News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just a note  (Read 184887 times)

Mike

Re: Just a note
« Reply #360 on: August 11, 2008, 03:03:59 AM »
I hate gardening but I love chicken .......... sweet-and-sour

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #361 on: August 11, 2008, 03:06:50 AM »
 :mutley:

Myowyn

« Reply #362 on: August 11, 2008, 06:10:17 AM »
I hate gardening but I love chicken .......... sweet-and-sour

:agreed: :goodjob: so do I  :mutley:

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #363 on: August 11, 2008, 07:02:06 AM »
Yes, I do love birds and have several feeders and birdbaths in my yard, plus some bird houses. We have a wide variety of birds here, from the tiny hummingbirds to the large rock doves and crows.  I seen dozens of different varieties in my yard.   Some are here year round, others migrate through  here for a few weeks in the spring and fall.  It's a special treat to see the colorful goldfinches, indigo buntings and rose breasted grosbeaks during their short stays.   Every year, house finches build a nest in a basket on our front porch and raise their little families, and other birds build nests in the bird houses or in trees and shrubs.  I love listening to their various songs too.

Myowyn

« Reply #364 on: August 11, 2008, 07:32:25 AM »
ha nature when you holds us!!! lol I also love to hear that, it's really nice especialy when you are in rage, it calmes you down! All I need for instance!

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #365 on: August 11, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »
I have a love/hate relationship with the birds around my house.  The scissor-tail swallows build their mud nests in one spot on the front porch so that we can't use the front door because once the eggs hatch they will attack anyone coming to the door and they dive bomb the cats in the yard when they aren't even doing anything.  They are great fun to watch but so very messy, especially when Miss Tiger, our bird cat, leaves me a nice pile of bloody feathers and a smear on the kitchen floor.  A swarm of quail make a daily pass thru the back pasture, picking apart the horse apples which makes them disintegrate faster and they keep down the grasshopper population, but they terrorize the cats.  Guess its all a part of living in the country.

Mike

« Reply #366 on: August 11, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »
especially when Miss Tiger, our bird cat, leaves me a nice pile of bloody feathers and a smear on the kitchen floor. 

Hey that's a special present for you. She just wants to show you that she like you. Be glad that she doesn't want to teach you how do you have to catch a mouse. Then a mouse would run through your kitchen.

Myowyn

« Reply #367 on: August 11, 2008, 11:20:12 AM »
 :agreed: it's true if you tell that to a vet he will tell you it's because your cat is proud and wants to show you he loves you so much!

I imagine if Tiger teaches you how to catch his tail!!!  :mutley:

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #368 on: August 11, 2008, 11:46:34 AM »
Personally i prefer flowers or diamonds to rodents, but my cat doesn't seem to take the hint.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #369 on: August 11, 2008, 11:55:06 AM »
Wait till Sylvene gets here and tells you about the Saturday afternoon search for the dead mouse hidden somewhere in my living room.  Its rather embarrassing trying to explain to a visitor why your living room smells like a morgue.

Mike

« Reply #370 on: August 11, 2008, 11:57:58 AM »
In a morgue you have fresh air. You smell nothing. Good AC

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #371 on: August 11, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »
Sable:  "There's a dead mouse in here."
Sylvene:  "Is that what that smell is..."
Sable yells for the other half:  "You've got to get rid of that dead mouse!"
Sable's other half:  "Where is it?"
Sable:  "In here somewhere!"

Sylvene... having had cats, and one that looooved bringing in mice wisely kept her mouth shut and didn't let on that the first time her cat did that to her, she spent more time standing on a chair than sweeping the mouse out of the house.  It's not a lot of fun if you are peering under the cupboards and a mouse makes a dash right at your face because the cat is trying to flush it out from the other side.

I was playing an online game with 5 guys when something scampered over my bare foot.  It wasn't warm and furry.  Mice have cold feet.  I think I deafened the guys with my shriek over the chat.  They were no help at all.  One of the worst suggestions was to trap the mouse using a teacup.  Teacup??  Yeah... over 6 years ago and I still remember that suggestion.

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #372 on: August 11, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »
I've lotst track of the number of times we've moved all the furniture round in the lounge trying to get the mouse that's gone under first one chair and then the other. It's amazing the tiny tiny spaces they can get their bodies into. We always try to put a tupprware or something over it so we can lovingly scoop it up and put it outside alive. The last time we tried this with a vase and my husband dropped the vase over (he thought) the mouse to trap it, but dropped it on the damn thing and killed it. Got blood all over my vase too. Last night out bedroom door was shut and she couldn't bring in the pressie, so she just played with it in the hall til it died of fright. I have to say that was lot easier than chasing it round the lounge!  We are animal lovers really we are, it just wears a bit thin at 3 am.

Offline Blue Jay

• Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #373 on: August 11, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »
Mice can have sweaty feet too. So can rats. Clammy, sweaty feet. Believe me I know. I had pet rats  :sooobad

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #374 on: August 11, 2008, 12:58:46 PM »
Ew... Beanyfan... blood all over your vase.  Luckily he didn't break your vase!  *shudder*  Poor little mouse. 

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #375 on: August 11, 2008, 02:31:39 PM »
it did receive a decent burial  (we had to make sure the cat didn't find it again!)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #376 on: August 11, 2008, 06:02:53 PM »
When I was 11, I had a year-long science project involving mice - breeding to determine colour variation, etc.  Started with 2 white mice and 2 black mice . . . ended up with over 60 mice in varying shades.

The cages were in my bedroom (do not even think about the smell . . .) - my cat, Mr. Moto, was determined to "cull the herd" on a regular basis and learned how to open the cage doors.  We didn't know this for quite awhile; we just thought the little buggers were escaping between the bars.

I can still see my mother, who really didn't like the mice but did support my fledgling efforts at scientific enquiry, chasing Moto down the hall as he attempted to swallow a mouse whole, while on the run.  She'd catch the cat, put her hand around his throat, and - more often than not - succeed in pulling a very damp, very confused, and probably very traumatised mouse out of his mouth.  Said mouse would be delivered to me held at arm's length by it's tail.

She told me later that the mice were better than the colony of horned toads I collected and kept when I was about 6.  I made outfits for them out of scraps of material, dug up ant colonies to collect the eggs for them to eat, and built them little houses out of shoe-boxes (my dad got me an old refrigerator box to keep them in and my toad town was inside the box.  When they died, I insisted on giving them "proper" burials and she had to put up with my little toad cemetery in her flower bed - complete with a picket fence made of whitewashed popcicle sticks and tombstones with their names painted on for each grave.

Mice are cute - so are horned toads.  Don't mind snakes, either (unless they're venomous).  We don't have mice around here - or horned toads or snakes.  Just lizards.  Lizards aren't bad, but not as much fun.

Mike

« Reply #377 on: August 13, 2008, 08:39:18 AM »
Our drama line up sees exciting, fresh young talent making their television debuts on ITV1 alongside some of the UK's leading actors. Direct from her appearance in the West End is Connie Fisher who stars in Caught In A Trap, plus the sassy young cast of our brand new musical drama Britannia High. Joining them on ITV1 are some of the UK's most stellar stars including, Richard E Grant, Hugh Bonneville, Alex Kingston, Juliet Stevenson, Geraldine James, Toby Stephens, Kelly Reilly, Sean Bean, Robson Green, Michelle Ryan, Kevin Whately, Amanda Burton, Martin Clunes and Stephen Fry.

http://www.searchbyheadlines.com/posted_news/104190.html

Mike

« Reply #378 on: August 13, 2008, 08:41:42 AM »
Three-part thriller The Children, written by Lucy Gannon, follows the investigation into the murder of an eight-year-old girl on her own patio while Sean Bean returns as Sharpe in new two-hour feature, Sharpe's Peril.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/aug/13/itv.television

Mike

« Reply #379 on: September 12, 2008, 11:40:46 AM »
A friend of mine sent me this link

http://www.yorkshire-icons.com/icons.aspx