News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: F**king eBay!  (Read 1777 times)

Amber

F**king eBay!
« on: August 28, 2015, 07:49:17 AM »
Maybe I've been lucky with my buyers - 99% have been fab, proper, nice feedback, paid on time, just what you would hope they would be but it's that 1% that nearly kill you with the stress of their behaviour.

I am very careful with my listing, very detailed, lots of photos so I don't have Significantly Not As Described issues.  I had two defects, one I gave myself for cancelling a sale and refunding incorrectly when I found a moth-hole before I was going to send something out, and obviously couldn't sell it like that - last September and they drop off after a year so it will go soon - and the second one was something that got lost in the post last Christmas - I always have proof of postage receipts which means that every single item has to be taken to the Post Office but that's my protection so ... - so that was okay with me.

Now suddenly I have four defects, two for Significantly Not As Described in a couple of days because of lying, shitty buyers and eBay's protection of them - I am in bits.  One was a lovely little Dior make-up bag - the ones you get with a purchase occasionally - which was returned according to the buyer who writes vicious feedback and has caused defects for eight people, nine with me, which is not normal! because of stains only it was brand new, still in its original box and had never been used, never been out of the box apart from to take the photos, and the photos of the areas she said were stained show, guess what for a new item, yup, no stains.  I accepted the return (so I've paid out the postage to get it to her and then I had to pay to get it back) because sellers report that people damage items to ensure they can get a full refund so I was dreading the condition it was going to come back in, what she would have done to it, but it came back in the same perfect condition as it left in - all she wanted, it would seem, was not to pay the return postage and tracking fee - she even gave me feedback - who does that - and then marked me down for dispatch time of the item - the same afternoon as the she paid, exactly how much quicker could it have been sent out to her?  So I got a defect for her lies.

The second one was a bike which the woman came around 40 miles to collect.  She wanted to take the wheel off to get it in her car and expected me to help - I haven't the foggiest idea how to do stuff like that; I can mend a puncture but that's about it - the best I could do was hold it whilst she took the wheel off.  The bike was in fine, I had cleaned it, oiled it, checked the brakes, the measurements were accurate, she examined it and was fine with all aspects of it, I offered her tea and the use of the loo before she left, I even gave her a bag to put all her tools and the wheel nuts and bolts in - I'm not sure what else I could have done but three stars (and an automatic defect) for the bike and 4/5 for communication.  She was happy enough with the bike to actually sign the receipt to say it was as described and in good working order so what the hell?

EBay is only interested in the buyer so it doesn't matter what you can prove with photos or documents, all that matters is whatever lies the buyer wants to tell.  If there was somewhere else, I wouldn't give eBay another thought, ever.  I am gutted though I think some of that is that I am still too tender to deal with anything much more than just coping.

Oh well.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: F**king eBay!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:10:39 AM »
I may be very naive but if it gives you this much stress,why put yourself through it?   

Amber

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »

Some people comfort eat, some shop, my mother and did both.  Whilst we were dealing with my Dad's illness, and he always wanted to be out somewhere, we went out.  We ate out, we shopped - all that he wanted was to be going somewhere, looking at things, talking to people, having a nice meal and a good cup of tea every ten minutes, and my mum and I shopped.  We now have seven years of accumulated 'stuff' to get rid of, and as I am not going to have any children, there is no-one to pass anything on to so all the things I might have kept for that are going, and I won't be around long after Mummy so I just want to get rid of everything now so that I don't have much to do then, and I'd rather have the money than someone clearing our house and getting what they can, and worse, what they don't want or what doesn't have any value, being put in a skip in the street for all the world to see as was done with a man in a neighbouring road - the house clearers didn't even have the decency to put his underwear out of sight - that chilled me to the bone with foresight.  I need to downsize and there is no other way, sadly. 

I would love to find an ethical site with honest buyers but that would be in a land where the ground was covered with hens teeth and everyone had rode a unicorn so I am stuck with this method until I have got rid of everything.  What doesn't sell in a couple of years when I have reduced and reduced the prices goes outside when there is some good weather here in the summer and people just take what they want but until all has gone ...

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 03:18:26 PM »
Sorry you're having such a hard time, Amber. Seems unfair that somebody can make claims even when you have proof that they are telling lies. Is there not any recourse with the administrators?

Offline Karrie A

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 04:29:11 PM »
Have you looked into setting up an Etsy shop? It is not just crafts anymore. I was looking at some really interesting vintage kitchen stuff there just the other night!

Amber

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 05:30:20 PM »

Sorry you're having such a hard time, Amber. Seems unfair that somebody can make claims even when you have proof that they are telling lies. Is there not any recourse with the administrators?

No there is no recourse - it's all about the buyer and what they *say* they have experienced.  There will always be more sellers coming on to the site so the draconian punishment is to weed out what buyers have told them are bad sellers and thus endlessly replace them.  You just have to work through it and try and keep going.

Amber

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 05:32:35 PM »

Have you looked into setting up an Etsy shop? It is not just crafts anymore. I was looking at some really interesting vintage kitchen stuff there just the other night!

I'll look into it - thank you - I thought it was just crafts so I hadn't had much of a look, but I will.  And I'm doing up some chairs over the winter - painting them, making cushions, so that would prob. be a good place to see if I can sell them, and some other arty painted bits and bobs I have planned.

Amber

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 08:44:13 PM »

I've decided that eBay's draconian treatment of sellers and the c**p we have to put up with from dishonest buyers is just too much, so, as, surprisingly, I never really sell much around Christmas, I'm just going to let the listings that I now have on there come to an end and not renew them.  I have two defects that will drop off - one in a couple of days, and one in November - and there are new seller standards starting in February which, if they were in place now, would mean I had no defects whatsoever and thus much less stress that I actually can't stand very well.

The break will do me enormous good I think; I have oh so many other things that need to be done, and then I can go back to my inventory with renewed vigour, and in a more safe selling environment where I am not responsible for the behaviour of light-fingered Royal Mail staff, lying buyers, oh and prob. the assassination of Kennedy - why not?  The fact that I was a small child still in a pram in York at the time shouldn't get in the way of eBay blaming me, nothing else does!

Bugger eBay - if they are not going to help me with the issues sellers face now, then why would I cause myself stress to help them make money now?  I will only now help when it suits me, and the rules are fair though the months without the revenue will be hard, but the months with the revenue would be harder so ...