News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ‘Broken’  (Read 55018 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
‘Broken’
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »
EXCLUSIVE: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Alum Sean Bean To Star In Jimmy McGovern’s BBC One Drama ‘Broken’

EXCLUSIVE: Game Of Thrones and Legends star Sean Bean has been tapped to play the lead role in Broken, BBC One’s six episode drama series from Jimmy McGovern, TVWise can reveal. In addition to starring, Bean has also signed on to executive produce the project.

Broken is described as a “State of the Nation Piece” that follows Father Michael Kerrigan, a Catholic priest presiding over a Northern urban parish. Modern and maverick, yet reassuringly flawed, Father Michael must be confidante, counsellor and confessor to a conflicted congregation who, like himself, struggles to reconcile its beliefs with the hypocrisies demanded by contemporary Britain.

Sean Bean will take on the lead role of Father Michael Kerrigan. Bean, repped by Independent Talent and CAA, will be doing back-to-back productions, going straight from Broken into the second season of ITV Encore’s The Frankenstein Chronicles, in which he plays the lead role of Inspector John Marlott. Casting for the remaining regular roles on Broken is still underway.

This project reunites Bean and McGovern after the two previously worked together on the BBC One series Accused. “It’s fantastic, because I’ve been trying to work with Sean again ever since he played Tracie Tremarco in Accused, which was astonishing stuff, so I’m over the moon he’s jumped on board with Broken”, said series creator Jimmy McGovern

“I was very excited at the prospect of working with Jimmy McGovern again”, added Sean Bean. “His scripts are raw and real and he creates fantastic and interesting characters that resonate with society today. I’m also thrilled to have Ashley Pearce on board as director.”

McGovern is penning the scripts for Broken, which was commissioned by then BBC One Controller Charlotte Moore and Controller of Drama Commissioning Poly Hill last December. LA Productions is producing, with Colin McKeown and Donna Molloy serving as the series producers. Lucy Richer, the BBC’s Acting Controller of Drama Commissioning, will executive produce alongside Sean Bean. Ashley Pearce and Noreen Kershaw are attached to direct.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/08/exclusive-game-thrones-star-sean-bean-set-lead-jimmy-mcgoverns-bbc-one-drama-broken/

Sean Bean cast in Jimmy McGovern’s new primetime drama series Broken for BBC One

Sean Bean has been cast as the lead in Broken (working title), Jimmy McGovern’s new six-part primetime drama series produced by LA Productions for BBC One.

Sean will star as Father Michael Kerrigan, a Catholic priest presiding over a Northern urban parish. Modern and maverick, yet reassuringly flawed, Father Michael must be confidante, counsellor and confessor to a conflicted congregation who, like himself, struggles to reconcile its beliefs with the hypocrisies demanded by contemporary Britain.

Sean Bean says: “I was very excited at the prospect of working with Jimmy McGovern again. His scripts are raw and real and he creates fantastic and interesting characters that resonate with society today. I’m also thrilled to have Ashley Pearce on board as director.”

Jimmy McGovern says: “It's fantastic, because I've been trying to work with Sean again ever since he played Tracie Tremarco in Accused, which was astonishing stuff, so I'm over the moon he's jumped on board with Broken.”

Colin McKeown at LA Productions says: “It's fantastic to do a state-of-the-nation piece in Liverpool.”

Lucy Richer, Acting Controller of BBC Drama and Executive Producer, adds: “Jimmy McGovern is a masterful storyteller whose characters truly strike a chord, and I am thrilled that the brilliant Sean Bean is taking on the lead role in his fantastic new series for BBC One."

A powerful piece perfectly placed at the home of original British drama, Broken will be produced by Colin McKeown and Donna Molloy for LA Productions, directed by Ashley Pearce and Noreen Kershaw and executive produced by Sean Bean. Lucy Richer will executive produce for the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/broken-casting

Sean Bean reunites with Accused writer Jimmy McGovern in new BBC1 drama series Broken

Sean Bean is set to star in new BBC1 drama series Broken, written by Banished and Accused creator Jimmy McGovern.

The Game of Thrones actor will lead the six-part contemporary series set in Liverpool, playing Catholic priest Michael Kerrigan.

The drama, first announced in December last year, follows the story of Kerrigan and his congregation as they try to reconcile their beliefs with life in modern Britain.

“I was very excited at the prospect of working with Jimmy McGovern again," said Bean. They last worked together on 2012 BBC anthology series Accused, with Bean playing a transvestite English teacher. Bean won an Internal Emmy for the performance.

McGovern said of Bean's casting, “It's fantastic, because I've been trying to work with Sean again ever since he played Tracie Tremarco in Accused, which was astonishing stuff, so I'm over the moon he's jumped on board with Broken.”
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-08-04/sean-bean-reunites-with-accused-writer-jimmy-mcgovern-in-new-bbc1-drama-series-broken

Sean Bean's reuniting with Jimmy McGovern for a big new BBC drama
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a803680/sean-bean-to-star-in-jimmy-mcgoverns-big-new-bbc-drama/

Sean Bean to play priest in new Jimmy McGovern TV drama
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36976173

The BBC has commissioned a new Liverpool -based series from Merseyside writer Jimmy McGovern. 
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/bbc-commissions-new-drama-series-10667193

Wasn't Sean spotted in Liverpool last week?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:15:52 PM by patch »

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
Re: ‘Broken’
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:48:19 AM »
Yes, he was, and I wondered why anybody would go to Liverpool... just kidding.

Well, this sounds like good, serious drama, but... Sean as a priest?    :face  Okay... yeah he's a great actor so maybe, haha.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:15:26 AM by Rebecca »

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 05:37:45 PM »
Thank you Patch !!!! This is FANTASTIC NEWS FOR OUR LAD SEAN !!!!

Offline crossing-sweeper

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:32:17 PM »
Good news! This sounds like a project with some real meat on it ...

Offline lab183

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
  • Life is a song, love is the music
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »
Yes, he was, and I wondered why anybody would go to Liverpool... just kidding, dear scousers.

Well, this sounds like good, serious drama, but... Sean as a priest?    :face  Okay... yeah he's a great actor so maybe, haha.

I was raised Catholic so I think I can get away with saying this...all I can think of right now is "The Thornbirds" and am picturing Sean in his priestly frock rolling around on an Australian beach with (insert actress of your choice) or yourself of course ;-).   :angel2:

I can't wait for this already even if there is no romance...but dang...now I am skimming pages in said book replacing the image of Richard Chamberlain with Sean... :pant:

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 01:07:08 AM »
I was raised Catholic so I think I can get away with saying this...all I can think of right now is "The Thornbirds" and am picturing Sean in his priestly frock rolling around on an Australian beach with (insert actress of your choice) or yourself of course ;-).   :angel2:

Well, myself, thank you! lol

Good thing he's a terrific actor because just the idea of Sean playing a celibate priest makes me laugh.   :giggles:  He would definitely be known as Father What-a-Waste.

I can't wait for this already even if there is no romance...but dang...now I am skimming pages in said book replacing the image of Richard Chamberlain with Sean... :pant:

Haha! You know, I've never seen any of this series, but it's on YouTube. Think I'll check it out.

Offline lab183

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:41:41 AM »
It has a long build up, but when Rachel Ward finally makes her appearance...the real romance begins. Bryan Brown is much hotter than Richard Chamberlain inmo but ...their time at the beach together --- oh la la was a good payoff. And of course the book was much better than the tv series.

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 09:49:03 AM »
Yeah, Richard Chamberlain never did anything for me, ... but Chrisopher Plummer, now he was HOT.

Offline lab183

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »
Yes and Yes! Christopher Plummer  :fanning:

He aged very well too. 

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 02:19:33 AM »
Broken: Sean Bean Joins Season One of BBC One Drama

Lucy Richer, Acting Controller of BBC Drama and Executive Producer, adds: “Jimmy McGovern is a masterful storyteller whose characters truly strike a chord, and I am thrilled that the brilliant Sean Bean is taking on the lead role in his fantastic new series for BBC One.”

Sharing this mainly for the photo, as I don't remember seeing it before. Looks like early 2015?  I don't think the article contains anything much different from the OP in this thread.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 02:37:17 AM »
Sharing this mainly for the photo, as I don't remember seeing it before. Looks like early 2015?  I don't think the article contains anything much different from the OP in this thread.

Thanks, hadn't seen this one before either.Photo is from the JA Premiere, just added it to the thread.

http://seanbeanonline.net/forums/index.php?topic=4730.msg104251#msg104251

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:41:03 AM by patch »

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 02:47:03 AM »
Ah, yes, I was thinking maybe from the TIFF, but you are right! :)

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »
It has a long build up, but when Rachel Ward finally makes her appearance...the real romance begins. Bryan Brown is much hotter than Richard Chamberlain inmo but ...their time at the beach together --- oh la la was a good payoff. And of course the book was much better than the tv series.
Well, this is big thread drift but... I watched some scenes from that. Eh. Then I watched "Against All Odds" with Rachel Ward and Jeff Bridges.
Jeff Bridges reminds me of Sean in many ways, but he just doesn't have that dangerous, hot edge that Sean has. I do wish that Sean would do his hair sort of like Jeff, don't know why he is doing the side part. He always did a middle part which suited him so much better.

Offline lab183

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 03:03:07 PM »
Well, this is big thread drift but... I watched some scenes from that. Eh. Then I watched "Against All Odds" with Rachel Ward and Jeff Bridges.
Jeff Bridges reminds me of Sean in many ways, but he just doesn't have that dangerous, hot edge that Sean has. I do wish that Sean would do his hair sort of like Jeff, don't know why he is doing the side part. He always did a middle part which suited him so much better.

One thing just leads to another...I like drifting. I like Jeff Bridges but I have never found him hot in any way. He's very "brotherly" to me. Someone who would go into the "friends only" category immediately. And we are once again back on the dreaded "hair topic"....yep drifting again...LOL! 

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 08:04:19 AM »
Liverpool Welcomes Filming Boom

In addition to the above, BBC One has commissioned local producers Colin McKeown and Donna Molloy of LA Productions to shoot Jimmy McGovern's new six-part primetime drama series Broken (working title), with filming set to take place on location in mid-September. Sean Bean is Executive Producer and takes the lead role as Father Michael Kerrigan, a Catholic priest presiding over a northern urban parish. 
http://www.4rfv.co.uk/industrynews/217951/liverpool_welcomes_filming_boom

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »
Sean Bean BBC One drama films in Liverpool

Jimmy McGovern’s latest drama, Broken, is heading for a Liverpool shoot next month.

The 6 x 60 for BBC One comes from producers Colin McKeown and Donna Molloy of LA Productions.

Broken stars Sean Bean – who also executive produces with the BBC’s Lucy Richer – as Father Michael Kerrigan, an urban Catholic priest struggling with his faith in modern-day Britain.

Production Intelligence subscribers can log in for details on shoot dates and key production personnel including the location manager, production designer, casting director and production manager. 

McKeown, a long-time collaborator of fellow Liverpudlian McGovern, said of the project: “It’s fantastic to do a state-of-the-nation piece in Liverpool.”

http://www.theknowledgeonline.com/the-knowledge-bulletin/post/2016/08/17/sean-bean-bbc-one-drama-films-in-liverpool?utm_content=buffer4643f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 12:02:50 AM »
Hopkins inspires priest in new TV drama

A new BBC One drama series set in the North West has strong Jesuit connections. The BBC has confirmed that the leading role in Broken (working title) will be played by Sean Bean. Filming of the primetime series is due to start next month, with the six episodes broadcast after Christmas.

The new drama is written by Jimmy McGovern who was brought up five minutes’ walk away from Saint Francis Xavier’s Church (SFX) and went to SFX infants and primary school. He then went on to be taught by the Jesuits at St Francis Xavier’s College in Liverpool.

The central character in Broken will be a Catholic priest presiding over a Northern urban parish named Father Michael Kerrigan (Sean Bean). The BBC has described the character as “modern and maverick, yet reassuringly flawed”, adding that he “must be confidante, counsellor and confessor to a conflicted congregation who, like himself, struggles to reconcile its beliefs with the hypocrisies demanded by contemporary Britain”. It is understood that in the first episode, Fr Michael states that he was inspired in his vocation by The Windhover, a sonnet by the Jesuit poet and priest, Gerard Manley Hopkins.

http://www.jesuit.org.uk/hopkins-inspires-priest-new-tv-drama

Offline lab183

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »
OOoh can't wait for this! What a great way to get rid of the post Christmas doldrums!

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »
This should be GREAT !!! I've always had FANTASIES about SEAN being a PRIEST !!! LUST,LUST, LUST !!!

Offline Beanfan

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 03:55:08 AM »
Great news!  :thumbsup: