News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just a note  (Read 184729 times)

tinytim

Re: Just a note
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 04:00:33 PM »
he might actually have to put some effort in and fight for it........... :not
Yep.....!!

BTW...I'm not a Crow fan....but I also think, he has "something"!

Mike

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
he might actually have to put some effort in and fight for it........... :not
Yep.....!!

BTW...I'm not a Crow fan....but I also think, he has "something"!

It's a starter TT. OK I like Sean more then Russell; but he is interesting.

When I think about Robin Hood the movie with Mel Brooks comes to my mind. Don't know why. Maybe it's cos I try to suppress  Kevin Costner.

tinytim

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
 :mutley:

Offline Blue Jay

• Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 05:58:29 PM »
Go on thinking loud Sable. Very interesting...................

BTW Russell Crowe isn't butt ugly. Oh, Oh what did I say now.  :ignore2: :ignore2: :ignore2: :ignore2: :ignore2:

Yes, he is ......... :wellll:

kimmy

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 07:02:43 PM »
He may have looked like a little stoner when he was a tot, but he matured quite nicely, BJ.... you must admit:

Not a classically handsome man, but great charisma and sex appeal!  And, dare I say it, better box office draw?  If Sean wants that role, he's gonna have to fight hard for it.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »
It won't happen.  Sean's star was really just beginning to rise when he met George - and it's been going down since then.  He can't compete against the likes of Crowe and Bale, who have had non-stop starring roles for the last three years . . . while he was busy dissing the folks who give you jobs.

Talent doesn't count for squat; it's all about box office draw - and yes, WE know that Sean COULD draw an audience, but who is going to give him the chance when they have sure things on call?

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 11:05:33 PM »
It won't happen.  Sean's star was really just beginning to rise when he met George - and it's been going down since then.  He can't compete against the likes of Crowe and Bale, who have had non-stop starring roles for the last three years . . . while he was busy dissing the folks who give you jobs.

Talent doesn't count for squat; it's all about box office draw - and yes, WE know that Sean COULD draw an audience, but who is going to give him the chance when they have sure things on call?

He started "nesting" and got comfortable and complacent?  *shrugs*  Like I said.  If he doesn't have the ambition...

Anyway.  There's quite a bit of discussion on the IMDb forums of "Nottingham" on Who should play Robing Hood and quite a lot of support for the boy as well as opinions that he is too old for the part.

Mike

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 03:12:20 AM »
Go on thinking loud Sable. Very interesting...................

BTW Russell Crowe isn't butt ugly. Oh, Oh what did I say now.  :ignore2: :ignore2: :ignore2: :ignore2: :ignore2:

Yes, he is ......... :wellll:

Whoops our RHR spoke.  :backout I know how to get myself into trouble
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 06:34:49 AM by Mike »

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 07:49:09 AM »
Does the Queen get the final say?

Mike

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 08:04:46 AM »
She thinks it MF, she thinks it.

And we allow her to go on believing.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »

He started "nesting" and got comfortable and complacent?  *shrugs*  Like I said.  If he doesn't have the ambition...

Anyway.  There's quite a bit of discussion on the IMDb forums of "Nottingham" on Who should play Robing Hood and quite a lot of support for the boy as well as opinions that he is too old for the part.

I don't think he's too old for the role - it actually makes more sense to have an older Robin Hood - particularly if they are going with the deposed Earl who rode off on Crusade with the Lionheart, etc, etc.  The little fella they have on the BBC television version is what, twelve?  And yet he was supposed to have been off on Crusade for three years?  The Children's Crusade, maybe . . .
Even if they go with the other version of RH - the yeoman turned bandit without a redeeming quality (none of the merry men or "giving to the poor" - he just kept it), there's no reason an older man couldn't play the role.
Russell Crowe is five years younger than Sean and doesn't look particularly sprightly (imo - not bad.  doesn't float my boat), and he is presumably playing the love interest to Sienna Miller (at least it's the Middle Ages, when young women were married off to old farts all the time . . .) - it might actually play into the idea of an "evil" Robin Hood if he were played by an older man - someone grizzled and a bit world weary and cynical.  It always strains credulity when they have a young person trying to convince the audience that they're world weary and cynical.

But I really do not think that they will cast  Sean.   I think his "nesting" (love the euphemism!) has actually damaged his reputation in the business and he's paying the piper now.  It may not be a lack of ambition as much as a series of bad choices and now the roles he wants just aren't coming his way.  Let's face it - the projects that he's been attached to (even speculatively) for the last couple of years are either hold-overs from before he started his slide into mediocrity (like AWONI and CLS) or small budget indies (like TROAE) or scripts that sound suspiciously like "B" movies.

Last Battle Dreamer has some potential - but it could also turn out (if it every gets made) to be one of those weird modern love stories set in the past, so it all looks very contrived and silly and ends up going straight to DVD and Sunday afternoon showings on the the movie channels.  Black Death has all the hallmarks of the classic "B" bloody, scary, horror flick - there's potential there, but when you see the word "necromancer" it doesn't really suggest a plot of any depth.

That's not to say he wouldn't make some money from them - there are plenty of people who love that stuff.  But he won't earn any more credit in "serious" acting circles - and since he has apparently squandered what he did have, he needs at least a little if he ever wants to have a chance at a major production or a film with a shot at critical acclaim.  If he lacks ambition, then I suspect he doesn't care - if he does care than I feel very sorry for him - but he made his bed.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 04:46:29 AM »

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »
Heh... and a few inaccuracies.  The Sharpe series "made" actors like Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig?  :P

Argentina - that's Sharpe's Devil but that is unlikely to actually be filmed there because of the cost.  Probably the Crimea again.  ;)

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »
Argentina?  Where did Argentina come from?  Devil takes place in Chile.  And rumour from the Muir Sutherland camp has the producers looking at filming it in Spain.

Mike

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 03:27:33 AM »
Argentina?  Where did Argentina come from?  Devil takes place in Chile.  And rumour from the Muir Sutherland camp has the producers looking at filming it in Spain.

I was really surprised when I read it so that was the reason to post. Maybe some of you knows more.

Soulmate

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 01:01:01 PM »
pssssstttt : like Russel Crowe as well...... bad boy image and a very interesting face - a man with rough edges!

Okay - back to Robin Hood - did I miss something ? Why donīt they take Richard Armitage? I thought he was a huge success???
But well - anybody will be better than Kevin Costner!
Do you think Sean would apply for such a great job? Or does he think, while he is nesting, they have to come and ask him?

I have heard too that they definetely will make Devil - so that pays his meal tickets I guess. Maybe he thinks itīs enough. Maybe he likes the low budget movies. Maybe he feels lazy and doesnt want to work much anymore. Maybe he thinks he made enough money for the rest of his life. Who will ever know.... I just canīt imagine him not wanting great roles.... thatīs so not him. And at the same time I will never understand, how he couldnt make something great after all the doors, that opened to him after LOTR and Troy. I would understand, if an actor with his brilliant skills would say " no TV and cinema anymore - I want to play only theatre-roles" - but crappy movies like Hitcher & Co?
Soulmate

tinytim

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
pssssstttt : like Russel Crowe as well...... bad boy image and a very interesting face - a man with rough edges!
... I just canīt imagine him not wanting great roles.... thatīs so not him. And at the same time I will never understand, how he couldnt make something great after all the doors, that opened to him after LOTR and Troy. I would understand, if an actor with his brilliant skills would say " no TV and cinema anymore - I want to play only theatre-roles" - but crappy movies like Hitcher & Co?
Soulmate
:hellyeah2: Can't agree more, SM!!

Mike

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 02:22:20 PM »

pssssst very good. We must be quiet otherwise the HRH will notice so pssssssssssssst

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 02:42:31 PM »
I've seen the name Richard Armitage, but I'm not familiar with his work.  Is he mostly known in the UK?