News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones Season 1  (Read 396135 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones Season 1
« Reply #1480 on: January 10, 2012, 05:12:26 AM »

SCRIPTEASE Game Of Thrones: Season One
A condensed version of the first season by the Reduced SFX Company

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/01/09/scriptease-game-of-thrones/

ACT ONE
We meet NED SHARPE… sorry, STARK, the head of a family who keep COMPLAINING about the fact that WINTER IS COMING.

NED SHARPE/STARK: It’s right nippy out. I think it’ll snow soon.

EVERYBODY: Gasp! Oh no! Woe is us!

NED SHARPE/STARK: Oh, right, yeah, I forgot. Winters are bad round these parts.

CATELYN STARK: We never have enough salt to grit the roads. It’s like living in Surrey.

NED SHARPE/STARK: Bloody government cutbacks! Never ’appened when I were a lad.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #1481 on: January 10, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »

SCRIPTEASE Game Of Thrones: Season One
A condensed version of the first season by the Reduced SFX Company

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/01/09/scriptease-game-of-thrones/

ACT ONE
We meet NED SHARPE… sorry, STARK, the head of a family who keep COMPLAINING about the fact that WINTER IS COMING.

NED SHARPE/STARK: It’s right nippy out. I think it’ll snow soon.

EVERYBODY: Gasp! Oh no! Woe is us!

NED SHARPE/STARK: Oh, right, yeah, I forgot. Winters are bad round these parts.

CATELYN STARK: We never have enough salt to grit the roads. It’s like living in Surrey.

NED SHARPE/STARK: Bloody government cutbacks! Never ’appened when I were a lad.

That was funny - well done to the writer!

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #1482 on: January 15, 2012, 11:39:10 PM »
Peter Dinklage won the Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-series or Motion Picture Made for Television.

Homeland beat out Game of Thrones for the Best Television Series - Drama.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #1483 on: January 16, 2012, 12:36:12 AM »
Homeland!?!?!?!?!?!?! What a predictable piece of poorly-acted crap!   :bart

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #1484 on: January 16, 2012, 12:42:46 AM »
Well, the BAFTA Television awards nominations will be announced in April - maybe GoT (and Sean) will get a nod.

I'm happy for Peter Dinklage, but the prejudice against fantasy is writ pretty large on these awards shows, overall.  Homeland won because it channels current politics.  I saw a couple of episodes and didn't find it either 'challenging' or 'thought-provoking'.  Tedious, trite, and transparent, yes.  Challenging?  Not so much.

And The Descendents got best drama?  Seriously.  That film was lame.  gah

Just saw your reply, Sable - great minds . . .!

Offline tanserke

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #1485 on: January 16, 2012, 03:46:18 AM »
Well ...  :wellll:  :wellll: "Toujours les mêmes" .... Always the same .... :damnit

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #1486 on: January 16, 2012, 05:30:47 AM »
It's always the wrong people who get the awards. Personally, I don't give a hoot. It's like getting a knighthood here. The weirdest people get one and I suppose it's the same in England. Wit awards it's the same. So many things are going on we don't know of. It's all about who knows who and who scratches whose back.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #1487 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
Homeland???? It's OK at best, and the acting (??) is awful. I agree with all of you it's just politics and a dislike of fantasy. :slyfox

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #1488 on: January 17, 2012, 12:20:06 AM »
George R.R. Martin Talks GAME OF THRONES Without Sean Bean

“We’ve only had one episode after Sean’s character died, and well, we’ll find out how it affects things,”

http://www.upcoming-movies.com/Articles/george-r-r-martin-talks-game-of-thrones-without-sean-bean/

Offline tanserke

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #1489 on: January 17, 2012, 03:24:33 AM »
Well.. it's without Sean ... For us it's important. But it's without Eddard Stark and books 's fans know that. Martin doesn't explain if he has lost many readers in 1996, do you know something about that in US ? 

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #1490 on: January 17, 2012, 07:43:32 AM »
The books have a big following but he has right to be concerned about whether the season two will have the same following as season one.  Both Sean and Mark Addy were killed off in season one and these two fine actors gave the series credibility with fans.  With them both gone it is hard to say if Peter Drinkledge's fame will be enough to keep people tuned in.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #1491 on: January 17, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
There's a lot of assumption here that the only reason for anyone to have watched the show was for Sean and that without his character the show won't be worth watching.  Should Martin be a bit concerned?  Probably, but that is simply because of the nature of telly shows that live or die according to the whims of network executives that are ridiculously reactive to ratings.  The book series didn't end after just the first book.  Did Lord of the Rings film 2 and 3 bomb after Boromir was killed off?  LOTR went on to achieve far more after that and there weren't any actors that were considered top tier at the time. It had a great ensemble cast of character actors.  I tuned in to the first episode of Tudors because Sean Pertwee was in it and then he got killed off in the first 5 minutes.  But, it took just that one episode to hook me on the entire series. None of the big cable series featured any top tier actors.  The Borgias features just one single actor who could be considered top tier and Jeremy Irons is really just a good character actor.  He makes me cringe every time they show him in sex scenes. *ewwww... In fact, none of the biggest shows on network telly feature big actors either.  They put together ensemble casts that often lose major charactors along the way.  Look at all the big shows in the past 10 years and you will spot the trend right away: Lost, Gray's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, etc. There certainly are a lot of good actors turning to telly, ie: Glenn Close in Damages, Timothy Hutton in Leverage, but they are actors that have been and would likely remain unemployed in front of the camera in the first place due to age.  Would their series be less successful if they were't on those shows?  Most likely, simply because the shows have great ensemble casts that do the big job of telling great stories. It rarely takes big name actors to make a successful telly show these days. We may have watched GOT simply because Sean was in it, but that's not what made it a great show. The books continued after Ned and Robert were killed off simply because they are great stories and trust me, there are far more fans of the books than there are fans of Sean.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:42:50 AM by Sable899 »

Offline tanserke

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #1492 on: January 18, 2012, 03:40:59 AM »
Thank you Ladies for explanations ! It's difficult (in France) to know what think really people in US about this kind of show. So we will see after season 2 (I have read all books and the saga is not finish ...) .

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #1493 on: January 18, 2012, 03:55:41 AM »
Replay Season 1 of Game Of Thrones every Thursday at 10PM, starting on January 26th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPOQJs790I

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #1494 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »
Got wins Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Television Series at the Sag Awards

http://www.sagawards.org/awards/nominees-and-recipients/18th-annual-screen-actors-guild-awards

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #1495 on: January 31, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
Bean in Feb issue of Costco Magazine... which I finally remembered to scan.

and

But - here's the important bit.

A book of photos special to buying the DVD or Blue-Ray Season 1 set from Costco in March.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #1496 on: February 16, 2012, 04:30:53 PM »
Hungarian article about the Hungarian doubles who replaced Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Sean Bean in their fight scenes.

http://comment.blog.hu/2012/02/16/tronok_harca_kaszkadorok_1

Sean Bean], while a dedicated, professional actor, who always szerencsétlenkedik rehearsals, then when recording is megtáltosodik, the cameras have been fully and professionally fix everything. And he also has a direct, real buddy with whom you can kick the evening the hotel bar, with a staggering weekend at the disco.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #1497 on: February 16, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »
So, if I'm reading that correctly - Sean always fumbles (?) rehearsals, but then, when filming, is ??? (this word is used a lot in Hungarian but apparently has no translation) . . . but the cameras fix everything.

So he screws up during rehearsal and in filming the camera has to fix things?  That doesn't sound like what we know about him.

Then, he's a great guy to spend an evening out with at the bar and really lives it up at the disco on the weekend (presumably watching rather than doing John Travolta imitations).

THAT sounds more like what we know about him.

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #1498 on: February 16, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
So I thought he often did not get things right in rehearsal but then turn on the camera and he nails it.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #1499 on: February 16, 2012, 11:30:04 PM »
Translated by a Hungarian    http://early-lavender.tumblr.com/

The gist of it is basically that the Hungarian doubles of GoT got the SAG prize. The guy in the interview, Domonkos Párkányi has actually played double for Brad Pitt in Troy and in Kingdom of Heaven AND in GoT for Nikolaj because they look so alike and everything :)

Domonkos says that Nikolaj is a very talented and great actor who fights and rides well. He rarely had to replace Nikolaj because “he’s that type of actor who likes to do their fightscenes.”

When he is asked if Sean Bean is like him in that respect Domonkos says: “No, the opposite!” His double was Gáspár Szabó and he had a lot to do with Ned’s fight scenes since Sean doesn’t like to do much moving :D

He always lets his doubles do the job, but given the fact that he dies a lot of times in his films, it’s understandable that he’d only do the most crucial action scenes by himself. At the same time Sean is a very dedicated and professional actor who is always clumsy at the rehearsals but when the camera is on, he becomes a semi god and does everything perfectly.

He’s also very friendly and a good buddy to get drunk with at the hotel’s bar and then party all night long in the weekends.

These two [Nikolaj and Sean] are definitely not one of those actors who when they finished their scene just go back to their trailers but actually pay some attention to us.

THAT’S BASICALLY IT.

Okay, there’s more in the article actually, but regarding Nikolaj and Sean that’s all he says about them.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:31:56 PM by patch »