News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones Season 1  (Read 396068 times)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones
« Reply #1100 on: May 02, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »
Confession time - I'm not really enjoying GoT as much as I thought I would. 

Nothing wrong with the quality of the production, and I absolutely love Sean's acting and will happily watch all his scenes over and over again because he's so good in this.  However, the rest of it isn't doing much for me.

I do love fantasy - the highlight of every Christmas Day when I was a child was when my parents gave me the latest David Eddings book on Christmas morning.  As long as my David Eddings book was there, I'd be content.  I'd then disappear happily for the rest of the day apart from a brief appearance for Christmas dinner. However, I guess the thing with fantasy is whether you personally like the world that's been created, and I just haven't been able to get excited about this one.

I have bought the first book and attempted to read it but haven't been drawn in yet.  Again, nothing wrong with it but it's just not pushing my particular buttons.  I'll try reading it again next weekend when I have more time.

Initially, I had considerable trouble engaging with the first book - it was probably halfway before I started to 'enjoy' it (I hate starting and not finishing a book, which is what kept me going).
The 'fantasy' aspect is very subtle throughout - until the very end, in fact.  It is still pretty subtle in the second book and then starts to increase in the third and fourth.

My recommendation is that you slog through - I was hooked by the end of book one, even if I was provoked at what happened to Ned.

As for he series; I'm enjoying the acting performances more than the storyline so far.  That maybe because I know what's going to happen - a friend who hasn't read the book is becoming quite intrigued.  She commented that although she knows what happens to Ned, the way the parting scene between the couple was played would have left her imagining something quite different if she didn't know which way it would turn. *I am not going to divulge anymore to her!*

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #1101 on: May 02, 2011, 09:24:44 PM »
Yes I think having read the books may help in understanding what is going on.  Also get more out of it when I watch it a second time as it is on demand with Comcast, so I watch each episode twice.  I am really enjoying the acting and of course Sean is great in the role.  However iI am having a problem with the queens brother played by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.  Everytime I see him he reminds me of Prince Charming in the Shrek movies and I just laugh.   

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #1102 on: May 02, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
Hmmm, thing is I really don't like my favourite characters getting randomly killed off.  I'm spending half my time in dread of what's happening next to Ned.  And since I tend to be one of those 'All or Nothing' personalities, I'm either going to care intensely or I'm not going to care at all.

And possibly the other problem is that either I don't like half the characters, and others I'm just not very interested in what happens to them yet.  I think as a dog lover I was more bothered by what happened to the dire wolf at the end of episode 2 than I would be if 90% of the characters bit the dust next episode.

I'm just trying to think what entranced me so much about the David Eddings books apart from the fact the fantasy element is very strong throughout.  One thing I found unusual about those books was explained years later when it turned out that his wife Leigh was secretly the co-author.  That explained a lot to me, because I could detect a female mind in there somewhere, and the mix of a male and female author really worked.

I am persisting with GoT but I don't think I'm ever going to love it with a passion. I'm still really happy for Sean though and am hoping it's a big success.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #1103 on: May 02, 2011, 10:51:40 PM »
The book and characters start out rather predictably.  As a friend described it...  "The sneeringly obnoxious princeling turns out to be a cowardly bully and makes trouble between his elders - what a surprise." But it does get better.

I found his writing style very easy reading. His prose flows well. But I remember heated discussions with friends about this character and that, and wishing for "Cliff Notes" to sort the characters and houses out. I also remember discussing his kid characters with lots of "I don't care if their life-span was shorter / got married younger - kids of XX age don't do YY."  It was a difficult book to pick up and set down, then try to remember what you read a few days later.  I also remember being soooo very mad at the way he was killing off my favorite characters.

When I re-read the books, I didn't finish even the first because I got mad all over again.  LoL.  I was reminded why I stopped reading, didn't want to read the end of the first and refused to start the second because I remembered why I hated it too.  LoL.  If only I were as good a writer - to educe such passions from my readers.  :P

I have no doubt though, that someday when I'm on a holiday somewhere, that I'll read them again.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:53:55 PM by Sylvene »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #1104 on: May 03, 2011, 01:31:03 AM »
Sky Atlantic Thronecast Episode 3

http://skyatlantic.sky.com/game-of-thrones/thronecast

HBO Game of Thrones Homepage with Episode 3 recap,inside the episode and Episode 4 Preview.

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #1105 on: May 03, 2011, 01:50:26 AM »
Yes I think having read the books may help in understanding what is going on.  Also get more out of it when I watch it a second time as it is on demand with Comcast, so I watch each episode twice.  I am really enjoying the acting and of course Sean is great in the role.  However iI am having a problem with the queens brother played by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.  Everytime I see him he reminds me of Prince Charming in the Shrek movies and I just laugh.   

It's something like that for me too. And he's just a bit too nondescript, hope I'm using the right word. So far I don't find him a very good actor yet. I have no idea really what he's capable of, because I haven't seen him in anything else, so he may get better as the thing goes along.

I also agree with Lighty on the Little Finger person. He's not at all what I had expected him to be.

But so far I'm really enjoying it. Most of the characters have been very well cast and Tyrion is exactly what I had imagined he would be. Looking forward to the rest.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #1106 on: May 03, 2011, 01:30:57 PM »
Strong Ratings for Game of Thrones

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/5142/

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #1107 on: May 03, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »
Strong Ratings for Game of Thrones

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/5142/

Yes, I had no trouble at all ignoring that bit of 'breaking news' (hard pressed to care unless it's going to change something in the here and now . . .).

As I told my friend, the only thing that would keep me from turning the channel would be if the Prez was telling me that a nuclear bomb was headed for my city - and then I'd want to know how long it was going to take because I'd be provoked if I couldn't see see the end of the programme.

I am not a very concerned citizen, I guess . . .

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #1108 on: May 03, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »
I haven't read the books.  I am so often disappointed when watching a movie that was made from a book, but there are a lot of characters and storylines to keep up with here, so maybe the books would have been helpful to me.  I am also not a big fan of the fantasy genre, but so far, GoT has not seemed to be a fantasy program to me.  I see that lighty mentioned that the fantasy aspect was very subtle in the books, especially at the beginning.  The way GoT was marketed and written about beforehand made me think I would be seeing something different than what I have seen so far.

Besides Sean, I am enjoying several of the other actors.  But if Sean wasn't in this and I just decided to check out the first episode to see what it was like, I'm not sure that I would continue watching it.  I don't know if I will still want to watch it when Sean is no longer in it.  I guess I'll see how hooked I get on the story itself. 

I am glad that it is getting good ratings and hope that some people who weren't that familiar with Sean's work before, will now want to know more about him and check out some of his other work.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #1109 on: May 03, 2011, 05:01:29 PM »
I agree, and think that this show may finally get Sean past that "Sean WHO? . . . Ohhh, the dude that played Boromir/that blond baddie in NT/the scarfaced guy in Bond . . ."

In the US, anyway.  There seems to be a growing number of people doing the association thing now - noticing that the actor who plays Ned is the same actor they have seen in dozens of films.  And they're remembering his name, so he's getting name recognition to go with his face recognition.

I hope it helps his career!

Offline tanserke

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #1110 on: May 03, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
I agree Lighty !! Hope it's time for him to be recognize everywhere  :wrong !

hurinhouse

« Reply #1111 on: May 03, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »
Hmmm, thing is I really don't like my favourite characters getting randomly killed off.  I'm spending half my time in dread of what's happening next to Ned.  

I think as a dog lover I was more bothered by what happened to the dire wolf at the end of episode 2 than I would be if 90% of the characters bit the dust next episode.

yikes.  reading these 2 tidbits (plus being turned off by the way the female characters were treated in epi#1) leaves me less likely to pursue finding a way to watch future episodes after #1, since i agree with both of them. 

OTOH, reading lighty's comment (hi lighty!) about sean getting a chacne to stretch is enticing - he's deserved this chance for ages.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #1112 on: May 03, 2011, 11:09:11 PM »
Hurin, I think you would enjoy seeing our lad back in fine form, especially when interacting with the children.  You see worse things on the nightly news and the women aren't treated any differently than they are in any medieval story.  Frankly, The Tudors, Deadwood and Rome were far worse. 

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #1113 on: May 03, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
Hmmm, thing is I really don't like my favourite characters getting randomly killed off.  I'm spending half my time in dread of what's happening next to Ned.  

I think as a dog lover I was more bothered by what happened to the dire wolf at the end of episode 2 than I would be if 90% of the characters bit the dust next episode.

yikes.  reading these 2 tidbits (plus being turned off by the way the female characters were treated in epi#1) leaves me less likely to pursue finding a way to watch future episodes after #1, since i agree with both of them. 

OTOH, reading lighty's comment (hi lighty!) about sean getting a chacne to stretch is enticing - he's deserved this chance for ages.

Hey, hurin!  Nice to see you!

Be enticed - yes, Martin offs some of the major characters . . . but you'll also discover that the womenfolk come into their own.

Besides; we haven't seen AND heard this much of Sean since Sharpe!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #1114 on: May 04, 2011, 02:28:02 AM »
we haven't seen AND heard this much of Sean since Sharpe!

And he inspires people to all sorts of things!

http://twitpic.com/4sxrmt

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/05/game-of-thrones-bafta-qa/#comment-100658

As for Sean Bean, it is always the same thing : each time I see him talking about his roles, I dislike him : he does’nt look very sincere in his praises nor sympathetic, and seems not to really like the movie/series he is on (I had the same impression for the LotR).
But when I see him on screen, he really shines, and fleshes his characters. His Ned Stark is very different from the picture I had in mind, but he is so moving and seems so real !
If not a very likeable person, Sean Bean is without a doubt a great actor !

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:39:00 AM by patch »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #1115 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »

As for Sean Bean, it is always the same thing : each time I see him talking about his roles, I dislike him : he does’nt look very sincere in his praises nor sympathetic, and seems not to really like the movie/series he is on (I had the same impression for the LotR).
But when I see him on screen, he really shines, and fleshes his characters. His Ned Stark is very different from the picture I had in mind, but he is so moving and seems so real !

This is where his awkwardness gets him in trouble - because he's not terrible comfortable (his early interviews for GoT were awkward; he's gotten much more comfortable since) he comes off as somewhat measured and calculating, rather than passionate.  I know I found it difficult to equate the "Sean is a really nice guy" comments from those who know him with his video interviews at first, because he struck me as insincere. 
After having it pounded into my head by more experienced Beanies (and taking the time to really examine his body language and other cues - like that bit of tremolo he gets when he's nervous), I realised that it really was nerves, not attitude that makes him look that way sometimes.

At least the commenter appreciates his acting skills!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #1116 on: May 04, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #1117 on: May 04, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »
Hurin, I think you would enjoy seeing our lad back in fine form, especially when interacting with the children. 

Sable's right - there are some lovely scenes with him and his daughters - definitely worth watching for.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #1118 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »

I don't really get this. Why would anybody 'dislike' somebody for that?  To me he doesn't come across as insincere, just normal. Maybe it's an English thing, but I'd say I find people who gush about things more insincere.  A lot of English people are naturally reserved and we do tend to make fun of people who go OTT about things. Some interviews I see with people fawning over the director or producer make me cringe.

He's in a lot of things - it would be seem fake to me if he was squealing and orgasmic about all of them.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #1119 on: May 04, 2011, 10:27:30 PM »

I don't really get this. Why would anybody 'dislike' somebody for that?  To me he doesn't come across as insincere, just normal. Maybe it's an English thing, but I'd say I find people who gush about things more insincere.  A lot of English people are naturally reserved and we do tend to make fun of people who go OTT about things. Some interviews I see with people fawning over the director or producer make me cringe.

He's in a lot of things - it would be seem fake to me if he was squealing and orgasmic about all of them.

My perspective (FWIW) . . . generally, we expect actors to be comfortable in front of a camera.  Sean is often not very comfortable in front of a camera and his awkwardness; expressed in fidgeting, stumbling over words, lots of 'ers' and 'umms', touching his face, etc; can be interpreted as insincerity - as if he's trying for an "aw, shucks, ma'am - it's jus' my job" sort of 'everyman'.

Now, we know because we follow his every waking moment (something weirdly stalkerish there . . .) that he really IS the Yorkshire version of that 'everyman' - we know that all that fidgeting and stumbling IS because while he's perfectly comfortable in front of a camera when he's playing a role, he's no where near as comfortable when the spotlight is on HIM.

I suspect many - if not most - people do not know that this enormously talented, charismatic, intelligent man is shy - so all they see if what they EXPECT they're supposed to see and that's an actor who is supposed to be comfortable in front of a camera.  Since he's not, then it must be an act.  If it's an act, he must be insincere.

It doesn't help that a number of the things he does in interviews (not since his divorce, interestingly) are 'tells' - those unconscious movements and touching (like rubbing his nose) can be indicators that someone is being less than honest.

It is interesting to me how much more comfortable he is talking about GoT (since his divorce - compare that first HBO short clip where he talked about his role to the more recent interviews) . . . really makes me wonder just how miserable he was.