News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Last Kingdom author Bernard Cornwell says Game of Thrones relies on " naked wome  (Read 1675 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Last Kingdom author Bernard Cornwell says Game of Thrones relies on "a lot of naked women" to stop it being "very, very dull"

Bernard Cornwell’s series of Saxon novels is about to hit TV screens as The Last Kingdom. While the BBC2 drama is free of magic and dragons, its medieval world of warlords, castles and brutal battles is already being compared to Game of Thrones, a series whose popularity has arguably paved the way for The Last Kingdom.

Nevertheless, Cornwell is not a fan of the HBO fantasy-drama, calling it “very, very dull” and slamming the perceived use of “naked women” to make it more interesting – something he says his own show won't resort to.

“So many characters. So many strands,” says the writer in the new issue of Radio Times. “You have to have large sections where the plot is explained; just have to sit there and be told what’s going on. This is very, very dull. So they put a lot of naked women behind it all. They’re called ‘sexplanations’ in the trade. My programmes won’t need sexplanations.”

It's an opinion that will resonate with some, but far from all. Game of Thrones has certainly been accused of the gratuitous use of sexual scenes – in particular those that include violence against women – but it is also hugely popular, critically acclaimed and the recent winner of an incredible 12 Emmy awards.

Cornwell can claim a similar degree of success himself, having sold a staggering 20 million copies of his historical novels. They include the Sharpe stories, which were turned into an ITV series starring Sean Bean – who coincidentally went on to play ill-fated Game of Thrones patriarch Ned Stark.

The Last Kingdom draws loosely on Cornwell's own ancestry, which he can trace back to the 6th century kings of northern England. The series follows a Saxon boy – the son of Matthew Macfadyen's Northumbrian king Uhtred – who is captured by Vikings led by Rutger Hauer's Ravn and sets his sights on reclaiming his father's lands.

The series begins on BBC2 on Thursday 22nd October.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-12/last-kingdom-author-bernard-cornwell-says-game-of-thrones-relies-on-a-lot-of-naked-women-to-stop-it-being-very-very-dull
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:11:44 AM by patch »

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
Well, I wouldn't say it was very, very dull, but after they executed Ned Stark, it was like the heart went out of it for me and I didn't watch any more.

Offline lab183

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
  • Life is a song, love is the music
Exactly, once they killed off the heart of the show, it was done for me too. When Sean was in it, i found it to be very shock inducing - they were really going over the top on shock value. But, when he was gone, it gone even worse and I couldn't stomach it anymore. I don't find that sort of thing entertaining.

Offline crossing-sweeper

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
I'm afraid I found GOT pretty dull all the way through - and can't quite understand the adulation. As usual Sean rises to the challenge of putting meat on the bones of a not terribly interesting role (as did Michelle Fairley) - but some of the other actors (Emilia Clarke anyone?) were just awful.

Offline Beanfan

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
Sorrry, but I do not agree with Bernard Cornwell at all.
GoT is a thrilling and still  very special TV series.  The naked women are the ones who are dull most of the time.  ^^
I was completely shocked when Ned Stark was beheaded .
But I'm team Jon Snow now. And no - he is not dead. ( My opinion ;) )
Jon Snow and Dany will come together in the end. (Not only my opinion )

I'm looking forward to  'The Last Kingdom' of course.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
I'm looking forward to  'The Last Kingdom' of course.

The Last Kingdom: Trailer - BBC Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldlv1FGNTCY