News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The complete History of England in Movies  (Read 5135 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
The complete History of England in Movies
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »
The Complete History of England - In Movies
Do your homework the cinema way!

http://www.empireonline.com/features/complete-english-history-in-movies/default.asp
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:56:57 AM by patch »

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
Re: The complete History of England in Movies
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
ROFL!  Starting with Monty Python and the Holy Grail. 

Love it!   :jester:

shalgerson

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
 :face  :wellll: :wellll: :lies :evillaugh :wtf?: :happens: :censored: :bang: :loopy: :insane: :whiteflag:

tinytim

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
lol Shalgerson, I think you actually missed a couple of the available smilies - not many, but I'm quite sure there are some more to post.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:47:19 PM »
I wish that my history teachers had let us watch Monty Python in the classroom.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »

I have shown clips in my classes - but only for fun!  I also show clips of Sharpe - because even on a tiny scale, they do a good job of showing both the style and the 'reality' of warfare in the period.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:06:12 PM »
Well,Age of Heroes would fit right in.

shalgerson

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »
LOL!!!!!  I probably did miss a few!!!!   :arrrgh: :arrrgh:  Hollywood has seldom gotten even close to historical accuracy :viking:

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »

Possibly, patch - haven't seen it so I can't attest to the accuracy of the portrayal.  I probably wouldn't use it though, simply because students tend to be more familiar with 'modern' warfare.  The style of fighting was just beginning to change in the Napoleonic period - tactics were slowly shifting (the concept of skirmishers was one of those concepts - building on lessons learned during the American Revolution and the Scottish risings, among others - and made really possible by advances in technology).

Student's can read about a battle with orderly lines of infantry advancing en masse - or cavalry charges by saber wielding horsemen - but it's hard for them to really conceptualize that kind of polite and horrific warfare.  Some of the Sharpe episodes bring the truth of that kind of fighting straight to them; they suddenly understand what it meant to 'stand and fire' in conditions that almost defy imagination.

We are not our ancestors - our reality is so very different than theirs.  Using clips like those is one way of getting that idea across to my students and it seems to make it a little easier for them to accept that people did things that only seem like they make no sense.  It's a hurdle they need to cross so they don't get hung up on the 'huh??' factor during their examination of the past.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:45:19 PM »

I have shown clips in my classes - but only for fun!  I also show clips of Sharpe - because even on a tiny scale, they do a good job of showing both the style and the 'reality' of warfare in the period.

I do the same sometimes and it's interesting to see that what they did such a long time ago still hasn't lost its impact even though everything looks outdated. The absurdity of most sketches never fails to get through.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:34:49 PM »

Sorry, I meant AoH would fit in the Complete History of england in movies.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:39:23 PM by patch »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »

Sorry, I meant AoH would fit in the Complete History of england in movies.

AH - please forgive the mini lecture, then!  :backout

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »
No need Lighty,I enjoy your lectures very much!

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »
Just read this through! Not a bad summary!  This could give The Reduced Shakespeare Company a run for their money!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »
Oh,I've seen them twice .The show about Shakespeare and the second one about movies,I laughed my head of.  :hahaha:

DhampirVampire

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 02:36:10 AM »
That made me laugh that Monty Python and the Holy Grail was first!  :hellyeah2: My 7th grade English teacher showed us clips of Monty Python in class a few times. It was great! There were some good movies in the list but I would have to agree with Shalgerson about Hollywood being historically acurate. It usually never happens... I was actually pretty proud of myself for introducing Sharpe to my high school World History class. I expected my teacher to take home my muti-regional DVD player and watch Waterloo but he didn't and we just watched the entire thing in class.  :thumbsup: Got us out of school work for a couple days, I should have been praised by my peers. lol.

Just read this through! Not a bad summary!  This could give The Reduced Shakespeare Company a run for their money!
I love the RSC!!  :rofl I have the show about Shakespeare in my computer and it never ceases to be funny!