News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The “GOT” Moment That Made GRRM Cry And 7 Other Things He Told Us  (Read 900 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
The “Game Of Thrones” Moment That Made GRRM Cry And 7 Other Things He Told Us

George R.R. Martin, author of the Song of Ice and Fire book series, was the guest of honor at the Richmond County Bank Ballpark’s Game of Thrones–themed baseball game.
Before the first pitch went out at the game, at which the two teams were rebranded as the Starks vs. the Lannisters, he talked to BuzzFeed about Game of Thrones, fan theories, and his toy knight collection. Here’s what he had to say:

Martin also said that some of the show’s moments that were closest to his vision were Arya’s character scenes.
“The dialogue is straight from the books and the actors are marvelous. Some of the interactions first season between Maisie Williams as Arya and Sean Bean as her father were beautiful

Just like you, he was brought to tears by the execution of Ned Stark in Season 1.
“Of course I knew that was coming, but they did that so beautifully. I found myself with tears in my eyes just watching it at home as Sean Bean was dragged to the pike and then Joffrey makes the about-face and says, “Bring me his head!” and people’s reaction to that. It was beautiful.”

”[Game of Thrones showrunners] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] added a beautiful touch to that, too, which wasn’t in the books, which was Ned recognizing Yoren in the crowd and recognizing Arya and whispering ‘Baelor.’ That little touch is not in the books, but I wish it had been in the books because it was a great addition.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexisnedd/the-game-of-thrones-moment-that-made-grrm-cry-and-7-other-th#.huMMLVlJP

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:51:47 PM by patch »

Amber

Re: The “GOT” Moment That Made GRRM Cry And 7 Other Things He Told Us
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:04:28 PM »

That sort of information must be lovely for an actor to hear.  Whatever the idea of the writer, the finished result has gone through so many visions of so many people to get to the end result, that there may be very little left so to have the writer's work so fully translated to the screen in those scenes speaks volumes as to the quality of the writing, and the acting - our chap must be 'well chuffed' with that.

I loved the statue part too, that last look; Ned's last moment of cogent thought was the knowledge of the safety of Arya, and the peace that brought him as the sounds of all that hate faded.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:51:44 PM by Amber »