News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Armstrong and Miller period dancing.  (Read 5727 times)

Tom Plunkett

Armstrong and Miller period dancing.
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:54:03 AM »
It being the eve of the Bath Jane Austen Society's annual Regency shindig, I thought these sketches apposite,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjPbj0MVBFg&feature=related

That is the fourth one, the others are just as funny.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: Armstrong and Miller period dancing.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 09:13:08 AM »
 :mutley:

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:18:09 AM »
Gawds those were funny.. :catlaff

And would you be attending said shindig, Tom?  If so, we expect a full report with some pics.

Tom Plunkett

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:55:39 AM »
I'm not going this year, but am going to a little period soiree this evening. Its held in a house that has been used as a location for various Austen films and so on, I'll ask Penny to snap a few pics- the problem with hussar dress is I have nowhere to conceal a camera- everything is so tight.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
You can get reeeaaallllyy small cameras nowadays ......

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:01:51 AM »
Thanks, Tom.  I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.  We just don't HAVE that sort of thing out here where I live. I'm really quite envious.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »
We don't have that here either as far as I know. Have a lovely evening!

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:13:58 PM »
I couldn't get Youtube to behave, but will certainly take another look. 

Now, Sable and BlueJay, you'll just have to come visit... or plan visits.  English Country Dancing is flourishing here in Seattle and there's a ball every year.  Where "period" dress ranges from the 17th to the 19th C.  Playford & Walsh is popular.  You need to know how to dance though.  :P  Or I guess we could stand around as wall-flowers and be spectators

The Jane Austen Society in North America is flourishing as well and they have essay contests for students  from middle school through university level.  There's also this lovely mansion in Vermont that has Jane Austen weekends.  http://www.onehundredmain.com/jane_austen.html  Are you ladies planning yet?

Better yet... Sable - want to attend the Medieval Culinary Symposium with me?  http://antir.sca.org/Upcoming/?Event_ID=2453  You don't have to be a member and I have a tunic or two that will fit you.

Bluejay - we can plan for next year's Costumers Symposium or one of the Intensive Needlework Symposiums.  http://www.collegiumoccidentalis.org/

Wanna come & bring your lady, Mr. Plunkett?  Obadiah might be interested in the Needlework Symposium!  :D

Lady Jane

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
LMAO Tom, those sketches are hilarious! Saw them on tv at the time, but was great to be reminded. Sailor's arm! He wishes!!

Tom Plunkett

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 03:58:43 AM »
Well that was a great party. What an evening. I didn't have time to snap any pics, despite Penny porting the camera all night in her ridicule. When I left at one, they were just getting atarted on the dancing. I've never regretted pre-booking a taxi so much. Phil Thomason was there to capture the pics though, so any I took would have been over-shadowed by his. He really is my favourite 'period photographer'. I daresay the pics will be up on his webby soon.
http://www.thomason-photography.net/ThomasonPhotography/Welcome.html

It amazes me what an underground ball scene there is here. I only go to one or two a year, but there are tens of the things, and I heard of some last night. Some of them are very strict about getting the kit right to the decade. Showing up in 1780s, or perish the thought, 1770s kit at an 1810 bash will see you refused entry. This really works when you have a party like last night, where the illusion  of another time was very intense. The dress was evening- almost entirely stockings and breeches for the chaps with the exception of a few rude soldiers and flashy hussar types (hussr gala dress get out clause activated!)

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »
Very nice pictures on that site. I love good pictures.

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »
Thanks Tom. I had not seen those sketches before . Brilliant.