News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Steel Life Portrait: Vrace yourselves, is this gow people will remember Sean?  (Read 1278 times)

Online patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Steel Life Portrait: Vrace yourselves, is this gow people will remember Sean?

This may come as a shock to many, but I have never seen a single moment of Game Of Thrones. Yes, I gather it is amazing, yes I know it’s possibly the best thing ever committed to the silver screen and yes, you’re going to implore me to watch it because “I don’t know what I’m missing.”

Save your breath. It ain’t happening. People to see, places to go, kinda thing. What I do know about GOT (see, I at least know the lingo) is that it starred (or did) Sheffield’s very own Sean Bean.

Now the reason I know this is because our Sean features in a series of those viral web photos, known as “memes” to the uninitiated.You know the kind of things, the wild-haired guy with the outstretched arms proclaiming “aliens,” Star Trek’s facepalming Jean-Luc Picard, the “condescending Willy Wonka” picture.

"There’s people out there not party to When Saturday Comes"

Sean has the pleasure of starring in two of these.There’s the one of him cloaked in fur, clutching a sword and looking all weatherbeaten, the caption for which generally begins “brace yourselves...” and then his “One Does Not Simply...” speech from Lord Of The Rings (if you are still bemused, Google them).
Now a certain generation are going to grow up with these pictures as reference to Sean’s huge body of work (indeed, both my sons know him for that and that alone).There’s an entire swathe of people out there who will never be party to his “better let him live his dream and play for Sheffield United fantasy” flick When Saturday Comes (actually, possibly a good thing) or him apparently uttering the infamous line “Come lass, let’s mek luv while t’bacon fries” as rough diamond groundsman Mellors in a decidely saucy, sex-fuelled 1993 TV telling of Lady Chatterley’s Lover with Joely Richardson.

And that’s not to mention him being the voice of the purple route trams, although I wish they’d allowed him to keep his Sheffield tones a little bit more and refer to it as ’erdings Park (no H).So brace yourselves folks, let’s embrace Sean for his many fine works.

One does not simply want to be remembered for a picture.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/opinion/steel-life-portrait-vrace-yourselves-is-this-gow-people-will-remember-sean-1-8408535

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
Is it just me, or is that a really weird article?  I get vibes of a resentful, passive-aggressive beta-male writing that.

Offline crossing-sweeper

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
Yeah, really weird. Still, I expect Sean will recover from it ... I imagine he's got other things to think about, like opening his wallet for the wedding Ashley's planning - all those makeup artists, shepherd's huts, bridesmaid's tattoos, prosecco vans ...

Offline Layla

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Super Fan
Sean is an Internet Meme King! I doubt it will bother him too much and if anything it's probably gained him more fans. The "one does not simply" meme is a classic and probably the most memorable line from the whole of LOTR, not bad considering Boromir was only in the 1st film (excluding the extended edition scenes)
I do wonder where the game of thrones "Brace Yourself" meme came from though, as he never actually said that.
One of the newer ones I've seen is the "Seen Been / Shawn Bawn" which is quite amusing.