News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Game of Thrones casting call: Ned Stark return in season six?  (Read 9079 times)

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
'Game Of Thrones' Season 6 Spoilers: Ned Stark Return, R+L = J And The Tower Of Joy?
By Charles Poladian | Wed, 2015-06-24

... Our hearts have always been with the honorable and totally dead Ned Stark, but what if Sean Bean came back to reprise the role of the Lord of Winterfell? It's not too far out of the realm of possibility considering the news of a possible Arthur Dayne casting call and several flashbacks.

Warning: 'Game of Thrones' Season 6 Spoilers And 'A Song of Ice and Fire' Discussion Ahead

I know it seems incredibly speculative considering there have been no hints from Bean about a return to his role. And it's not that we'd want to see a headless Ned running around like a zombie terrifying Westeros. This bit of thinking comes from "A Song of Ice and Fire" subReddit. There are just two seasons left of "Game of Thrones," which means we'll be getting plenty of answers in all sorts of ways. The biggest question -- aside from who will sit on the Iron Throne at the end -- is the identity of Jon Snow's parents. The whole R+L = J theory has been fortified by years of speculation, textual clues and hints on the show. Sooner or later, that theory will be confirmed or totally shattered. What if we get our first hint of this during "Game of Thrones" Season 6?

"
Game of Thrones" had its first flashback in Season 5, and it looks like there could be two flashbacks in Season 6.
The first casting news involves a trio of boys. . .  -- and the third boy sounds like Ned Stark.
A second flashback could involve Arthur Dayne. The legendary knight was guarding the Tower of Joy -- where Rhaegar and Lyanna were staying -- during Robert's Rebellion. Rhaegar left and was killed in the Battle of the Trident. With the war basically over, Ned went to the Tower of Joy and found Arthur and two other kingsguard members -- Lord Commander Gerold Hightower and Ser Oswell Whent. Accompanied by Howland Reed and five other men, the two sides fought an epic battle that only Ned and Howland survived.

Ned rushed into the tower and found Lyanna bleeding to death. Before she died, she made her brother promise her something and her last request was something he took to the grave. Could the secret be Jon Snow? That remains a mystery but something "Game of Thrones" could reveal in a flashback. The flashback with the trio of boys could occur earlier in the season to establish these characters while the Tower of Joy flashback could happen toward the end of "Game of Thrones" Season 6.

Casting Arthur Dayne makes sense for a Tower of Joy scene, and Sean Bean could return as a younger Ned -- some of the CGI budget could be spent on making him appear slightly younger. Having a character that sort of, maybe looks like Ned wouldn't be as much fun as a surprise cameo. This scene could be filmed on a soundstage or at a remote enough location that would discourage any leaks.

Quotes about Ned Stark/Sean Bean pulled from longer article here: http://www.ibtimes.com/pulse/game-thrones-season-6-spoilers-ned-stark-return-rl-j-tower-joy-1982379

Amber

Re: Game of Thrones casting call: Ned Stark return in season six?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:14:43 AM »

This is very interesting news, and, why bother explaining Jon Snow's birth and heritage if he is not going to be in S6!!!!!!!!

Amber

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:10:03 PM »

We need to keep a lookout for pics of Kit Harrington before they start shooting - the scripts start arriving in July - he has been contractually obliged to keep his hair Jon-length (yes, that's a real thing!) for as long as he is in "G.o.T." and has been very vocal about the fact that he was going to cut his hair off as soon as that contract finished - on the other hand, who's to say that the revived Jon (if that is what is going to happen) would have the same hair?  Maybe Relor, the Lord of Light demands his latest acolyte is bald or some other variation that will throw people off the track of what is really going to turn up in S6, though he'd have a very cold head at the Wall with no hair, and his hair is one of the best bits of him IMHO.

It's "G.o.T.", so anything could happen, let alone as we are now in entirely uncharted non-book territory so anything could happen multiplied by a hundred! 

Curse George R.R. Martin for being such a freakingly slow writer!

Back to the real world - off to pressure wash the patio and put the bins out!

Offline Karrie A

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
The old Meister told Jon Snow to "let the boy die, so the man can be born." It doesn't even need to be the  same actor. Or he could have warged into his Direwolf. When Robb Stark was killed, his Direwolf went nuts. Nothing during the stabbing of Jon Snow.

Amber

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »

Jon only ever had the direwolf dreams, he couldn't control his 'move' into Ghost in the way Bran could into Summer or Hodor, and his affinity with Ghost hasn't really been addressed in the series.  There were so many odd little events in the books when Ghost and he were super-aware of each other but the only one I can remember being shown was when he'd left Ghost at the bottom of the Wall and Ghost found his way round and met him, and maybe at the Fist when Ghost took him to the dragonglass bundle or did I just read that and imagine I'd seen it? 

I don't know how other people would view a different actor playing Jon but I wouldn't be happy.  He has been too important a character thus far to be faffed about with, and going forward to claim his destiny as the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

The Mountain's replacement is physically excellent, and I didn't like the first Daario anyhoo so I can live with those cast changes but Jon is just too central to be changed now.

Offline Karrie A

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
Bran had a death/near death experience when he was tossed out of the tower. Now Jon has had his too. These things do tend to run in families, and we can assume Jon's mother was a Stark.

Amber

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/tv/news/the-real-reason-jon-snow-will-return-to-game-of-thrones/ar-AAc9daU?ocid=mailsignout

"The real reason Jon Snow will return to Game of Thrones

Will Jon Snow return to Game of Thrones? I have argued that he will, and now Vanity Fair's Joanna Robinson has rounded up various tidbits from recent interviews and news stories that point toward Jon's reappearance, including actor Kit Harington's still-long hair. Yet the best evidence, to me, lies in this comment from showrunner D. B. Weiss:
When asked point-blank if Snow is firmly gone—as in, is actor Kit Harington released from his Thrones contract?—showrunner Dan Weiss told [Entertainment Weekly], "Dead is dead. ... We would hope that after seeing the scene and the way it's shot that the answer to that will be unambiguous in the minds of the people watching it," Weiss explained. "It should be pretty clear what happens in by the time you're done seeing that scene. It's not an, ‘Oh what just happened scene?'"

However, a week and a half after the season five finale, Jon's apparent death clearly is an "Oh what just happened?" scene. So if, as Weiss claims, he wants what happened to be unambiguous, he could pretty easily clear it up with a simple statement. And Weiss's statement that "dead is dead" and Benioff's reference to "the death of Jon Snow" don't qualify, since this is a show where characters can come back from the dead. If either had said, "Sorry, fans, Jon Snow is unequivocally dead and isn't coming back, ever," that would've been pretty conclusive — but Weiss and his co-showrunner, David Benioff, distinctly aren't going that far.

Meanwhile, George R. R. Martin won't even say whether Jon is dead in the first place! "I'm not going to address whether he's dead or not," he said in 2011. When an interviewer asked him again this year, he pointed out that in his books, "death is not necessarily permanent."

Game of Thrones' showrunners appear to be trying to preserve the mystery of where things are going without deliberately lying. Yet Kit Harington has gone further. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, he said, "I've been told I'm dead," before strengthening it to "I'm dead," and then adding, "I'm not coming back next season." Some have pointed out that this leaves the open the possibility for a season seven comeback, but I don't think we'll be waiting that long. Instead, the way Harington's comments depart from the party line suggests to me that he got a bit over his skis in an attempt to keep things mysterious.

The larger point is that if Jon is in fact truly dead and not returning to Game of Thrones, there's no dramatic value in keeping this fact ambiguous. In that case, the "reveal" that he has indeed perished wouldn't be a reveal at all — it would be an anticlimax. The only reason it makes sense for Martin, Benioff, and Weiss to all remain so vague on the subject is if there's a further twist coming down the road. So I suspect it won't be long until we see Jon again."

See, the long hair, and "death is not necessarily permanent." - it certainly isn't on this show, apart from our lovely Ned but ...

Amber

Offline Beanfan

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure Jon Snow is not really dead.
We never got to know who his real mother was, Ned Stark promised to tell Jon, G.G.Martin himself gave hints, several remarks in the books as well pointed to it.

The vanity fair remarks  :thumbsup:

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
I hope that Jon Snow isn't dead.  It was certainly shocking and depressing to watch his "death scene".  He is one of the good guys and I've been rooting for him to do well and have a  happy ending, if there are any characters in GoT that will be allowed to have a happy ending.

Amber

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 06:14:05 AM »

And let's face it , who had better hair on the show - no-one - we need good hair to focus on as light relief when watching something as dark as "G.o.T."!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 07:07:22 AM »
Fans were heartbroken when a fan-favourite was killed off during the thrilling season five finale of Game Of Thrones.

But an interesting new fan theory suggests that Jon Snow may have not actually met his demise.

This hypothesis was outlined by MTV writer Josh Wigler in a recent piece, who was alerted by avid followers of the show that a small detail is proof that Kit Harrington's character is actually alive.
Many have suggested since that the true answer of the Lord Commander's fate lies in his eyes as he appeared to be lifeless on the ground with his eyes wide open.

Upon further inspection by the writer, he believes there was a changing of colour in Jon's eyes as the camera zoomed in closer to his face.
Wigler explained: 'IS THIS REAL LIFE? Did Jon Snow’s eyes change from Kit’s normal dark brown to a lighter hue — an icy green, as I’m seeing it? Am I just seeing things, or is there something here?'

Many have suggested the the colour of his eyes actually turned to Targaryen purple much like Emilia Clarke's character Daenerys Targaryen.

Even if the eyes aren't purple, specifically, there is no doubt there was a brighter hue to his brown eyes as the camera inched closer to his face.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3141947/Interesting-theory-suggests-offed-Game-Thrones-character-not-actually-met-demise.html

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 06:14:53 PM »
All the discussions by people who would have inside info all point to him being alive, but just as Bran was missing this whole season, Jon will be missing next season. Same with The Hound and Gendry and a few other characters being missing this last season. The next book, The Winds of Winter, that Martin has hinted may be out in time for Christmas, is expected to be just as long, if not longer than, A Dance With Dragons and will likely be broken into two volumes. There are a few new characters to be introduced, also, so you can expect that Jon's fate will be left in limbo, along with a few others. Also, Kit Harrington was allowed to trim his hair for a feature film project but as of last sighting it was back to it's full glory.

Amber

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 06:31:30 AM »

Like I said eons ago; watch the hair - and still in at its most luxuriant last weekend, with scripts starting to arrive in the nxt couple of weeks.  Dead my sweet patootie!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »

Like I said eons ago; watch the hair - and still in at its most luxuriant last weekend, with scripts starting to arrive in the nxt couple of weeks.  Dead my sweet patootie!

Kit Harington at Wimbledon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3147296/Kit-Harington-watches-Wimbledon-action-Centre-Court.html

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:10:36 PM by patch »

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 11:44:26 PM »
Buy Jove Patch, I think you've got it

Amber

Amber

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »

The worst, and I do mean *the* very worst kept non-secret EVAH!!!!!

I rest my case again - the case raising and lowering is really keeping me fit!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/game-thrones-jon-snow-lives-093848273.html#C6nWmGP

Man-bun - WTF?!?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:44:41 PM by Amber »

Offline Karrie A

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 06:14:41 PM »
Just because Kit Harrington is working on Game of Thrones does not mean Jon Snow is alive.

Amber

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 05:44:02 AM »

No, of course it doesn't - it's just a coincidence!

Maybe he has kept his hair long to appear as Brienne of Tarth's love interest - her at 6'3" with short hair and armour, him at 5'8", with long hair and a dress, sounds good to me!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:56:39 AM by Amber »