News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Troy: behind the scenes of a Hollywood epic  (Read 903 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Troy: behind the scenes of a Hollywood epic
« on: December 17, 2019, 04:32:15 AM »
Troy: behind the scenes of a Hollywood epic
The myth of Troy has been told and retold throughout history and Hollywood hasn’t been immune to its lure. Here Honorary Research Fellow Lesley Fitton reveals her behind-the-scenes experience of working on the 2004 epic, Troy.

The film has more to tell, including the story of the Wooden Horse and the eventual fall of Troy. It too ends with funeral rites, but this time of Achilles himself. Leave aside any irritation with the coins on eyes, and enjoy the final monologue by Odysseus (Sean Bean), which always sends a shiver down my spine. Sadly I didn’t meet him, but I think his closing words are one of the best bits of the film:

"If they ever tell my story, let them say that I walked with giants. Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names will never die. Let them say I lived in the time of Hector, tamer of horses. Let them say I lived in the time of Achilles".

Discover how the myth of Troy has captured the imagination of artists, writers and filmmakers throughout history in the BP exhibition Troy: myth and reality (21 November 2019 – 8 March 2020).
There will be a special screening of Troy followed by a discussion with presenter Iszi Lawrence and the Troy exhibition curators on 23 February 2020. The event is open to all British Museum Members. Find out more and book tickets here. 
https://blog.britishmuseum.org/troy-behind-the-scenes-of-a-hollywood-epic/