News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Hello poll -we're off again!  (Read 23938 times)

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: New Hello poll -we're off again!
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 02:38:01 PM »
It wasn't Colin Firth, it was Hugh Laurie and Hugh won because he was very high profile at the time for having won a best actor Emmy for House.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 06:45:56 AM »
Sean has well over 700 votes now, but the guy who was in last place, Robson Green (whom I've never heard of) suddenly moved into 2nd place.  He only had a few votes previously, but now he has over 100 votes.

seanya_ro

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 07:11:15 AM »
i keep on voting, but the score doesn't change. why? it's the 4th time i look and there are still 750 votes. maybe my browser works bad.  :poorme:

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:15 AM »
does it day 'thanks for voting' when you've voted? If you put the letters in wrong it doesn't seem to register your vote.

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »
he's the first, I've just voted and with my vote, 811

Offline Dusty

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 10:18:48 AM »
When I attempted to vote on my Firefox browser with the cookies for that site blocked, I got this message after I voted: In order to cast your vote please insert the letters that appear in the pictures  above the pictures of the men. (I tried multiple times, entering the site new with each try, thinking maybe I'd gotten the letters wrong. You can't really mess up 'nqrt' can you?)

When I turned the cookies back on for that site, my vote went through fine and I got the 'thanks for voting' message above the pictures.

1st Conclusion: they know.
*cue spooky music* oooOOOOooeeeeEEEEEOOOOooooooo!!!!

2nd Conclusion: don't turn off your cookies, you won't be able to vote.

3rd Conclusion: Have a beantos...  :beantos
On occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary ~James Nicoll

seanya_ro

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 10:20:04 AM »
does it day 'thanks for voting' when you've voted? If you put the letters in wrong it doesn't seem to register your vote.
yup, it said that. maybe is just because of the browser

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »
I haven't any problem to vote, so I do

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 10:38:12 AM »
For those of you new to Hello Mag polls, trust me, they know just about every trick in the book and have, over time, implemented blocks to prevent "stuffing" the ballot box.  I've simply resigned myself to voting according to their rules.  The main thing is to not drop our guard.  Just because he's way ahead now, we can't take a break.  As you have seen, you can never guess when someone will jump ahead and you never know when you will encounter a bunch of dedicated fans of someone you may never have even heard of.  This weekly poll is nothing compared with what it takes to win him a monthly, and lets not even think about the annual. 
 :coma:

Offline RnRPaintGrL

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 11:33:23 AM »
but the guy who was in last place, Robson Green (whom I've never heard of) suddenly moved into 2nd place. 
He was big on British TV. He was the lead in Wire in the Blood playing a clinical psychologist who aids the police hunt down serial killers. It was a great show. I wouldn't call him hot tho.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »
I've simply resigned myself to voting according to their rules. 

Oh... you mean... vote, close browser window after your vote has been accepted, delete cookies, bring the page back up and vote again?  Or maybe... use three different browsers which means you can vote 3 times every 10 minutes?

*whistles innocently*

Hmm.... I wonder if they check the fan sites to see if fans have figured out new ways to get around their cookie system.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »
but the guy who was in last place, Robson Green (whom I've never heard of) suddenly moved into 2nd place. 
He was big on British TV. He was the lead in Wire in the Blood playing a clinical psychologist who aids the police hunt down serial killers. It was a great show. I wouldn't call him hot tho.

Thanks for the info.  I was too lazy to look him up.  I don't know if that is just an unflattering picture of RG or not, but he doesn't look attractive to me at all. 

I found out that they knew our tricks after I blocked cookies and then couldn't vote.

Offline Blue Jay

• Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
Robson Green is a great guy actually, although of course not nearly as hot as Sean. I don't know who put that pic up, but it's from Wire in the Blood and he runs around in an anorak there. Not the hottest of garments.

Offline RnRPaintGrL

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »
He's a great actor. I love Wire in the Blood, but I'm not watching it for his looks. Anorack or not, bleh. With almost 800 vote lead I don't think we have much to worry about.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 03:07:16 PM »
One of my fellow Chefs made a great suggestion:  While you are on the Hello site voting for Sean, pop on over to the monthy poll and vote for Orly.  At least then, Sean won't be up against Brad Pitt on the annual.  I don't think I could take another drubbing like he gave Sean last time.  He's beaten Orly before, so it would be a bit easier on us all if Brad was eliminated.

Offline Blue Jay

• Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 03:08:45 PM »
Oooooo, devious ......

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 03:49:23 PM »
Yeah.... that's strategy.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
He just passed 1000!

Soulmate

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 07:15:52 AM »
Oh... you mean... vote, close browser window after your vote has been accepted, delete cookies, bring the page back up and vote again?  Or maybe... use three different browsers which means you can vote 3 times every 10 minutes?

*whistles innocently*

Hmm.... I wonder if they check the fan sites to see if fans have figured out new ways to get around their cookie system.

I really love the way you think, Syl *ggg*
And I ask myself: do they take it THAT serious to find out how fans vote?  I mean - isnīt it about page-hits and the way can can sell ads better if they have a lot of traffic?

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »
I've simply resigned myself to voting according to their rules. 

*whistles innocently*

Syl - I know I'm being a stick in the mud, but once again - they know about these tricks and they will 'adjust' as they see fit.  They look not just at IPs and such, but also patterns of voting.  You can do it, but they are aware of it.  They don't bitch about it, they just delete votes.  A couple of years ago, an actor was booted from first to fifth or sixth (can't recall details) because of over-zealous fans.  It could have been Sean - the other fella's fans were just more egregious, having set up auto voting scripts and the like.  There were some SB fans doing the same thing (so not innocent) just not as many of them - so I guess Hello decided to punish only the one group.  But Sean got knocked to second one year - very late in the running - because of votes deleted, so they aren't giving him a pass, either.

You can do all that stuff - but you're not getting away with anything.