News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ‘Broken’  (Read 55015 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: ‘Broken’
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2018, 02:01:47 AM »
quote] Nominated for Leading Actor
Jack Rowan - Born to Kill
Joe Cole - Hang The DJ (Black Mirror)
Sean Bean - Broken
Tim Pigott-Smith - King Charles III
#BAFTATV [/quote]

https://twitter.com/BAFTA/status/981425218269958144

Nominated for Supporting Actress
Anna Friel - Broken
Julie Hesmondhalgh - Broadchurch
Liv Hill - Three Girls
Vanessa Kirby - The Crown
#BAFTATV
https://twitter.com/BAFTA/status/981430157197103105

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:05:23 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2018, 12:46:31 AM »
Three cheers for a wave of ‘working-class’ TV dramas that wear their class lightly
The Baftas are right to celebrate a slew of exceptional series revealing that no life is ordinary

Look down the nominations, though, and you’ll see all the other, rather less posh shows that have risen to the top. There’s Broken, in which Sean Bean stars as a Roman Catholic priest struggling to tend his flock in a deprived part of a nameless northern city

There’s nothing particularly earnest about these shows. You don’t feel, necessarily, that boxes have been ticked. They wear questions of class lightly – Jimmy McGovern’s Broken may be an exception 
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/08/three-cheers-for-a-brilliant-new-wave-of-working-class-tv-drama

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #302 on: May 02, 2018, 03:30:11 PM »
Broken nominated for Rockie Award 2018 for Television Miniseries.

The Rockie Awards is BANFF’s flagship program celebrating excellence in television and digital content from around the world. Hundreds of television and digital programs compete for a coveted Rockie Award, presented at a ceremony each year at BANFF. With participation from more than 40 countries annually, including an international industry jury of over 100 professionals working in entertainment and media, the Rockie Awards is one of the world’s largest program competitions of its kind.

Broken
LA Productions / BBC One
UK
http://rockieawards.brunico.com/

Wish us luck for our latest nomination for the TV Miniseries Awards at the #BanffRockies2018 as a part of the Banff Media Festival on the 11th June
There is going to be some stiff competition so keep your fingers crossed everyone! #Banff2018 @BanffMedia
http://rockieawards.brunico.com 
https://twitter.com/Dan_Levey/status/991734102486286336

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #303 on: May 05, 2018, 02:07:34 PM »
[Voting is open for the annual @televisualmedia Bulldog Awards!
We've been nominated for 'Drama One Off or Serial' & 'Editing' for our BBC1 drama series #Broken. Follow the link to register your vote now, and be in with a chance to win a prize!
http://bit.ly/2HlLv4Z/quote]
https://twitter.com/LAProductionsUK/status/992781732641427456

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
Jimmy McGovern’s Broken wins twice at Sandford St Martin awards

Hard-hitting BBC One drama Broken has scooped up two gongs at an awards ceremony celebrating religious programming.

Writer Jimmy McGovern’s show, which depicts the challenges of a Catholic priest in a Liverpool parish, came out on top at the 40th anniversary Sandford St Martin Awards.

Starring former Game Of Thrones actor Sean Bean as Father Michael Kerrigan, and Anna Friel as Christina Fitzsimmons, the drama was selected by a panel of media professionals to win the TV award.

The Bafta award-winning series also picked up the Radio Times readers’ award, voted for by thousands of participants.

“Our winner is a great example of how religion on the box can reach you in places you may never have expected it to come from,” said Aaqil Ahmed, chair of the TV judging panel.

“All of the judges were blown away by the writing, acting, and the sheer passion all around. This drama showed the place that religion has in the lives of many in Britain today, whether you are a believer or not.”

http://www.impartialreporter.com/news/entertainment/16277222.Jimmy_McGovern___s_Broken_wins_twice_at_Sandford_St_Martin_awards/

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #305 on: June 08, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
We are thrilled that Broken has won both the 2018 @radiotimes readers' award and the @sandfordawards TV award!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjxaHtpnqQQ/?tagged=seanbean

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #306 on: June 09, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »
Broken wins the 2018 Sandford St Martin Awards
The BBC One series Broken wins the 2018 Sandford St Martin Awards, as announced at yesterday’s awards ceremony at Lambeth Palace.

Broken was scripted by Jimmy McGovern, a well-known Liverpool writer and alumnus of St Francis Xavier College. Much of the series was filmed in the Jesuit church of St Francis Xavier in Liverpool and saw the strict collaboration of Fr Denis Blackledge SJ as religious advisor for Sean Bean in his role of Fr Michael Kerrigan, a parish priest in a northern urban setting serving individuals in their trauma and brokenness while coping with his own. The actor - best known for his roles in Sharpe, Lord of the Rings and, most recently, Game of Thrones - has recently also received a Bafta TV Award for Best Actor.

“I felt as honoured as he was, and he was profoundly grateful to me in an email when he was first nominated for the BAFTA” Fr Denis comments. “As Sean said: ‘I'm honoured by having you by my side as I created Fr Michael during that magical time in your church in Liverpool. Can't thank you enough for all the knowledge and honesty you shared with me. I'm delighted to have received a BAFTA nomination, and hope you feel proud too for having played a major role in his creation’”

“Now that Broken has won the prestigious Sanford St Martin Trust award, it puts the cream on the cake.” Fr Denis Blackledge SJ comments. “Sean has done us Catholic priests a great favour and grace, and I feel so privileged to have had a part in his role.”
https://www.jesuit.org.uk/node/6434

Offline Janice1066

• First Class Exploring Officer
  • Sharpeshooter
    • Hopkinsfan.net
« Reply #307 on: June 13, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
I came across a short video on Youtube today where Fr Denis talks about Broken and working with Sean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCekJagkoNk

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2018, 09:54:38 AM »
‘Sean Bean’s Father Keerigan is the kind of man I aspire to be’: Broken writer Jimmy McGovern says TV needs faith
I have spent much of my career as a television dramatist trying to give a voice to those whose stories aren’t often heard: the poor, the dispossessed, the wrongly accused, the betrayed. But getting a story made about a parish priest in Liverpool proved to be just about my hardest mission yet. In fact, it was 30 years in the making and very nearly didn’t happen.

When I set out to write Broken – which I’m thrilled to say Radio Times readers have just blessed with an award at the Sanford Saint Martin Awards – I wanted to write about a fictional priest, Father Michael Kerrigan, played on screen so wonderfully by Sean Bean, serving his parish in a down-at-heel part of north Liverpool. I may no longer be a practising Catholic but I have a lifetime fascination with the faith. Of course, the Catholic church has come in for strong criticism in recent years – and rightly so – but for the last 50 years of my life on Merseyside I have seen nothing but excellent priests. I wanted to put one of those good priests right up there on the screen.

The genesis of Broken goes back to 1989. I had given up writing Brookside and I went down to the BBC in London to tell the head of drama that I had a ten-part drama featuring a Catholic priest, with each episode based on one of the Ten Commandments. He turned me down. So I went away and came back with a seven-part drama featuring a Catholic priest, with each episode based on one of the seven deadly sins. And again he said no.

Finally, I went back with a four-part drama with each episode based on one of the four Gospels. Again, they said no. In the end I got it down to a single film – Priest. And I only got that made because I had a hit with Cracker (and in fact I wrote the first episode of Cracker on the back of a rejected script for Priest). Nobody at that time wanted to know.

The problem was that then, like now, religion sounds boring to some and contentious to others. But what it is to me is a wonderful source of stories about what it is to be human and a huge part of many people’s lives.

Father Kerrigan, like all priests, comes into contact with people at massive moments in their life: a birth, a death or a marriage. He regularly hears people confess: somebody who goes along to a priest to confess has something weighing heavily on their soul. Such a priest is living out a faith not defined by dogma but by
 serving others. He is the kind of man I would aspire to be, but where he differs from me is he never loses sight of his faith – or his vocation.

As an inner-city priest you will get nowhere if all you talk about is “bells and smells”. You’ve got to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the imprisoned, help cure the sick. When I go into churches and see a food bank I think isn’t it shocking that there’s a need for this. And then I think, thank God the churches are doing this. They can’t ignore the poverty that’s in front of their eyes – they’d soon get short shrift if they did. Somebody has to. You don’t come across many atheist food banks.

We are all called upon to be priests at times, whether we like it or not. A good priest like Father Kerrigan listens to people’s stories, like a good writer tells others’
stories. But turning those stories into TV drama requires faith. Next year is the BBC’s year of faith when the Corporation has committed to covering religion.
 Drama needs to be part of that commitment, because religion is where so many of the best stories are.
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-06-18/sean-bean-broken-tv-needs-more-faith/

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2018, 06:42:04 AM »
Sean Bean plays Father Kerrigan, broken by his own abuse. Follow his pursuit to fix several broken lives.

BBC First premieres 16th July at 10 pm. #GreatBritainGreatStories

https://twitter.com/ZeeCafe/status/1017360387623145477

https://zeecafe.zee5.com/

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #310 on: August 13, 2018, 09:20:22 AM »
BBC First to Launch in Poland
BBC Studios is bringing the BBC First drama channel to Poland, where it will launch on October 26.
 The channel, which will be available with full English and Polish subtitles, will replace BBC HD and will be accessible through DTH, cable and IPTV providers alongside BBC Brit, BBC Earth, BBC Lifestyle, CBeebies and BBC World News. The addition of BBC First will see the full BBC channel portfolio offered to viewers in Poland for the first time

The channel’s launch slate includes the territory premiere of Broken, starring Sean Bean (Game of Thrones) as a Catholic priest haunted by his past in a tale of redemption, compassion and forgiveness.
http://worldscreen.com/tvdrama/bbc-first-to-launch-in-poland/

I hope they don't edit the series as much as they did in the Dutch BBC First version.Quite a few scenes were cut there.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #311 on: August 14, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »
Liverpool: Screening and Q&A with Jimmy McGovern
St Francis Xavier's Jesuit parish in Liverpool is hosting one of the Archdiocese of Liverpool parallel programme events to the National Eucharistic Pilgrimage and Congress, called Adoremus - in Liverpool, 6-9 September 2018.

Exposition, Mass and refreshements are to be followed by the screening of an episode of the award winning BBC1 drama Broken, which was filmed at SFX, on 7 and 8 September at 11am (screening 1.30pm) and followed by a Q & A session with writer Jimmy McGovern and parish priest Fr Denis Blackledge SJ.

Jimmy had previously declared that his series, which starred Sean Bean as Fr Michael Kerrigan, was "all about the Eucharist".

The event is free.

Friday, September 7, 2018 - 11:00 to Saturday, September 8, 2018 - 11:00
St Francis Xaviers Church
Salisbury St
Liverpool
L3 8DR
United Kingdom

https://www.indcatholicnews.com/news/35446

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2018, 01:37:17 AM »
Sean Bean TV series ‘Broken’ featured during Eucharistic Congress in Liverpool

McGovern was speaking Sep. 7 at a screening of the first episode of Broken at Liverpool’s Saint Ignatius Xavier Church, where the series was filmed. It was also the location of the since-closed parish school McGovern attended as a child.

The screening was part of the “parallel program” for the Adoremus Eucharistic Congress taking place in Liverpool.

The writer doesn’t have pleasant memories from the school and noted the rough punishments he sometimes received. He said it “damaged” him, and others.

Although no longer a practicing Catholic, McGovern said since leaving school he has had nothing but positive experiences with priests.

“They’ve always been there for me,” he said.

Broken combines these two elements, where Bean’s character, Father Michael Kerrigan, is suffering debilitating flashbacks of his troubled childhood while trying to do his best to minister to his impoverished community.

“It exorcised quite a few demons for me,” McGovern said. “It was a healthy thing for me to do.”

McGovern said Bean resisted taking the role, because he feared the priest was too passive, especially in the confessional.

“I jumped around telling him how wrong he was,” McGovern said, adding that the weight a priest takes on in the confessional can be overpowering

Jesuit Father Denis Blackledge, the pastor of Saint Francis Xavier and a consultant on the series, said Bean “was very humble” during filming, and “grew into the collar.”

The series does not shy away from the problems facing working class neighborhoods in the North of England, and episodes take on issues such as poverty, single parenthood, suicide, and police brutality.

It also doesn’t shy away from other aspects of the priesthood, especially prayer. The Mass plays an important role in the series, and scenes feature the priest reciting the Hail Mary and the Our Father at pivotal moments

“Jimmy basically concentrated on three parts of the Mass: The first the entrance to the ‘I confess’; the second was the consecration and the elevation; and the third was the actual receiving of Communion itself,” said Blackledge.

McGovern told Crux that the BBC didn’t have any problems with the prayers in the series (in fact, what he complained about was the fact the producers tried to fight him on the sound in the show.)

He said the only thing that mattered about the featuring of prayers is that they “worked in the edit.”

“They came at crucial times,” the writer said. “As a dramatist, you want people to say ‘What now?’ And the prayer comes at that crucial time.”

He was referencing the end of the first episode, when a woman is going to have to face the consequence for a bad decision. Kerrigan prays the Our Father with her, and stares at a picture of Christ: McGovern said this leaves the priest, and the audience, thinking, “What now?”

Both McGovern and Blackledge said they have heard from many bishops and priests - both Catholic and Anglican - about how meaningful it has been for them.

The Jesuit said this has not been a universal response.

“Some clergy have liked it, some haven’t. Some have found it a bit raw. I think it could be close to the knuckle for some clergy if you’re not content in your own skin, with your own brokenness,” he told Crux.

“The whole essence of Jimmy’s thought was this brokenness of Jesus himself, who was on the Cross. And also the taking, the blessing, the breaking, and the giving, which are the four key elements of Eucharist,” Blackledge said.

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-uk-and-ireland/2018/09/08/sean-bean-tv-series-broken-featured-during-eucharistic-congress-in-liverpool/

Offline SMcFirefly

• Ian's Treasure
« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2018, 10:46:32 AM »
Does anybody know if Sean Bean would qualify for this year's International Emmys? If so, when would the nominations be?

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
Does anybody know if Sean Bean would qualify for this year's International Emmys? If so, when would the nominations be?

2018 International Emmy® Awards — Rules & Regulations
https://www.iemmys.tv/pop_awards_rules.aspx?formId=2&rule=6

ELIGIBILITY
https://www.iemmys.tv/pop_awards_rules.aspx?formId=2&rule=1

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #315 on: September 12, 2018, 03:29:03 AM »
BBC drama Broken 'all about the Eucharist', says McGovern

McGovern said the series did not refer to a “broken” society but to the broken body of Christ on the Cross, and the breaking of bread in the Mass

Hundreds of people turned out to St Francis Xavier in Liverpool, known as SFX, to hear writer Jimmy McGovern, who grew up in the parish, answer questions about his award-winning BBC1 drama Broken.

Parish priest Fr Denis Blackledge SJ, who hosted the session, was an adviser on the series, parts of which were filmed in SFX.

McGovern told the packed church that the series did not refer to a “broken” society, as many assume, but to the broken body of Christ on the Cross, and the breaking of bread in the Mass.

The two sessions, which took place last Friday and Saturday as part of the parallel programme of the Adoremus national eucharistic pilgrimage and congress, followed the screening in the church of an episode from the six-part drama.

McGovern is not a practising Catholic but during filming told Fr Denis that the drama, starring Sean Bean as Fr Michael Kerrigan, was “all about the Eucharist”.

Afterward Fr Denis, now aged 75 and parish priest at SFX since Easter 2016, told The Tablet he had been asked to explain what it had felt like, being a priest for more than 40 years.

“I said, it starts in your gut. It goes through your heart. You deal with your own stuff. Then hopefully you are fit to be alongside other people and deal with theirs.”

He said that as he taught “priestcraft” to Sean Bean, he watched him “grow into the collar” during filming. He made sure every aspect of the liturgy, ritual and other aspects of church life were reflected with faithful accuracy, down to having the correct readings open in the Missal. He was also able to advise on how he should make the sign of the cross, and how Catholics say the rosary and other small but important details of parish and Catholic life.

The Sunday before filming had begun, Sean Bean had turned up for Mass and went for coffee with everyone else after the service. Throughout filming, Fr Blackledge would be working in his office, where Sean Bean or others would often turn up asking for advice on details in the latest scene.

The resulting close attention to detail, along with the quality of the writing, was among the features which gave the drama its strong sense of authenticity, helping it win a Sandford St Martin award for religious broadcasting earlier this year.

During filming, McGovern had specifically asked Fr Blackledge for help with the liturgy. McGovern told the priest: “I don’t want people writing to The Tablet. We have got to get it right.”

https://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/9723/bbc-drama-broken-all-about-the-eucharist-says-mcgovern-

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #316 on: September 19, 2018, 04:17:44 AM »
Writer Jimmy McGovern explains the origins of BBC Broken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB7D-KVz9iI

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #317 on: September 24, 2018, 06:32:11 AM »
SFX, Pope Francis and Marriage Care
Debbie Reynolds, Pastoral Assistant at SFX (St Francis Xavier in Liverpool), talks about parish life, the BBC TV series Broken by Jimmy McGovern, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gh4V6VS2wY

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #318 on: January 06, 2019, 01:03:10 AM »
BROKEN is now on NETFLIX! #Netflix #BROKEN

https://twitter.com/LAProductionsUK/status/1081643115453255683

Info Page: Broken
https://uk.newonnetflix.info/info/80237224/s

What a lovely way to start the New Year! So proud to have been a part of this powerful series #Broken created by one of the most creative souls I’ve been blessed to work with #JimmyMcGovern. With #SeanBean leading our cast. Filmed in my birthplace #Liverpool. You can catch it now on @netflixuk .

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsTcRKxhyzf/

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:02:19 PM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #319 on: May 01, 2021, 03:14:05 AM »
'Growing into the collar' : an inner city priest reflects on training an actor to step into his shoes

By Father Denis Blackledge SJ :

The last person I expected to see in the very front row at Sunday Mass in my Liverpool parish was Sean Bean. Yes, we were starting to film the Broken BBC1 series the next day, and I was to be the religious adviser. It was to lead to fourteen thrilling weeks of working alongside Sean, teaching him how to portray an inner-city Catholic priest in the 21st century.

Sean was a very good listener and a quick learner, and made it easy to be his mentor. We got on like a house on fire, and he grew in his awareness, portraying a deeply compassionate and warm-hearted pastor. His character also brought out his own radical vulnerability as a man.

Jimmy McGovern, the writer, is a local lad, who went to Saint Francis Xavier [SFX] church and school. A no-nonsense character, Jimmy told me from the start to get everything right, as he didn’t want letters of complaint going to The Tablet!  No pressure there, then. So I had the job of correcting the script for the text of the Mass, as Jimmy had used the pre-2011 version

Most of the church filming took place here at SFX, which involved closing the church for an all-day five-day and four-day filming session, spread out during the series. One of the runners on the set regularly came shooting out to my office next door to church, asking me to go and check if everything was ok. We even made sure that the missal was open at the correct page for every shot!

I was on tap when they needed me, and only once was not able to actually go on site when they called me. It was when they did a burial in a local cemetery. But we did let them borrow all the proper liturgical gear for it, and I did a bit of correcting the script in the final editing. There were occasions when we turned up in strange places. One Sunday afternoon we filmed in a local main hospital mortuary, and I added a word or two to Sean’s script, just to make it more human. One day we were in a funeral home, filming a dead young man in his coffin. It isn’t the case normally that the body gets up out of the coffin on such occasions once filming was over! As I was behind the scenes chatting with staff, a real death came in, tragically of a two-week old baby. So that brought all the crew quickly down to earth.

Another location was a warehouse down near the docks. That was where we filmed a three-days-dead mum in her bedroom, whose daughter had pretended she was still alive. I was privileged to be there, and they were so keen to get the small details correct beside her bed: the crucifix, the candles, the rosary, the Sacred Heart picture – signs of a good old Catholic mum. When Sean knelt to pray for her, alongside the daughter who had originally lied to him, I suggested they touched hands together, whilst holding mum’s hand. That same warehouse also became an old-style confessional, with the priest separated from the penitent, for a character who refused to go to confession face-to-face.

Our own Sodality Chapel, a small church in its own right, attached to our main church, was used as a modern confessional, with the penitent sitting on a chair opposite Sean. The Director also used the simple act of lighting of a candle to good effect.

The most chaotic day of filming was when we had 200 extras in for a celebration First Communion Mass with about 40 children. Trying to teach children how to receive Holy Communion reverently and correctly was an almost impossible task, as the children were unknown quantities, only in for the day. I was fascinated when Sean came up to me on the side after various takes, and said: “They’re not doing it properly, Denis!”

The most poignant episode was what was to be the final one of the series, which was the funeral of Sean’s mum. Of course, that had to be filmed in another church. St Vincent’s, near Chinatown, was the venue, and I helped to set it up, and stayed the morning with them. They didn’t finish filming till late afternoon, but I never saw the final part of the mass, including communion, until I was called in to check a bit of the final editing three months later. It was only then that I watched the main characters coming up to communion, and answering Sean’s: “The Body of Christ” with “Amen, you wonderful priest”. That brought tears to my eyes.

All in all, it was an immense privilege to see Sean “growing into the collar”, as I expressed it to someone afterwards. From that unexpected start at Sunday mass to the very final short scene on the last day of filming, which involved Sean and the policeman on our church doorstep, with a rain machine in full swing, it was a joy. So, in brief, after 1,041 scenes, that’s how Sean got his BAFTA for playing Fr Michael in the six-hour programme. And he had the humility to say he wouldn’t have got it if it hadn’t been for my help.
https://www.corew.org/blog/2021/4/6/aj1g9qg825kdsqh3lskod89rzz1zgx