News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Daragh O'Malley  (Read 52598 times)

Soulmate

Daragh O'Malley
« on: June 15, 2008, 02:41:01 AM »
With the latest pics of Daragh I found out that I really like him - and he is the last Chosen Man who is in the new Sharpe - couldnt imagine Sharpe without him. So I searched, and TT gave me some links as well (  :hug: ). And guess what - it seems he wrote on one board (of course you can never know if itīs true - what do you think? It s hard to judge in a foreign language)

http://misternock.com/News.html

1 Fri May 30 2008 - 12:33:33
Your Name: Patrick Harper

Comments: I am very honoured to have such a wonderful website on the world wide web in the name of my very reliable companion Mister Nock of London. Mr. Sharpe and I have just completed a horrific mission in India - lucky to get out alive, its a terrible bloody country and full of forigners to boot - I hate foreigners! What we were doing in India in the first place is anybody's guess..... Mr. Sharpe's last known whereabouts was The New Imperial Hotel in Delhi - too posh for me - so I headed for London and then home to Dublin. I have two oyster bars here in Dublin now and both are doing well - we sell lots of stout and oysters and brown bread - cant beat that combination if you want to keep the wife happy! Say no more!
Mr. Sharpe always says he will write to me but he never does. I told him before I left him in India that we would live forever - so far so good..... but I did think he looked a bit shook in Kalimgong - thats the place where we were in India - and he spent a lot of time there with Mr. Foster and Mr. Kingfisher and sometimes I think they were a bad influence on him. But sure who am I to talk - God did not make a vice that i dont have. Anyhow - its not what you achieve in life thats important its the obstacles you overcome.......thats what my mother used to say........God save Ireland!

tinytim

Re: Daragh O'Malley
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 03:00:03 AM »
I've read that, too. SM. I'd really like to know, if it was Daragh, who wrote the comment. The style sounds very "harperlike" to me. Well, we'll presumable never know!

Soulmate

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 03:12:49 AM »
Maybe we will never know - maybe we will. lol

Look at those two pics - am very smitten right now :-)) I always loved his belly!!!

(both from http://misternock.com/ and it s said there, Jason sent them - so thanks to Jason as well)

Hereīs the bio from http://www.southessex.co.uk/bios/patrickharper.htm
daragh o'malley - actor/writer
Daragh was born in Limerick, Ireland on 25th May 1954. His father was a prominent Irish politician and his mother was an eminent psychiatrist. Throughout his schooldays, Daragh was always involved in drama, and when he left school he joined the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. After drama school, he worked in theatre before his first tv role as Pat Grogan in ATV's Crossroads.

From those early days Daragh has gone on to appear in more than 80 tv productions and films. Since his role as Harper, Daragh has been busy writing, directing and appearing in various film roles on tv and the cinema. He is currently working on the latest series for tv, "Silent Witness". Daragh is married to Gabrielle and lives in Ireland.

Another website: http://shipofdreams.me.uk/harper/

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 03:21:47 AM by Soulmate »

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
I don't know if I've ever seen  him before last night, when I watched Sharpe for the first time.  He reminds me a little of the late Robert Shaw.  I really enjoyed  his character in Sharpe.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »
The Mr Nock Site belongs to a lady called Mare. She can be found as a member of the www.95thrifles.com forum. She may be able to tell you all about it.

Soulmate

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 12:13:06 PM »
Oh great BJ - you really do know everything and everybody in the Sharpe World ! As I donīt know her - could you ask her if you see her?
Soulmate

P.S.: MF - youīll love him and his wicked humor too, soon!

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:33:56 PM »
I'll pm her ...

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 12:40:27 PM »
Interesting.  If he did write that, it's a rather stunning indictment of "Mr. Sharpe" - posh hotels and an intimate relationship with beer that led to behaviour worth noting . . . "its not what you achieve in life thats important its the obstacles you overcome."

That last sentence says a book full.

ouch.

Oyster bars in Dublin.  There's a pub crawl to consider, eh?

Thank you for posting, SM!

Soulmate

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
Right Lighty - thatīs why I am thinking all the time if itīs true. And the "he wonīt write letters anyway" - sounds so true......
All sounds a tiny little bit - how to say it without being pathetic - a bit critican and maybe even hurt. I get the same feeling I got when I listened often enough to the commentaries in Challenge. That one puts more into the "friendship" than the other.
Well - if it was Daragh who wrote it: Chapeau - I like people who tell whatīs on their mind.

Am all in the pub crawl - not much into oysters though - you can have mine and I have bread and booze :-) Must be fun - I love Irish bars! And have never been in one in Ireland :-)  :beer2:

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »
'scuse my ignorance -    'mr foster' and 'mr kingfisher'  - beers??

tinytim

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »
Lighty and SM: Totally agreed. The comment delineates the relationsship between Daragh and Sean in a way I've supposed it is like.
Btw. I had the same feeling as you listening to the Challenge commentaries, SM. Daragh with a cute enthusiasm, Sean more impersonal.

Beer, BF! :-)

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »
Understanding the whole the whole thing now -that's rather sad, but as you say it's what some of the others implied about the fact that they never heard from him from one Sharpe to the next. Interesting that he feels he can say something at this point.  Maybe this is what Linda whatsername picked up on in her book when she was rather disparaging about Daragh's realtionship with Sean.

Soulmate

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
I'll pm her ...

:thanks2

Thats something I really want to know!
Btw BF - I know fosters, but no kingfisher - oh wait: http://www.kingfisherlager.co.uk/

Soulmate

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »
Understanding the whole the whole thing now -that's rather sad, but as you say it's what some of the others implied about the fact that they never heard from him from one Sharpe to the next. Interesting that he feels he can say something at this point.  Maybe this is what Linda whatsername picked up on in her book when she was rather disparaging about Daragh's realtionship with Sean.

I must really read that book - I have heard so many critical and even more nasty bad remarks about it - but of course of a lot of pink-glasses-wearing people. Seems this Linda didnt faint because she saw Sean. Maybe she was unfair, maybe she was just detached? Have no clue as I havent read it yet. So if somebody has it, I would be most glad for exact title and author name - and an oppinion is most welcome as well.

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
I haven't read it -just extracts somewhere, but i know she likened Daragh to a puppy dog following Sean around loyally.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »
Oh great BJ - you really do know everything and everybody in the Sharpe World ! As I donīt know her - could you ask her if you see her?
Soulmate

P.S.: MF - youīll love him and his wicked humor too, soon!

I got the next answer from Mare. I will repost it here so you can all read it. With lots of thanks of course to Mare and wishing her lots of success with her site.

Thank you for your message.
I did take a look at the thread, and you may inform your readers that I have it on very good authority that it was, indeed, Mr. O'Malley who signed the guestbook, however, he was posting in character.

Taken in this context, it's just "Patrick's" way of being humorous, as it's hard to tell, in such a method (writing), things like voice inflection and facial expression. We all know that the same thing, said in different ways, can carry many meanings. He was just being funny, as Patrick is wont to do. He does have a biting sense of humor at times.

The reference to the "pubs" is also in character, as Mr. Harper, according to fictional accounts (which you may peruse on "The Life and Times of Patrick Harper" at MisterNock.com), returned home to his family in Dublin and opened two "public houses", selling ale, brown bread, and oysters; these pubs became very successful, 'til Patrick died a well-respected and much loved public figure.

Thank you for your interest, and please convey my best wishes to all the ladies (and gents, if any) on your forum.

Sincerely,
Mare

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 02:37:13 PM »

I must really read that book - I have heard so many critical and even more nasty bad remarks about it - but of course of a lot of pink-glasses-wearing people. Seems this Linda didnt faint because she saw Sean. Maybe she was unfair, maybe she was just detached? Have no clue as I havent read it yet. So if somebody has it, I would be most glad for exact title and author name - and an oppinion is most welcome as well.

The title is: Sharpe Cut and the author is Linda Blandford. I think it's still available on sites like Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »
I'm really starting to think that Sean Bean is one of those people that really isn't that nice, but for some reason people like them anyway and when asked, go on and on about what a great person they are.

Aside from a few people, like Gary Armstrong, he seems to treat others with a detachment that borders on disdain - even people that are, presumably, friends.  And it's starting to sound like Daragh isn't as willing to worship at his feet this time around; possible I suppose that Sean's behaviour has reached a point that people aren't willing to wear those blinders any longer. 

Or it could be that I'm just reading WAY too much into a couple of comments . . .  :chockies2:

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »
Playing devil's advocate here (and I don't know why) sometimes people are thrown together for a set of circumstances (filming, a holiday, a course) and get on well with each other at the time even though they may not have anything in common or be the sort of people they would befriend in real life. When things return to 'normal' there's no need to keep in touch. I know this seems a bit of a long shot considering this lot knew each other over a long period of time, but maybe Sean never promised to be their friends forever.

Or, maybe as Lighty said,  he's just not a very nice person ...

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
I think you could both be right. I have a lot of colleagues I get on really well with, but whom I never see privately, apart from the occasional work do. Doesn't mean I don't like them really or feel better than them or anything, they are just good colleagues. I'm sure it's the same thing in the film business.