News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones Season 1  (Read 396752 times)

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2009, 07:52:16 AM »
I think that Peter Dinklage is a good addition to the cast.  I've  never seen Threshold or Nip/Tuck, but I have seen him in the Station Agent and a few other movies, and have always enjoyed his work.

Offline RnRPaintGrL

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »
I can't say I've ever heard of him. He doesn't look familiar. Well as long as Sean is still in it, I'll watch it, otherwise so far I'm not really impressed.

Lady Jane

« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Id forgotten PD was in Nip/Tuck, he played the nanny to the McNamara's little boy, and had an affair with Joely Richardson's character, God he was great in that, thanks for reminding me of it! Isnt it funny how all actors are connected to each other, Sean and Joely, Peter and Joely, Peter and Sean, I love making connections with whos worked with who, its like that game Six Degrees of Separation. Can anyone here connect themselves to Sean, in six steps or less, I wonder.
Ive just realised how I can. Some years back I had the good fortune to take an acting masterclass with Fiona Shaw, at the Playhouse in Derry, she is a beautiful person and an incredible actress, and of course she starred alongside Sean in Anna Karenina. So thats my link, just 2 degrees of separation, ah, so near, and yet so far!

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2009, 10:56:39 AM »
I think you'll like him in the role, RnR - he is a very good actor.  They may have been going for a slightly younger guy - I think PD is about 20 years younger than WD - I get the impression that the character is not that old (late 20s, maybe?)

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Tyrion is the youngest of the Lannisters and Cersei and Jaime are about mid-thirties.  Cersei was old enough to torment Tyrion when he was an infant by twisting his willy till he screamed.  What with the aging up of the characters it maikes sense to assume Tyrion is around 30.

PD was hilarious in Death At A Funeral.  He's very much like Sean in acting style tho.  He knows how to use his facial expressions and eyes.

tinytim

« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2009, 01:14:30 PM »
PD was hilarious in Death At A Funeral.  He's very much like Sean in acting style tho.  He knows how to use his facial expressions and eyes.

Right. He was brilliant there and I appreciate his work very much. Great that he's in. Good choice!

Offline RnRPaintGrL

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2009, 11:52:05 AM »
I found a forum for Martin fans, but sadly I can't post in it. They have some sort of "waiting to annoy you" period  :frustrate:

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
GRRM is such a tease.  :P

The five roles... well, we have cast Jaime Lannister and Theon Greyjoy, I let that slip in Montreal... the three new ones are all females. A couple small roles, but very important ones. One player has something in common with Ned. One has something in common with Harry Potter. One is not a boney pop singer. Shows can get cancelled and so can characters, but two of them have been seen on American tv recently.

And that's all you're getting from me, until HBO blows the trumpet.

On his Live Journal

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2009, 10:26:28 PM »
"One has something in common with Ned" . . . combined with 'spilling the Beans (not Bean)' in an earlier post . . .

OMG.

PLEASE tell me they haven't hired the :bride: to play Cersai (or any other role).

I may not be able to stomach that.

:arrrgh1:

ARGGGGHHHH.

Okay.  Wait a second.  Small roles . . . can't be Cersai then . . . Sansa? 
Oh, geeze - now THAT role I could see her playing (and how perfect to have his child bride playing his child?)
Still couldn't stomach it . . .
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:29:07 PM by lighty »

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2009, 11:27:55 PM »
Well, he did have two legitimate actress wives... Real actresses I mean.  Maybe one of them?

Offline RnRPaintGrL

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2009, 01:44:14 AM »
Well the only justice would be having  :bride: cast as Old Nan. But that only makes sense if one has read the books far enough to know Old Nan's description.
The Harry Potter one is that girl from the HP series. I don't know her name, but she was one of the main actors in it. That's my guess anyways.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2009, 03:44:25 AM »
"One has something in common with Ned" . . . combined with 'spilling the Beans (not Bean)' in an earlier post . . .

OMG.

PLEASE tell me they haven't hired the :bride: to play Cersai (or any other role).

I may not be able to stomach that.

:arrrgh1:

ARGGGGHHHH.

Okay.  Wait a second.  Small roles . . . can't be Cersai then . . . Sansa? 
Oh, geeze - now THAT role I could see her playing (and how perfect to have his child bride playing his child?)
Still couldn't stomach it . . .

Sansa is 11 in the first book I believe. Even if they upgrade the ages, she will neve be able to pass for a, say, 18-year-old. There's no way she could do that, so I think you can be relieved on that point. Cersei? why not?

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »
Okay, let me put it this way.  A woman with any self-respect wouldn't take a role that her husband is 'starring' in (Bragelina aside, as Jolie already had established herself before she took up with Pitt). 

Even if she auditioned, the question of whether or not she was hired because she's his wife would linger - since clearly Mrs. Bean is either:
1. not that interested in pursuing an acting career, since she hasn't done squat since the play right after they met, or;
2. can't act her way out of a paper bag, and hasn't had a single call-back since that time.

If she does indeed appear in this show, it begs the question of why.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2009, 06:14:11 PM »
Melanie Hill as Lysa Aryn would be perfect.  But I don't recall that Lysa makes an appearance until the second book.  Abbie as Cersei?  Hmmmmmm, now there's a thought...

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2009, 09:53:32 PM »
The rumor floating on the winter is coming blog seems to be Carice van Houten as the 'connected to Ned' person.

I can live with that . . . I bet he can, too . . .

Offline RnRPaintGrL

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2009, 01:38:49 AM »
Shes' very pretty. I wonder which character she could be tho.
Yes Lysa Arryn does appear in the first book, I've just finished reading her chapter. However I believe the book describes her as having pumped up quite a bit since Catelyn last saw her and aged past her years. I'm trying to rack my brian or a good suggestion but I'm really terrible at matching actors up with book characters.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
More from GRRM.

One of my clues seems to have been puzzled out by many of you, so I will fess up and admit that you're correct -- yes, the line about "small but important" roles refers to two of the children. You will, alas, never get those two. Even if I told you their names, you'd never find 'em. They're not on IMDB, and when you google 'em you get dozens of listings for other people who share their names, but none for the child actors. So they're essentially unknowns... but I have seen their readings, and I think that both of them will be great.

That still leaves four adults you can try to figure out, though. And among the hundreds of theories and guesses, I've seen a couple of you getting it right... or coming close, riding the right theory to the wrong conclusion. So keep at it.

In the absence of an announcement, I'll give you a few more clues. One cast member was played by a puppet. Another has been seen wandering a castle exclaiming about roses. A third is too good to be true. The fourth is the fifth. Esquire thinks one of them is hot.

'Nuff said.

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2009, 04:19:40 AM »
What a great way of keeping people interested in the whole project.

I don't have a clue who he's talking about but it's a fun idea!

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2009, 01:00:47 PM »
GRRM's latest tease:

Things are progressing, though. The production offices have opened in Belfast, and soon pre-production will be underway in earnest. We have had a postponement, though: filming will start two weeks later than previously announced, on October 26 rather than October 12. No big thing, just a tweak to allow David and Dan and the rest of the gang to get all the ducks in a row. On a project of this size, you can't have crooked ducks.

I expect to hear that several more roles have been filled by week's end. Though that doesn't mean I will be able to tell you who has filled them. Sorry.

Seven kindoms, seven gods, and seven parts now cast that I can't tell you about.

Ser Seven is another terrific award winning actor. He will be going back to a place he's been before. This is a guy who once went to the wars with our Jaime, though it's a good thing that Jaime wasn't a kingslayer then, or all history might have been changed. And there are mountains in Westeros that he might know, though his character has never seen 'em.

More by week's end, maybe.

And the announcement? Don't ask me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:02:48 PM by Sylvene »

Lady Jane

« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2009, 02:46:54 PM »
Now some 300 pages into the book and I have my heart set on David Thewlis to play Benjen Stark. He is a terrific actor and has that cold and craggy look that would be perfect. He is also just enough like Sean in appearance to be a convincing brother, though not as handsome, but who is!! Will post a pic in a minute for comparison sake. And the wonderful Pete Postleswaite to play the loyal Stark servant Maester Luwin? PP has been mentioned a lot over on GRRM's non-blog, and Martin himself has said that somone already cast is connected to Bean, PP could be that person, both through Sharpe and When Saturday Comes. Just my hopes, you know how it is, when you're reading you have to put faces to the names in your head. Of course when I read "Bran" Im seeing the little kid from The Shining and that wont be happening!