News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Frankenstein Chronicles  (Read 22398 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
The Frankenstein Chronicles
« on: June 15, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »
 The Frankenstein Chronicles trailer

Sorry The video has been removed

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qu0dk

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:48:16 AM by patch »

Offline Beanfan

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
Re: The Frankenstein Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »
Now that looks promising! :thumbsup:

Offline kristin724

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Fan
    • I Think, Therefore I Review
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 06:30:25 PM »

I really hope this comes to the US. Between Penny Dreadful, the McAvoy Frankenstein movie, and this, it seems like a crowded Shelley moment but I think gothic horror audiences have been waiting a long time so there's enough love to go around! I know I am so ready for this!!! :)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:33:57 AM »
Now that looks promising! :thumbsup:

I can't wait,really looking forward to this. :hellyeah2:

more pictures here     http://seanbeanonline.net/forums/index.php?topic=4758.msg106941#new

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:44:32 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 12:03:25 AM »
Drama on ITV this Autumn

Here's a look at some of the dramas coming to ITV this autumn... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CTu2buq66I

more pictures here   http://seanbeanonline.net/forums/index.php?topic=4758.msg107408#msg107408

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:25:34 PM by patch »

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »
Thank you Patch !! I so WANT to watch this !! :thumbsup:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:26:03 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 02:22:51 AM »
The same trailer on YouTube

The Frankenstein Chronicles - Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfnaiS6QgQA

Offline SMcFirefly

• Ian's Treasure
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 02:55:13 AM »
I hope that when they publicly announce the first trailer it will be different than this. Don't get me wrong, the trailer looks fantastic. But for people who do not read up on this stuff the trailer is lacking a plot overview.

Amber

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 05:41:03 AM »

Well, to me, it isn't billed as "Frankenstein" so anyone expecting that story will realise the different name means it's not just another rehash, and everyone is, surely, familiar with the concept of the dodgy doctor and his creation so this would appear, from the title alone to have something to do with that but something different too, it looks interesting from the trailer and it has Sean Bean - I think it kinda gives enough away to pique the interest, and you don't want to have one of those trailers like you sometimes see in the coming attractions at the cinema, where the trailer is so detailed that don't feel you need to see the see the actual film.

Surely the point of the trailer is to say that the plot will become obvious when you watch it, therefore, you *must* watch it, and it has Sean Bean so what's not to like viewing peeps!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:43:01 AM by Amber »

Offline SMcFirefly

• Ian's Treasure
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 09:01:18 AM »
I didn't mean have a trailer like the ones today that give the whole movie.  I showed this trailer to my wife and she said it looked nice but did not know what it was about.  And it needs to attract more than just Bean fans. It looks like a generic period crime drama in this trailer. It needs to show something unique in their next trailer to pull in a good audience.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »
Its a series, not a feature film. The plot will be long and convoluted and it has to differ from the Shelly Frankenstein story in order to have something to draw in viewers. Penny Dreadful on Showtime features a Frankenstein story so simply doing another take on the Frankenstein story is not enough. It has to be radically different. Plus, if it is going to have a chance at a life beyond one season it has to build interest in a story arc that will be able to carry on after the first season. Just the fact that Frankenstein is in the title gives you an indication what the basic premise of this first series will be, so any claim that "it looked nice but did not know what it was about" is an indication of a pretty obtuse person. In other words, the woman must have been an idiot.

Amber

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 02:31:22 PM »
I think we always have to remember that not everyone has the same level of education - I'm lucky in that; I have a degree in English and studied not only the book but the genre at Uni. - but not everyone has and some aspects of things that have come into popular culture are not what they appear to be unless you actually have studied something or know just that bit more about a subject for example, perfectly intelligent people think that the monster is Frankenstein not that he the is doctor, it doesn't make them obtuse or an idiot, it just means that maybe they haven't seen the various adaptations or read the book - I'd seen the original Boris Karloff film before Uni. and the Leonard Whiting version (only because I loved him in "Romeo and Juliet") but I hadn't read it, I was more into Stephen King at that point! - and I'd seen "Young Frankenstein" but if you haven't seen any of them, you might not know exactly what they or the book are about.

Another example would be monsoon; to most people it's a rain deluge but actually it's a wind.  It's use in popular parlance is completely and utterly wrong and, if you've been to India, as we have, it's something you get told fairly quickly, as your first monsoon season approaches but who else would know?

"monsoon (noun) a seasonal prevailing wind in the region of South and South East Asia, blowing from the south-west between May and September and bringing rain (the wet monsoon), or from the north-east between October and April (the dry monsoon)"

I think we all know all sorts of things, obscure and otherwise, we all just don't know everything.

And I'm hoping that it is just a one series thing - much as I'm sure it is going to be fab and I obviously want to see as much of Sean as is possible - I hate stuff that just meanders on and on.  It seems to be a 'thing' these days that you have a series that is good for the first one and then is left at the end without all the loose ends tidied up so that, if it is successful, another series can be made rather than thinking of something new, much in the way that Hollywood prefers to re-make something that worked back in the day rather than to encourage creativity and produce something new and different that has to be taken a chance on.  I get that the Hollywood situation is because it is all about the money but television these days is the new breeding ground for creativity so there is no excuse for the laziness.  Obviously there are exceptions but I'd like a series to just do its thing and be finished.  Unless you have the boxed set of DVDs, or it's something like "24" which was revamped every season, it's irritating not to have something just follow the story and character arc and be done so I'm hoping that "T.F.C." does its six episodes and all is finished, especially as we know Sean doesn't like to do more than one series anyway - didn't he say something like that about playing Ned? - and, realistically, how is it something that can develop all that much?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:30:44 PM by Amber »

Offline SMcFirefly

• Ian's Treasure
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »
Its a series, not a feature film. The plot will be long and convoluted and it has to differ from the Shelly Frankenstein story in order to have something to draw in viewers. Penny Dreadful on Showtime features a Frankenstein story so simply doing another take on the Frankenstein story is not enough. It has to be radically different. Plus, if it is going to have a chance at a life beyond one season it has to build interest in a story arc that will be able to carry on after the first season. Just the fact that Frankenstein is in the title gives you an indication what the basic premise of this first series will be, so any claim that "it looked nice but did not know what it was about" is an indication of a pretty obtuse person. In other words, the woman must have been an idiot.

Okay, there are many things I need to point out here. First off, you just called my wife an idiot (which she is far from).  The title just makes it sound like another Frankenstein adaptation. 

This is what the trailer should have showcased: Set in 1827 London, the drama begins when Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel recruits Marlott after a successful operation to apprehend a gang of opium smugglers. When Marlott makes the shocking discovery of a corpse that’s actually a crude assembly of body parts arranged in a grotesque parody of a human form, he is tasked by Peel with tracking the perpetrator. As he investigates, Marlott discovers that what he’s dealing with is more horrific than he could possibly have imagined.

This is what makes this show unique, so why not advertise it in the trailer? Like I said before, it needs to pull in more viewers than just us Bean fans.

Also, everywhere I have read has stated this is a 6 part miniseries so I do not understand this talk about any further seasons.

Offline crossing-sweeper

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »
McFirefly, you make this sound really interesting and it's the only occasion I've met a lucid account of what this show is about ... You should be in charge of writing press releases for TFC. I like this genre of fiction which revisits gothic Victoriana and remakes it for us today. The BBC's Ripper Street is a similar example.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
McFirefly, you make this sound really interesting and it's the only occasion I've met a lucid account of what this show is about ....

It's all information anybody could find in the press release published 17 Nov 2014.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-commissions-frankenstein-chronicles-starring-sean-bean

Offline SMcFirefly

• Ian's Treasure
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 06:33:11 PM »
Yeah sorry I guess I should have stated that lol. That was the synopsis given in the initial press release, which should have been showcased in the trailer to make it more interesting than what this initial trailer had shown.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
I can't recall any trailer that goes into a full synopses of what it is about. They are merely glimpses into the style and visual feel of a project. Some of the most effective trailers have very little actual footage and contain no dialogue. They are meant to pique your interest and raise your anticipation, not to give you a full-blown summary. I just find it extremely annoying when someone dismisses something out of hand simply because they don't know what it is about, which is the impression I got from the telling about the person who viewed the trailer. I don't agree that series should be a simple matter of 'do the 6/8/10 episodes, tie up loose ends and you're done'. There are far too many fantastic series that went on for several seasons, the first that comes to mind is Sharpe, followed by Ripper Street, Whitechapel, The Crimson Field, Call the Midwife, Mr. Selfridge, Sherlock and Downton Abbey. The Walking Dead started off as a single 7 episode series and look at it now. I would be horrified if they stopped with just the one series of the new Poldark.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:13:14 PM by Sable899 »

Amber

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 07:05:03 PM »

Sometimes, to me, more than one series of *some* things feels a bit strained and artificial, as if the premise has followed its natural course to the end but is just being kept going because it worked well in the first place so its just kept going rather than trying something new, and, equally, obviously, there are many times when that doesn't happen, though when it's a series based on a number of books like "Poldark" or "Sharpe", or the graphic novels that spawned "The Walking Dead", then, obviously, there is a flow, a timeline to follow and explore and 'natural' cliffhangers solved by the next book and that's fine but "T.F.C.", for example, is an artificially created series, written for its own sake, for want of a better description, so apart from the actual  original run of six programmes, where, realistically, can it go?

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »
Hopefully, it will go the same way that Penny Dreadful or American Horror Story have gone. As long as there are good writers out there who can craft original story lines and scripts they can go on a very long time, even longer if they pull in elements provided in period writings. Ripper Street, story-wise, has gotten stronger and stronger with every season and is now contracted through a 6th season and only the first season was actually centered on Jack the Ripper lore. The time period TFC is set in was awash in Gothic literature, featuring fantastical apparitions, supernatural phenomena and grotesque characters. TFC could actually go on for quite some time by pulling elements from the most horrific stories from English, German and Russian literature, in much the same way that Penny Dreadful has done.