News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones Season 1  (Read 395371 times)

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
HBO's Game of Thrones Season 1
« on: May 07, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »
I'm starting to get a bit giddy over this project.  First, David Beniof and Dan Weiss went onto the forum for the book series to ask for casting suggestions.  Now, they have gone and cast the first major role and it is exactly in accordance with the wishes of the fans.  Then today, following the announcement of the casting of Peter Dinklage, the author of the book series, George R.R. Martin, posts this entry in his blog:  http://grrm.livejournal.com/86651.html

Now, for anyone who happens to be a fan of this book series, you are sure to be screaming in your head "SEAN WOULD BE SOOOO PERFECT FOR THIS PROJECT!"  and you would be right.  There are actually several characters that are perfect for him, and in the casting suggestion posts and polls, his name keeps turning up over and over again.  The forum is at: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showforum=25  Now, with that cryptic post title, could it be that George himself is "spilling the Beans"?

This series is exactly the sort that many Beanophiles have been hoping would come his way: a prestige HBO series without all the restrictions of network television, filming will take place in Belfast, Northern Ireland, filming doesn't start till Fall.  The latest news is summarized regularly at : http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/2009/05/dinklage-was-martins-top-choice.html  

I know I'm certainly keeping an eye on developments with all fingers crossed.   :hellyeah2:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:05:32 AM by Sable899 »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »
Haven't read any of these books, but what role do you think Sean should play?  Most of the characters seem to get offed in fairly short order, as far as I can tell.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
But lighty... that means they are all perfect for him.  No?

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »
So... Sable.  Which character?  :)

Ed Stark?  The patriach?

Jaime Lannister?  Gorgeous, Blonde and Green-eyed?  Or too old to play him?  But ohh such a complex villain...

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 03:28:55 AM »
Fot those of us who don't know anything about the series/books/HBO, can you give us an idiot guide please??

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 04:13:24 AM »
It's written by George R. R. Martin.  7 books in the series called A Song of Fire and Ice.  A Game of Thrones is the first.  Fantasy medieval Europe like world.  7 kingdoms striving for power. 

The houses are:

House Tully
House Arryn
House Lannister
House Tyrell
House Martell
House Targaryen
House Stark

It's horribly convoluted and the first time I read the book and discussed it with friends, we had to keep referring back to the book and we kept saying we needed a study guide!  What Martin does is to tell the story from several Point of View (PoV) characters.  Each book has different characters.  There are 5 books written and we don't know if the HBO series is going to be based only on  the first.  It would be amazing if it were, and the second season goes on to the 2nd book. etc.

Book One is mostly about House Stark:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Game_of_Thrones 

It's power play, political intrigue, assassinations, arranged marriages, poisonings, kidnappings, incest, etc. etc.

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:28:12 AM »
I think I would like this,

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »
Thanks S.  It sounds good -confusing but good! Still trying to work out Red Riding, but i'm willing to give anything another go. Would we be likely to get it over here though?

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
It seems like HBO as well as Showtime are being very open about their original series and they are being shown over there now, especially the ones that are more international in flavour, like The Tudors. Likely it will be available on pay cable channels, like here.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
Ok, as for pilot characters, Sean has made the list for two of the characters: Eddard Stark and Jorah Marmont.  I'm in favor of Jorah Marmont mainly because he's more of a man-at-arms, which Sean excells at and because he doesn't get killed off early as Eddard Stark does, but he's not as important as Eddard Stark.  However, the character of Eddard Stark physically reads like Sean.

Now, if they fail to cast Sean for either of those characters, in the following books, he makes the list for Blackfish Tully, Davos Seaworth, and Benjen Stark.  He's a bit old for Benjen, but not drastically so, nothing a little hair dye wouldn't rememdy.  The other two characters are lesser in importance.  So the Benjen Stark character is the one I'm hoping for.

The ideal situation would be for him to play Eddard Stark and with a little Hollywood magic the character gets to live on.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
Somehow, I don't think the fans of the books/game would approve of Hollywood changing the story.  Eddard death seems to be integral to the story, unfortunately.  To bad he wasn't one of the characters to just disappear "not to be seen for a long time".

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »
Oh, that would be a lovely idea, Sable.

With a bit of Hollywood magic...

Sean as Eddard Stark - looking older than he is... then coming BACK as Benjen Stark - with the familial resemblance & looking younger than he is.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »
Oh....My...Gawd!!!!  Syl, what a brilliant idea!!!!!  You should go over to the forums and post it.  I bet Beniof and Weiss would find the idea interesting to say the least!!!  And it would solve the problem of killing off one of the characters that Sean is ideal to play!!!  If I remember correctly, Benjen Stark gets a bit more "action" than Eddard.   :thumbsup:

hklett08

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
   've received word, from what looks to be a legit inside source, that Sean Bean has been cast as Eddard Stark in the Game of Thrones pilot. The source mentioned that it happened yesterday but does not know when it might be officially announced.

Winter Is Coming: Would be great, if true. I'm filing it under rumors for now, but it seems like the real deal. We will just have to wait and see at this point. If the deal was finalized tomorrow than one can hope that it will be officially announced very soon. Keep an eye on this blog and my Twitter page, for as soon as we get some official confirmation, I will let everyone know.

From Winter is Coming site:

http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/2009/07/insider-sean-bean-cast-as-ned.html

We'll see if its true  :cupid

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 12:30:51 AM »
Well, that would be interesting.  At least it keeps him working.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 07:16:46 AM »
I hope that it's more than just a rumor.

Zamwyn

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 10:08:18 AM »
You've wet my appetite for this. I do hope Sean gets casted for a role, but even if he doesn't, it sounds like something I'd very much like to see.

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 11:04:59 AM »
it'll be good for him

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
It keeps him working and brings him to HBO for a whole season, if they use one book of the series per season.  If they use Game of Thrones for several seasons, which would be easy to do given the amount of material in the book, We could be in for a nice little spell of Sean as the GOOD guy, Lord Eddard Stark.  Yes, Ned is one of the GOOD guys.  

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 11:17:16 AM »
Just have to implant the idea in their heads to bring him back in the 3rd season as Benjan Stark.

*nods*