News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones Season 1  (Read 396018 times)

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones
« Reply #300 on: November 03, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »
I think that the girl playing Arya, Masie Williams, is spot on for that feisty little tomboy. Both those young ladies are going to be big stars from this.

Lighty, try this:
Use the icon for inserting an url, then replace ] with = so that it is url=  then put in the address, placing it inside quotes "address"  Then, after the closing " place a ]  Then add the name or word that you want to show and at the end place the /url in brackets.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:06:17 PM by Sable899 »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #301 on: November 03, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »
Thanks Sable . . . so:

Article from the Belfast Telegraph about the book signing blatantly stolen from the Winter is Coming blog for the express purpose of testing this procedure, which I will NEVER remember unless I tattoo it on my arm, which seems a bit excessive . . .even though (having just done 'preview') it works like a charm and looks so much better than just pasting in a URL.

Oh, if I only had a brain . . .

And I agree, the little girls are spot on for the characters (and the young man playing Robb is a cutie!)

Lady Jane

« Reply #302 on: November 04, 2009, 04:31:49 PM »
Hi all. Got back from Belfast this evening, soaked, shocking hangover, oh, and have also lost my voice! Fantastic day and night!
Met George and Parris, Robb, Jon Snow, Sansa, Arya, and Jorah Morment (Ron Donache, think Jorah is his character) Not Sean, sadly. Though woz good fangurl and quizzed everyone about him. Have loads of news and gossip for you and pics. Will make proper report tomorrow, as am too wrecked to faff about uploading pics now (but I hear there is one of me and Siobhan over on Westeros) We were the last out of Mc Hughs, then went clubbing, met some terrific people from the Brotherhood Without Banners. Watch this space....

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #303 on: November 04, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »
Looking forward to it, LJ! Great you had such a good time.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #304 on: November 04, 2009, 06:26:16 PM »
Sounds like you had a lovely time, LJ!

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #305 on: November 04, 2009, 06:29:33 PM »
Haha... I'd describe it more of a "rocking" time than a "lovely" time. 

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #306 on: November 04, 2009, 07:58:13 PM »
Some pics are up and more reports on the Westeros board.  Heh... they reported a "delegation" from a Sean Bean fan site.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #307 on: November 04, 2009, 08:52:40 PM »
A delegation?  Gracious, you must have made quite an impression, LJ!

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #308 on: November 05, 2009, 01:59:47 AM »
Hope you've recovered LJ. Looking forward to your investigations!

Lady Jane

« Reply #309 on: November 05, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »
OF GEORGE RR MARTIN & THE BROTHERHOOD WITHOUT BANNERS

When we arrived at Eason’s there were some 80 -100 people in the queue. George was seated on a little platform toward the back of the store, so the queue twisted in and among the shelves. I recognised some faces lurking in the corner as various young members of the cast. When Richard Madden arrived looking very handsome and dapper, George introduced him as “our Robb, and the best dressed man in Scotland.” My very good and patient friend Siobhan (who has not yet read the books, but plans too) took photographs with my camera. When I reached Mr Martin I told him I’ve been posting on his Live Journal as JC_Jewel, he smiled indulgently and said “oh great”, though I’m quite sure he had no idea who I was as hundreds of people post there!
Next I spoke to little Maisie Williams (Arya). She is tiny and possibly the sweetest little girl in the world. She is twelve but looks younger. But she is very chatty and friendly and has a big personality. Her Dad was staying close to her, no doubt worried about his child being surrounded by loads of mad fantasy fans. Sophie Turner (Sansa) also stayed by her side. Sophie, at thirteen is very tall and pretty, and is also very friendly. I asked the girls if they knew what they were letting themselves in for and they both said that while they had not read the books their parents had and had given them pointers on what to expect. Maisie is having horse riding lessons and has not yet begun sword practice. Sophie is glad she doesn’t have many scenes with horses as she is allergic to them!
Next I spoke with Alfie Allen. I said “so you got out of bed and got a job” (referring to his sister’s not very flattering song about him). He laughed and sighed, obviously hears that a lot! He said he was glad to have a day off as they have been working hard but they are all loving it. I asked him if he would be joining us for a drink later but he confessed to having a hangover after a skin full the night before, he also gave me a very suggestive and charming wink!
Next came the gorgeous Richard Madden (Robb Stark). His Scottish accent is heart-warming and he is a truly lovely person, very friendly and relaxed. He made me feel like we were old friends! When the series airs he will undoubtedly be all the girls favourite and be catapulted into the heart-throb category, I would bet my pension that he will be compared to Orlando Bloom, who he does bear a resemblance to.
Next  I spoke briefly to Ron Donachie  (Rodrik  Cassel, Winterfell’s Master at Arms, not Jorah as I said in my bleary-eyed post last night!) who is a charming gent and to Kit Harington (Jon Snow). Kit seemed very shy and quiet and a somewhat reluctant star, but he is very good looking, behind those Clarke Kent glasses. But I later learned that he was exhausted from three seventeen-hour days, so his reserve is entirely understandable.
Later at the moot..........as I am a mere lurker on Winter is Coming and Westeros, I didn’t know anyone, but was surprised to notice that almost everyone else there did know each other! A group of ten from Westeros had travelled together to the event. I was introduced to the lovely Silverstar, who posts a lot on that site. I also met Rimshot who was integral in organising the moot, and is a good N Ireland man! The lady at the next table to me (Hi Suzie!) was with her son and daughter (Sean and Nicole) all huge fans of the book, but Suzie confessed she was really there in hopes of catching a glimpse of Sean Bean. Well, Id found a friend! Our discussion drew some laughter from the die-hard fantasy fans, am I bovvered? By then I was too drrrr..merry to care! George and Parris had arrived by now, also Maisie, Sophie, Ron, lovely Richard and Esme Bianco. I tried on several occasions to speak to Esme but found I was unable to break through the hoards of men surrounding her! She is lovely and very tall but I couldn’t help marvelling at just how very ordinary she looked. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying she didn’t look attractive but I was surprised by her girl-next-door quality. It seems she has that enviable quality of being loved by the camera, because having seen some pics of her taken by others on the night she looks totally glamorous and gorgeous. (I must have that quality too, only in reverse! I’m very glamorous in reality but photographs make me look scruffy!)
George made a short speech and then opened the floor to an American guy who proposed to his girlfriend! She accepted! George joked that the guy obviously wasn’t worried about the curse on weddings in Game of Thrones! I then wandered over to George’s table to shake his hand and tell him how nice it is to meet a favourite author who isn’t dead! I asked about Dance with Dragons, and said I hoped that would not be the last we hear of Westeros. He assured me there are TWO more to follow, I was so delighted I kissed him (yeah, I know, don’t even try to count the number of times I embarrass myself!)
I chatted some more with Maisie and Sophie who were working the room like true professional actresses (closely watched by their Mums). When I asked them how they like having Sean Bean for a Dad, both sets of eyes lit up and they gushed about how lovely he is! Outside for a smoke with a young guy who thought I was about 25, and refused to believe I am 35 (all good!), Parris came along. I don’t think she smokes but she stood with us anyway. I asked her if she’d met SB and again, eyes lit up. She told me that when she met him he kissed her on both cheeks, “I can still feel it, the brush of his beard on my face”
“And you haven’t washed your face since?” I ventured,
“Too right!”
Then lovely Richard came along again, while we were talking about the books, he begged us not to tell him anything about Robb as he isn’t very far into the books. Then he and I headed in again, chatting all the way, I swear he is the nicest person, every woman there was half in love with him by then, myself included.
There was a book raffle for charity, Siobhan won a book. Got chatting with Alex, a really nice German bloke who had travelled alone to the event, and also an Australian couple. The Australian bloke had turned up at Doune Castle and begged to become an extra; they had to give him a job!  Met JacMac30, who is also on set, she blogs on WiC. What could she tell me of the Bean? Well, he’s much shorter than you might think, and is very popular with pensioners! Also, as he was walking on set she wished him luck and he didn’t respond! I got to apologise for him at that point, explaining that he would have been “in the zone”  by then and would not have heard her!
Met some more folks, had many more drinks and then realised we were the last people in the bar and the staff were giving us dirty looks! So Siobhan and I and two or three others headed to Thompsons, which is a bit of a dive, but we danced the night away, and had more drinks!
Siobhan woke me at 7am to say she was heading home as she had a class to get to. I woke at 12 and headed to the bus station with a pounding headache but a song (of ice and fire) in my heart.

Me and George RR Martin

Maisie and Sophie

Alfie

Ron Donachie

Lovley Richard Madden

Me & Lovley Richard

Kit Harington

The prized autographs

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #310 on: November 05, 2009, 12:49:30 PM »
Nicely written, LJ and some very nice picture memories for you!  Delighted you had a good evening - even if you did pay for it the next day.  Not at all surprised Sean didn't go to either the signing or the moot . . . he really doesn't seem to be the sort to mingle with strangers - especially fans.  Not a criticism of the guy, though - I grant I'd probably do the same where I in his shoes.

And what is it with this 'shorter' thing?  How tall do people think he is, anyway??

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #311 on: November 05, 2009, 12:52:15 PM »
He's supposed to be 5'10", but like everthing else, gravity does play havoc on  your body as you age, so he's likely to be closer to 5'9" by now.  Costumes and the camera add height and weight to a person's appearance.

very popular with pensioners!
This just makes me laugh.
 :mutley:

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #312 on: November 05, 2009, 12:54:22 PM »
Great to see you had such a good time!

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #313 on: November 05, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »
Sounds like a really friendly event LJ -glad you could remember all of it!

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #314 on: November 05, 2009, 01:08:11 PM »
Ahhh... what a lovely time you had, LJ.  :)   :thumbsup:

Lady Jane

« Reply #315 on: November 05, 2009, 02:52:11 PM »
I think when we have only seen someone on screen we imagine them to be larger than life, a real big character, then it comes as a surprise to find that actors are very normal even quite ordinary people. Im always guilty of thinking famous people should be taller! I did get the impression though that he is very much liked, the girls were very enthuiastic in their praise.
Have been checking out WiC and Westeros where I notice that I have been described as a "delegation from Sean Bean Online". Little ol' me? Well, I suppose I do make a lot of noise, perhaps they thought there was more than one of me!  Im only just getting my voice back!! But I have been pimping our excellent site to the best of my ability! Its possible that Sean etc. were filming on Tuesday, as they didnt halt production just for a fan get-together, it is a shame he didnt make an appearance, as it was very relaxed and not at all intimidating.. well except for mad drunk women kissing everyone...

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #316 on: November 05, 2009, 03:26:41 PM »
I'm glad that you had such a good time!

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #317 on: November 05, 2009, 07:19:27 PM »
He's supposed to be 5'10", but like everthing else, gravity does play havoc on  your body as you age, so he's likely to be closer to 5'9" by now.  Costumes and the camera add height and weight to a person's appearance.

very popular with pensioners!
This just makes me laugh.
 :mutley:

No surprise that he's endearing to pensioners - they're a lot 'safer' than people his own age and younger.  I suspect he likes them a great deal.

And I thought the consensus was he was closer to 5'11 than 5'10 . . . even with a half inch gone (and I'm only giving him a half inch because that's all I've lost and I have four compressed disks in my spine!) that's not going to get him close to 5'9!  Give the man his manly inch, Sable - I beg you!

I saw a picture of Esme Bianca - all those folks on the WiC blog talk about how TALL she is.  She's 5'8, so she must wear skyscraper heels! 

hklett08

« Reply #318 on: November 05, 2009, 07:47:16 PM »
quote from Lighty

No surprise that he's endearing to pensioners - they're a lot 'safer' than people his own age and younger.  I suspect he likes them a great deal.

I've noticed from the photos on WiC and Westeros that a lot of the GRRM book fans are young.  I think to them some of us here,  contemporaries of Sean, (myself included), may seem like "pensioners".    :oops:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:49:03 PM by hklett08 »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #319 on: November 05, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »
I've noticed from the photos on WiC and Westeros that a lot of the GRRM book fans are young.  I think to them some of us here,  contemporaries of Sean, (myself included), may seem like "pensioners".    :oops:

Also being in his cohort I have to say . . .

ARGGGGGGGHHHHHH.  Thanks BUNCHES, HK . . .  I just felt myself shrivel!   :rofl