News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sean and the Woodland trust  (Read 11412 times)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: Sean and the Woodland trust
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 12:19:39 PM »
So how do you know that he hasn't been personally involved with the Yorkshire reforesting effort?  We never knew he was involved with Phil's Millions either until some private photos turned up on Phil's site.  Who is to say what the hell he's doing when we are thinking he's being quite boring? He did donate quite a lot of money to the cause and did a lot towards raising hundreds of thousands of pounds.  I doubt his cottage in Sheffield is simply a place to sleep off the aftereffects of a footie match.  Given his absence from public eye, he's likely staying up there quite a lot now days..  So who is to say that he didn't make an effort to participate in the activity of actually getting the trees planted.  He said he was "personally involed", but does that necessarily have to mean he put hands to spade?  Its quite possible he was merely involved in the procurement of the trees and seeing that they got planted, even if he didn't plant them himself.  I know that if I had contributed a huge chunk of money that I would want to see where it is going and not merely hand it over to some foundation functionaries.

What you or I would do is totally irrelevant, since we're debating what he does or doesn't or might or mightn't do. 

I don't KNOW that he isn't involved.  Neither do you KNOW he is involved.  We have different opinions on this - and neither of us has anything more than speculation to base them on. 

You can choose to believe that 'personally involved' means a great deal.  Maybe it does. 
I can choose to believe that 'personally involved' means very little.  That may be true, instead.

My POINT - which you seem to be deliberately missing, Sable - is not whether or not he has been 'personally involved', but how people may react to a statement that is as vague as that.  Case in point:  I reacted poorly to it - the rest of you apparently not at all, since it was my comment that started this. 

As I said, it is a small risk that some people in Sheffield may question his veracity (and like you, I wander through forums and such and have seen absolutely vicious commentary about him from some in that city - they either love him or hate him, I guess).  Given that it was vague - and potentially misleading statement - it was, IMO, silly to include it in an otherwise excellent advert.

I could frankly give a tinker's damn if Sean plants trees - or really anything else he does in his personal time.  It's his life.  But when he uses his name and reputation to promote something, I'd like to see him do it in a way that leaves absolutely no wriggle room for critics.

He gets enough crap just for living - it makes me uncomfortable when he wades (inadvertently) into a potential sticky patch, and from my perspective, this poorly phrased comment is a potential sticky patch.

That's all I have to say about it.  If you want to believe that he is personally involved in reforestation efforts, go for it.  I think that would be a grand thing for him to do - and I hope you're right.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 01:37:39 PM »
I just don't understand why you reacted poorly to it, especially when nobody else seems to and nobody has piped up about it on any of the Sheffield-related boards.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »
I just don't understand why you reacted poorly to it, especially when nobody else seems to and nobody has piped up about it on any of the Sheffield-related boards.

I've already explained why I did - it was my perception of the comment.  That no one has said anything anywhere is good - but if I can't make a comment without having to justify my reasoning, ad nauseum, it starts to feel like a bit like that *other*  board, you know?

I persisted in this because I honestly did (and do) feel that way - and because my comment was met by a mild version of the 'how dare you criticize our precious' that is more common in other places . . . I reiterate MILD, because that's all it was - but I despise that sort of thing and reacted poorly to seeing it pop up here in any form.

I'm all for moving on from this - it's tiring.  Whatever Sean does personally is his business, not mine (regardless of whether or not I think it should be my business . . .)

It's a great advert and I hope it brings in lots of donations and volunteers for the Trust.  Really!

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 03:07:40 PM »
I hope that everyone else feels as I do that this board is one of those rare places where we can agree to disagree and love it all the more for it.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »
I hope that everyone else feels as I do that this board is one of those rare places where we can agree to disagree and love it all the more for it.

I'm sure everyone does, Sable, and I'm not pointing fingers anywhere.  I recognize that I am the resident cynic/skeptic and it probably gets tiring to see my comments pop up when all most want is an uninterrupted moment of 'awwww - ain't that the sweetest thing.'

I started this and take responsibility for it.  I'll end it, too, if it's okay with everyone . . . and just say again that I really do like the advert and enjoyed listening to Sean's lovely Yorkshire drawl.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »
At least he's not hawking Metamucil or erectile dysfunction drugs.

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 03:55:14 PM »
I recognize that I am the resident cynic/skeptic and it probably gets tiring to see my comments pop up when all most want is an uninterrupted moment of 'awwww - ain't that the sweetest thing.'

:lies :crap

Don't come here for 'sweetest thing' !! You  keep going girl- as has already been said everyone here is allowed their own opinion but we all also like a good discussion/arguement; and sometimes the warmer the better!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:57:32 PM by beanyfan »

Eve

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »

So right!
I love listening to the narration of this piece, he could read me bedtime stories any night.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »

So right!
I love listening to the narration of this piece, he could read me bedtime stories any night.

Do you have his narration of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table?  I have literally listened to him read bedtime stories before I go to sleep.  I'd say AS I go to sleep, but there's no going to sleep listening to him speak.

I'm hoping he'll take up a narration of 'The Brothers Karamozov' . . . because I might actually get all the way through the book if he's reading it!

ladyblue

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 01:45:05 AM »
So, everyone friends again? :)

I see your point, lighty, and I can actually see everyones point. Maybe we are all right or wrong, doesn't matter. And I know the disscussion has ended, so I'm sorry about this, but I feel the need to say this. How many actors have done the same thing, but worse even? With bigger "lies"?

I understand that just that frase might have caught some peoples attention, but frankly...I don't think it is going to hurt his credibility, not much more than any other actors. And the fact is, his status as an excellent actor, as many other brittish, and some other actors, is high enough to make people forgive him for that. And he has shown many times more that he really want's to be "one of the people" and maybe he really is, I don't know him well enough :)

In any case, his voice made me find him, now I found him, and now I get to hear him even more, thank's to this site/forum.
I don't have the english language as a native language, but he made him self perfectly clear and I could hear what he said, without any words that I couldn't understand.

But....who cares! :) His voice is heaven, and just listening to it.... :coma:

tinytim

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 02:36:36 AM »
Just to throw in my cent: I don't care how many trees Sean plants or does not plant, but I do care about reading honest opinions and discussions here. So, please, lighty and everyone, don't hestitate to say what you think. Too many sweet things just causes toothaches.;-)

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 07:44:04 AM »
It is very refreshing to read everyone's differing opinions here.  I would not want to belong to a site where I felt like I had to toe the line and never express my true feelings and beliefs.  My posts in this thread were in no way criticizing any other member's opinions, they were simply my own thoughts on the matter.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:16 AM »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 04:41:56 AM »
Published Date: 12 March 2010
SEAN Bean is using his earthy Sheffield tones to call for more trees to be planted across the UK.
The city-born actor has recorded a personal commentary for a new video spearheading the Woodland Trust's campaign to double native tree cover.

Sean says woodland adventures during his Sheffield childhood left such a mark he has recently funded extra tree planting in Handsworth.

"I have been personally involved with tree planting back home in Sheffield and can see the benefits it brings," he says in the video.

"We want to see a doubling of native woodland, to help people, wildlife and the planet.

"That's an ambitious target and needs commitment from both Government and you.

"We need you, your organisation, school or community to get involved.

"Together we can help UK woodland flourish."

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Sean-Bean-calls-for-a.6146703.jp

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 11:30:30 AM »
A more indepth article which says a bit more about his involvement:

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/news-media/releases/Pages/sean-bean-video.aspx

Even better is the piccie:

Mike

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
Great. So forget about my PM or read it well.

Hope you find the time to write again.  :naughty:

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 11:52:25 AM »
thanks sable, lovely pic

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 10:36:12 PM »
I love his smile.

tinytim

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 01:01:19 AM »
Cute pic. Seems he had fun by doing what he did. Thanks, Sable!:-)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:11:55 AM by patch »