News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones Season 1  (Read 395399 times)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2009, 09:40:28 AM »
It would be cool, but don't they only do that sort of re-casting in soap operas?

I can't recall ever seeing an actor play multiple characters (unless it was deliberate) in a single show.

Correct me if I'm wrong . . . I'd like to think Sean could live on.  The Benjen character lives for awhile?

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
Yes, Benjen lives for quite a while.  But it is brought out that Benjen bears a very striking resemblance to Ned.  Its all a bit of wishful thinking.  We have yet to find out exactly what will constitute the whoe 10 episodes

shalgerson

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2009, 08:46:13 PM »
Well, lighty.  Patty Duke played identical cousins (yes, cousins) in "The Patty Duke Show", though, of course, that was intentional.  :bluecat (Oh, boy, I'm dating myself again!!)

But I digress. I would soooooo like to see SB do this!!  The quality of HBO productions is becoming well recognized (so much better than, say, the NBC "Crusoe") and Eddard would be a major role (not a cameo with a ridiculous wig) that would both suit and challenge SB and should up his exposure.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2009, 11:58:49 PM »
The Hollywood Reporter has this and it sounds pretty darn official what with the other actors being announced also:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i7c23ccda60974aa21b3bdee7a644c3a8

Sean Bean has nabbed the lead in "Game of Thrones," HBO's adaptation of the George R.R. Martin fantasy-book series. Tom McCarthy is directing; David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who wrote the screenplay, are executive producing.

Mark Addy is in final negotiations to also join the production. Kit Harrington, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd also have come aboard.

The books revolves around a battle among seven kingdoms and between two ruling families for control of the Iron Throne, the possession that ensures survival through a 40-year winter to come.

Bean will play Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark, known for his sense of honor and justice, who becomes closest adviser to King Robert (Addy).

Harrington will play Jon Snow, Bean's bastard son, and Lloyd will play Viserys, a powerless ruler who seeks to marry off his sister to a powerful king. Gleeson will play Joffrey, King Robert's son.

Peter Dinklage also is in the cast for the production, which is in the pilot stage and begins shooting in October in Ireland.

Guymon Casady, Carolyn Strauss, Vincent Gerardis and Martin also are executive producing.

"Thrones" marks the latest fantasy epic-style production for Bean. He recently wrapped shooting on "Percy Jackson & the Olympians," an adaptation of Rick Riordan's children's book. Bean, repped by CAA, also has "Black Death," a supernatural thriller set during England's first bubonic plague, in postproduction.

I think this is the official announcement we've been waiting for  Its hitting the wire services now:
http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSTRE56J09D20090720

Kari just found this too:  http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=57293

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:22:57 AM by Sable899 »

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »
Saw the wire services.  *grins*  I set up a new alert for myself.  Not just electronic games anymore.  Teehee.

What a great title.  "Sean Bean ascends to Game of Thrones"

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:10:06 AM by Sylvene »

Offline RnRPaintGrL

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
Looks like I need to get myself a copy of these books now.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »
http://grrm.livejournal.com/95840.html

From the author's blog:

Well, Reuters has the story out already, so there's no longer any reason for me to keep mum. Yes, the rumors you've been seeing all over the web the last few days are true. Another huge piece has fallen into place for the HBO pilot of A GAME OF THRONES -- we have signed Sean Bean to play the part of Lord Eddard Stark.

For the movie fans out there, Sean Bean needs no introduction. I mean, what the hell, he was Boromir and he was Sharpe, he was terrific in both roles, and in a hundred other parts besides. I can't imagine a better Ned. The deal took some doing, so my fingers have been crossed for a month now (and boy, that made it hard to type), but now it's done, and I'm thrilled.

My curiosity is piqued.

Offline RnRPaintGrL

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »
Okay then, Sean getting the role made me go to barnes and noble online and buy a used copy of the book. For $5 not too bad. I've got high hopes.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2009, 11:25:04 AM »
I'm starting to read it tonight. Just finished what I was reading, so I saved it.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »

"You killed Ned!  YOU BASTARDS!"

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2009, 11:49:32 AM »
I LOVE that!!!!

hklett08

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2009, 12:16:31 PM »
YES! :blade: :hellyeah2:

Lady Jane

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »
ITS OFFICIAL!

Im pleased!

shalgerson

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
 :burst: :rockets:  THIS IS SUCH GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockets:  :burst:

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2009, 02:22:05 PM »
I found this very appropriate, considering the news today.

http://dionizije.deviantart.com/art/Eddard-Stark-teaser-poster-50263988

DISCLAIMER!  It's a photo-manip.  Fan Made... and made in 2007.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:17:31 PM by Sylvene »

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
It's exciting that it's now official news!

Thanks for finding that poster, Sylvene!  I was looking at the other actors that are mentioned.  Do you think that Brian Cow is supposed to be Brian Cox?  And why did Sean have to be listed last?

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »
MF - it's a Fan Made speculative poster.  Made in 2007.  It's just appropriate because it's become reality.  :)

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2009, 04:49:16 PM »
http://grrm.livejournal.com/95840.html

From the author's blog:

For the movie fans out there, Sean Bean needs no introduction. I mean, what the hell, he was Boromir and he was Sharpe, he was terrific in both roles, and in a hundred other parts besides. I can't imagine a better Ned. The deal took some doing, so my fingers have been crossed for a month now (and boy, that made it hard to type), but now it's done, and I'm thrilled.

My curiosity is piqued.

Speculates....  he gets to choose Catelyn Stark?  :D