News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just a note  (Read 184702 times)

Mike

Re: Just a note
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2008, 05:15:39 AM »

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2008, 07:37:46 AM »
It seems that most people agree that wasn't a very good movie.  I'm always glad to see Sean, though.

Mike

« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2008, 07:45:09 AM »
Sean was great but the rest was sheer nonsense.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2008, 07:49:29 AM »
I remember I was very tired when I watched the movie, and was having a hard time staying awake.  Sean was the only reason I kept watching.

Offline Blue Jay

• Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2008, 07:56:22 AM »
Sylvene knows more about the gaming world. Maybe she can give her opinion? I really hated the film as well, and I do like a good horror flick once in a while.

Mike

« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »
It was enough to put you to sleep. I fell asleep in cinema and my friend prodded me when Sean appeared. Nice

Offline Blue Jay

• Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2008, 08:01:14 AM »
Actually, I fell asleep too .....  :rotfl1:

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2008, 08:02:57 AM »
I love good horror movies (not the slasher ones) the ones that are genuinely scary, but they don't seem to make many of those any more.  I totally see how you both fell asleep during the movie.  I know I kept  nodding off.

Mike

« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:22 AM »
I felt her elbow and then I know good look guy on screen.

tinytim

« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2008, 08:20:10 AM »
I didn't fall asleep, but I couldn't help laughing all the time!:-)

Mike

« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2008, 08:24:32 AM »
There are only two things you can do sleeping or laughing; when Sean isn't there. When he's there you can languish for him. So you have to bit to do during the movie.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2008, 10:18:59 AM »
Let's see - without turning back a page to see which film you're discussing, I'd say either "Hitcher" or "Silent Hill."

Which suggests a new game to while away the time, since the object of our attention has vanished from public gaze . . . how about a thread where we describe a film without using any character names - and as little of the plot as possible.  Instead, use adjectives like: scary, boring, complex, etc.  Describe the scenery: city, town, countryside but not the actual location.  Describe how well the actors play their roles - how convincing they were - without actually describing the characters . . .

Or something like that.

Offline Blue Jay

• Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »
Great idea! Why don't you start?

:thumbsup:

Mike

« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »
Sounds good.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »
Okay . . .

erm . . . . .

Not very long; relies on physical scene and cinematography to carry the film as much as plot and dialogue.  Characters are well-drawn but only vaguely defined - intentionally.  Characterisations allow the actors to stretch their acting muscles a bit.  Storyline is sometimes confusing, but moves rapidly enough to avoid boredom.  Set in a city, but location is not clearly defined by the scenery.  Gritty by intent; vaguely surreal.  Based loosely on real events.

Offline Blue Jay

• Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »
Oh, I will have to go and think about this one. I'll be back ....

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
Sylvene knows more about the gaming world. Maybe she can give her opinion? I really hated the film as well, and I do like a good horror flick once in a while.

The game was good - is good.  Actually, very good.  Especially if you are into that genre - Horror / Action.  Fantastic graphics, beautiful art and chilling soundtrack.  It actually has quite a bit of cult following in the game world.  There are actually 6 Silent Hill games.  Which shows you the longevity of the title.  I couldn't see how they would turn it into movie, but guessed that a good screenwriter and director could pull it off. 

A few friends who were fans of the game went to watch the movie after watching the trailers and came back not only disappointed but disgusted.  The game IS produced by the Japanese, so the English dialogue isn't that good and as the article put it, the iffy dialogue carried through to the movie.  The game has beautiful cinematic cutscenes of possible ending scenarios and they are reached by the player making certain decisions during the game.  In the game, you played the main character and made decisions, so you have an immediate buy-in.

The movie could also have suffered from pressures of re-writes.  Sean was not originally slated to have a starring role.  Due to studio pressure for a male lead, he was re-written into a subplot - all those surreal scenarios which worked well enough in the game - but felt disjointed and messy in a movie. Now... still, it looked great (from what I saw of the trailers) and some friends confirmed it was great until the dialogue was pointed out whereupon the defense was.  "It was bad in the game too!"

I didn't watch the movie because it got thumbs down from everyone I knew and I'm not a fan of horror movies.  I only watch them on the home screen and if I have someone who's lap I can crawl into.  So I haven't watched a horror movie in oh... 6 years I think.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2008, 11:44:21 AM »
I felt her elbow and then I know good look guy on screen.

You're lucky that you had a good friend to give you Sean alerts.

Mike

« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2008, 11:47:58 AM »
Yes alert system works very good in the cinema. Even when we watch DVD

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2008, 11:58:15 AM »
I could use an alert system.  I watch a lot of crappy movies on cable tv, and often have a hard time staying awake.