News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ‘Broken’  (Read 55384 times)

Offline jsbritts

• Fan
Re: ‘Broken’
« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2017, 05:25:20 AM »
I kind of disagree with his demons being resolved- I don't think he has fully dealt with his adolescence and having had sex with women. He seems to think he has done so many awful things but we didn't get to fully realize them.  Also, remember the scene when he was a young boy and he walked into a room where a women (I thought it was his mother) was lying on a bed with blood all over her abdomen and she was screaming at him to get out?  What the hell was that!?

I think he has come to terms with what is happening NOW and made peace with himself regarding Vernon's death.  I think he is beginning to realize that he IS flawed and so is everyone else. But I don't think he has resolved everything.

I would like to see them deal with issues such as abortion or pregnancy out of wedlock, Christmas and all the financial turmoil and misguided traditions that go with it, divorce, confirmation, etc.  Also we have never heard about his father.  I think if Sean-o sees the passion of the fans and how well received the series was, I think he would gladly return.  We shall see I guess ;-) 

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2017, 07:33:29 AM »
Yes, you make valid points, and Jimmy McGovern is brilliant enough to come up with another excellent series. I guess it all depends on Sean.

I think I felt  that it was just so perfect, everything, even the music,  if that makes sense? that I thought it should be left as is -- a masterpiece. But you are right. There is certainly more to explore with Fr Michael and Lord knows, his parishioners will have never-ending problems to highlight.

The scene with the woman in blood-soaked clothes. What episode is that, do you remember? Because although I do remember the child Michael, there is also a switch to a sort of 20-year-old who I took to be Michael also. I thought the woman was a girlfriend he had knocked up. Anybody who wants to chime in about that scene, feel free. :)

Offline Clairette

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Beanstalker
« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »
A scene from childhood (e2) with a bloodied woman is, most likely, an abortion. A woman is his mother, a man with a mustache on the stairs, apparently a father. These characters were still in another scene (e5) - at the dinner table, when someone knocked on the locked door and demanded money (abortionist?)
Flashbacks is very fragmented. It is difficult to understand at all, what exactly was there in the relationship with the mother, with the girls in their youth and so on - because of what all this grief?
So, writer can explain a lot. But is it necessary? This story is over. Yes, it is unlikely that the demons have left, they retreated rather. But, if McGovern will shoot something new from Michael's life - then let it be really new, and not comments to the old story.
I would very much like a unpredictable story. New aspect of the character and personality , so to speak. I hope the great screenwriter and brilliant actor will do it!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:01:11 PM by Clairette »

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
Ah, you thought it was Michael's father standing in the corridor?

Yes, definitely it was an abortion, I am just not sure whether it was Michael's mother or his girlfriend because there was reference to how he had treated women badly when he was young.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:32:56 AM by Rebecca »

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
I really need to watch that scene again, I guess, although I am not sure I will be more enlightened. lol

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »
I am going to say that was not Michael's father; he didn't look old enough. That was Michael standing in the corridor while his girlfriend had an abortion.

Offline Clairette

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Beanstalker
« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »
Ah, you thought it was Michael's father standing in the corridor?
Well, as far as I can judge by actors' faces

Yes, definitely it was an abortion, I am just not sure whether it was Michael's mother or his girlfriend because there was reference to how he had treated women badly when he was young.
This is said, but not shown

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »
Hmm, it's a mystery. Thanks for the screen shots, but I'm still not sure what was happening.

Offline Clairette

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Beanstalker
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
I am going to say that was not Michael's father; he didn't look old enough. That was Michael standing in the corridor while his girlfriend had an abortion.
I do not think so )

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »
Maybe it was miscarriage? That would have been shocking for a child.

Offline Clairette

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Beanstalker
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2017, 10:13:08 AM »
May be

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
Well, maybe if there is a season two, we will learn what happened.

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2017, 10:33:12 AM »
 :obsess   :obsess   :obsess 

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

Clairette,Rebecca,between you there's enough story material for at least another 4 Seasons.  :thumbsup:

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2017, 10:55:15 AM »
Haha! Well, I can't write a screenplay, but I could come up with lots of ideas. Haha. I think Jimmy McGovern is more than capable, though.

Offline Clairette

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Beanstalker
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2017, 11:18:24 AM »
Clairette,Rebecca,between you there's enough story material for at least another 4 Seasons.  :thumbsup:
Oh yeah! Even more 
Season 2 - Father Michael for the defeat of slot machines goes to jail. Life and drama of the penitentiary system of the UK.
Season 3 - in prison he meets a former Tibetan terrorist (Chow Yun-Fat) and turns to Buddhism. Dramas and life of terrorists and Buddhists.
Season 4 - Yogi Mikhail and his chela from juvenile delinquents appear with a spiritual mission in crack den, mmm, Birmingham? Life and drama of addicts.
I can not anymore, my brain processor has overheated, the excess of English

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »
- Fr Michael minsters to a couple who can't receive communion because she was married before. Divorced because the husband was abusive. This is a huge issue in the Church today.

- Fr Michael has a child of his suddenly appear in his life.  Yowza.

- Fr Michael ministers to a gay couple who aren't supposed to receive communion. Another huge issue in the Church today.

- Fr Michael deals with Muslims who vandalise the church. Huge issue, but JM is super-liberal so probably not.

-Fr Michael helps refugees and gets everybody mad.

Yes, now that I think about it, lots of potential in another series.   :thumbsup:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
First Tuesday without a new episode to look forward to this evening :poorme:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2017, 05:46:53 AM »
BBC reports iPlayer live stream spike

Outside of live viewing, Sean Bean drama Broken was the best performing show, with over 1.2 million requests

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/07/bbc-reports-iplayer-live-stream-spike.html

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2017, 06:39:40 AM »
It was outstanding.