News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Last Kingdom  (Read 2459 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
The Last Kingdom
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:25:36 AM »

Ripper Street  stars in Viking drama

Ripper Street stars Matthew Macfadyen and David Dawson are teaming up again for an "epic" drama set in ninth-century England featuring Blade Runner star Rutger Hauer.

Filming has started on BBC drama The Last Kingdom, based on a series of best-selling books by Sharpe author Bernard Cornwell, which has already been likened to the hit fantasy show Game Of Thrones.

Dawson, who plays journalist Fred Best alongside Macfadyen's detective Edmund Reid in Ripper Street, will play King Alfred the Great in the eight-part series.

Alexander Dreymon, who starred in American Horror Story, plays the main character - the son of a Saxon nobleman kidnapped by Vikings and raised among them before returning to England to fight them.

Further details about the cast have not been released but it also includes Ian Hart alongside Hauer and Macfadyen.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/tv/story/ripper-street-stars-in-viking-drama/ar-BBfADL0

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: The Last Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
Oh wow! They got Rutger Hauer! Wonder if he'll play Uhtred's Viking father figure or if they are going to use him as the lead-in and voice-over of the elderly Uhtred??? Interesting development. I have been holding on to the thought that there is no way they will get through this series without finding a role for Sean. There's just too many good Northerner characters, both good guy and bad. I can sooo see him in this.

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:30:04 AM »
So did anybody watch this all the way through? I watched a couple of episodes but kept forgetting about it. I think I liked Brida better than Uhtred.  I went over to IMDb to see if it's having another season, and found someone had posted, "Couldn't they just sneak Sean Bean into the title role for the next series?"  Haha! He's too old for Uhtred, but his presence anywhere would definitely have made this show more appealing to me.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 06:59:25 AM »
So did anybody watch this all the way through? I watched a couple of episodes but kept forgetting about it.

I watched it all the way through.I liked it,they should definitely find a role for Sean in this.
A second season of ten episodes has been announced for a 2016 release.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Kingdom_(TV_series)

Sean would have been great in Vikings too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

And I just started watching War & Peace on BBC one,wich made me feel quite nostalgic for Anna Karenina and Sharpe.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3910804/?ref_=nv_sr_1

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:05:53 AM by patch »

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 03:43:42 AM »
Hhmmm I wonder if I was just in a restless mood when I tried to watch The Last Kingdom.  Might give the other 2 you mentioned a try.

I went to see the latest Star Wars movie at the cinema. I thought it was boring: bang, explosion, bang, explosion. Yawn.  Obviously, a jazillion people disagree with me since it's breaking all kinds of records. But that's another one where I thought, Sean should have been in this; he'd make an excellent jedi.

Offline lab183

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
  • Life is a song, love is the music
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »
Hhmmm I wonder if I was just in a restless mood when I tried to watch The Last Kingdom.  Might give the other 2 you mentioned a try.

I went to see the latest Star Wars movie at the cinema. I thought it was boring: bang, explosion, bang, explosion. Yawn.  Obviously, a jazillion people disagree with me since it's breaking all kinds of records. But that's another one where I thought, Sean should have been in this; he'd make an excellent jedi.

Yes, Sean as a ghostly vision of Obi Wan Kenobi - since Sir Alec G. has passed on.