News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pete Postlethwaite in "Brassed Off"  (Read 964 times)

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
Pete Postlethwaite in "Brassed Off"
« on: July 14, 2016, 05:12:17 AM »
I have no idea where to put this, but I guess this is as good a place as any.

After watching "Kes" I was motivated to look up "best northern films" sorts of lists and "Brassed Off" is on them all.
Pete Postlethwaite (who "Sharpe" fans will know as the horrible Obadiah Hakeswill) was so fantastic in this. I really recommend this film. Not to spoil it, but there is a scene where the band plays a certain song and tears were literally streaming down my face, and films rarely make me get more than slightly teary-eyed.  This is an incredible movie. Oh, and one of Sean's ex-wives is in it, and she's darn good, too.

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
Re: Pete Postlethwaite in "Brassed Off"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
I'm struggling to think of anything that he's been in where he's not been good to be honest.

Brassed Off is a brilliant film which actually (in a way)  is a bit of a documentary of how things were - many brass bands were closed down when the mines/factories/whatever business they were attached to were closed.

I'd forgotten that Melanie was in it.  Pete Postlethwaite may have been as northern as they come but he studied drama at Bristol Old Vic and he was one of a host of actors remembered (and claimed as honorary Bristolians) at recent events to celebrate a big birthday and recent reopening after refurbishment of the theatre.

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
Re: Pete Postlethwaite in "Brassed Off"
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »
He really was a wonderful actor.

Brassed Off is a brilliant film which actually (in a way)  is a bit of a documentary of how things were - many brass bands were closed down when the mines/factories/whatever business they were attached to were closed.
I understand a lot more why Sean loathed Maggie Thatcher.