News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARGH! Lying eBay sellers!  (Read 1866 times)

Amber

ARGH! Lying eBay sellers!
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:06:33 AM »
So, it's my birthday tomorrow and I decided to treat myself to something I have been sighing over for years - no, not Seanie, well, as well as him!, a beautiful vintage alligator bag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-large-1950-039-s-perfect-condition-glossy-black-Alligator-skin-handbag-purse-/281635621051?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2JfYfuTNriyxllNXrlb3zb8bwbQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

A new one in Harrods would be upwards of £8,000 so this was beyond a bargain.  Usually the black ones are very small and too modern but this looked fine and you can see how perfect the inside looks - some of them are absolute wrecks - and no damage outside so I got it.  It is still very small in comparison to my 'all you can carry and the kitchen sink' bags that I normally have but I would have adapted to it for those few times in a year that I would get to use it and the rest of the time it would have been out on display in my room for me to "ooh" and "ah" over.

It came yesterday and was stunning, just as lovely as the photos with the gold of the catch picked up in little bars on the bottom instead of the studs you often get but they showed wear which was my first clue that it wasn't quite the 'new, perfect condition, never been used' that the seller said, and it's a huge but (not unlike mine!), the catch was really worn and nine times out of ten of shutting it, it just came straight open again so, obviously, with that kind of bag, it was un-useable.  It would be fine for a collector who might not use it and just had it in their collection, on display, as 'art' but as I wanted to actually use it, it was hopeless so I sent it back.  And before you say it, no, I'm not expecting a vintage bag to be flawless, the wear on the bottom didn't bother me, I would accept that in a fifty year old bag but I expect to be told the truth about the wear so that I can make an informed decision.  If she had said that the clasp didn't work I wouldn't have bought it but if it had been fine, and useable, I would have loved it.

I didn't want to start a case against her and get her a defect if she really hadn't known about the condition of the clasp - I am so dumb/naïve/decent - but I thought it was odd that she had 'conveniently' just so happened to not show photos of the bottom which show the wear - so I sent it back straight away, forgetting that there are now new rules that dodgy sellers have to pay the return postage - I'm honest in my listings, so, fingers crossed, I don't have these problems, that's why I forgot as I've never had to do this for a buyer - so she has to refund me for the bag and the original postage I paid to get it to me but not what I paid to get it back to her including insurance as the bag was so expensive, because I didn't return in the way eBay need you to.

She got it back this morning and is STILL claiming it is brand new and has nothing wrong with the clasp and how "very naughty" I am to be sending it back saying it is faulty.  Astonishing, and so stupid as I have the final say with feedback and you know what that is going to say if she won't give me the postage I paid to get it back to her.  She doesn't have to because I was stupid being decent about her not getting a defect if it was an honest mistake - I *really* need to toughen up! - but she will get the truth if I don't get my full refund and I get two says and whatever crap she says about me, in response to "*BEWARE* Seller lies about condition. Bag un-useable due to wear." if it is negative or neutral will be removed by eBay and then I get to make another statement, and she *will* get a defect if she doesn't give me a refund of the postage I originally paid which she is also not planning to.  It would be the sensible thing for her to give me the full refund and I won't leave any feedback at all but I don't get the feeling she is smart enough to do that - she must think any idiot who will spend that amount on a bag they haven't seen deserves to be taken for all she can get out of them, which I'm starting to think is fair enough - I am *that* stupid!

Not a good start to the day.

I'll make sure I actually buy a bag I can see in the future.

What a bitch.  I had even seen an article about a new swanky 'Handbag Spa' for the repair and pampering of very expensive bags that has just opened in London and which I scanned in for her in case she needed it.  Sometimes I hate being me - must *BE* harder in the future and take a more Lannister approach to people:- "Everyone who isn't us is the enemy".  I don't want to be like that but I don't like being cheated either.

Vent over!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:08:20 AM by Amber »

7ty3

Re: ARGH! Lying eBay sellers!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:40:15 AM »
Sorry to hear about your eBay experience, Amber! I have had a couple of buying disasters in my time so I can relate. You are always taking a leap of faith buying an item sight unseen, so the very least a seller can do is provide an honest and accurate description so that you are making an informed decision. The bag looks lovely from the info provided - but the clasp not working properly is obviously a pretty significant issue and worth a mention!! People that mess you about like this just do my head in as well.

eBay woes aside, I hope your birthday was a very happy one!

:happyb:

Amber

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:29:45 AM »

Thank you on all counts - love the balloons and singers! :) - and fingers crossed that that I get *all* my money back tomorrow.

And on the subject of eBay, something funny for a change, I sold a silk top which would have to be posted tomorrow which is a nightmare as I have to get my mother up to London, in a wheelchair, on time for a class, which is hard enough with the nightmare that is travelling on a train with the ramps etc. without having to get to the Post Office first, but the item is going to an office block five minutes walk from the college we will be at - you couldn't make it up, convenient and saves me spending out on the postage too - eBay taketh away and then eBay giveth.

Not looking at any more skin bags - well, for a while anyway!!!!  :)

Amber

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:15:03 AM »

Well, she wouldn't refund all the money, was abusive in messages and thus has been reported to eBay, and she got the accurate feedback.  In the future, I'm not buying anything from eBay that I can't see is new and sealed - not having any more nonsense like this again.  eBay gave me a £10 voucher for the return postage she wouldn't pay so everything is fine apart from waiting to see what her response is to the feedback, a shitty mouthful about me is expected because, of course, *I'm* wrong in all this.

Amber

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:51:04 PM »

So I checked the feedback issue today and the seller has had it removed from her account!  I am beyond amazed - she lied, she cheated, she left me out-of-pocket, she messed up my birthday and she ruined the shopping experience I had on eBay which is pretty much the only thing they care about, and she gets away with it, no truthful feedback to warn others what her goods are like and what customer service they can expect, or that they will be cheated out of their money, no defect for her behaviour - I got one for something going astray in the post, with proof of posting! - and nothing about her behaviour actually breaking the law as something has to be fit for purpose and a one handled bag that won't shut is hardly fit for any purpose is it?

According to the Customer Services person I spoke to - who said that he thought the feedback should have kept on - even though the entirety of the listing stated that the bag was new, un-used, and in perfect condition, she has listed it as "used" and then had said to them that a used item is bound to have some wear and tear - WTF when her entire argument and listing is predicated on the fact that it hadn't been used so how could there be any wear and tear?  I give up - you cannot win with or fathom eBay at all.  I am beyond disappointed.

I am utterly bewildered at how that is supposed to be right in any way.

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
ebay and other sites like it can give you great deals, but sometimes real junk.  There is no way of telling unless you have already dealt with the seller.  You rely on the feedback from other customers, but if they remove the bad ones you are screwed.  I am very sorry about your bad experience.

Amber

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 02:02:51 PM »

Thank you :)

I spoke to someone in customer services again today because I really was just so appalled that they could behave in that way and condone the breaking of the law and I wanted her to be sanctioned for her dreadful behaviour but as I asking for the issue to be escalated it occurred to me that, as she is blocked from bidding on anything of mine, all she had to do was to get a couple of her friends to buy four things each and then start a case against me for Significantly Not As Described and with a defect on each, plus I would have paid the initial p. and p. as I do that, and then I would have had to pay their return signed for postage so I would have been well out of pocket and with eight defects that I, obviously, couldn't prove was part of her 'revenge', I would be banded from ever selling on eBay again and I am clearing the house so I need a place to be able to do that so, despite my temper, red hair - Scottish ancestry on both sides of the family - I let a cooler, smarter head do some thinking and decided the price I might pay is too high and left it as it is, and I hope she will do the same.

I buy moisturiser mostly and I make sure it's sealed, and if it is something to wear then it has to be new with tags so I should be okay in the future but those are the only things I will now buy from eBay; I don't have any faith in their sellers being truthful unless I can actually see the product.

Oh well!

And if I really have to have an alligator/crocodile bag, I will get one in Antiquarius in the Kings Road in Chelsea  where I will be able to see it first.