News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New adaptation of Lady Chatterley's Lover  (Read 1968 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
New adaptation of Lady Chatterley's Lover
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:26:21 AM »
BBC One to adapt Lady Chatterley's Lover
Line of Duty's Jed Mercurio is to adapt a new version of DH Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover
Lady Chatterley's Lover was censored in English for nearly 30 years since its original 1928 edition. It tells the story of an upper-class woman's affair with her gamekeeper. It was previously directed by Ken Russell as a BBC serial starring Joely Richardson and Sean Bean in 1993.

Jed Mercurio said: "Lady Chatterley's Lover is a novel that constitutes a milestone of English literature. I'm immensely excited by this opportunity to dramatise its iconic themes in a fresh and original way."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a566434/bbc-one-to-adapt-lady-chatterleys-lover-an-inspector-calls.html#~oClSI0wx1lONhD

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:51:43 AM by patch »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: New adaptation of Lady Chatterley's Lover
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
Translated:

This "milestone in English literature" is dull, so I'm going to change it up in a "fresh and original way" that has only the barest resemblance to the "iconic" book.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »
I'm sure it will do equally well as the other Bean iconic film remake, Anna Karenina.  They'll find some twenty-something flash-in-the-pan wannabe actors, to fill the roles and then cry about it when nobody watches the thing.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
Don't forget the mumbling ....

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »

He's not a writer that's known for nice gentle storylines.  The conflict will be well to the fore in this one.  (Not to mention a disjointed storyline to keep the viewer guessing - or confused).

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »
The one thing that I've always wished for in the adaptations, all that I have seen, is that they always ignore Mellor's internal dialogue that adds so much to his actions in the book. The things that go thru his head are at times comical yet so very much a statement of the social class system of the time period.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
I think emphasis has always been on the sexual part of the book and there is so much more than just that.

Offline bubble

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Super Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »
I thought I heard recently it was Rob Stark who was to play Mellors. He's made such an impression on me, I don't even know his real name.

Amber

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
Yes, it is a shame that it is the nudge-nudge-wink-wink aspects of the book that are always concentrated on rather than the more literary qualities, and the amazing writing of D.H. Lawrence not explored more.  I thought that the BBC  would have been slightly more faithful but then the director was Ken Russell so that thought went out of the window!

Anyway, we'll see - shame it wasn't the era of the Andrew Davies adaptation; think what he did for "Pride and Prejudice" and add Sean - wow!  But it is quite sweet that the metaphorical baton is being passed from screen father to screen son.

His name's Richard Madden btw.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:16:04 PM by Amber »