News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 300853 times)

Mike

Sheffield United
« on: June 30, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »
Sheffield United related posts.

Soulmate

Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 05:02:01 AM »
Just stumpled about something when I wrote in the Worldcup thread and thought, it would fit in here, and itīs SUFC related.
(for footie newbies exclusive - lol)

Did you know why the Brits are singing "Football is comin' Home"? Because in a way they established it (I try to avoid the word "invented")
Games involving people kicking a ball about in some fashion have been around for a good couple of thousand years in various places including Greece and China. It's impossible to say where the idea really first came from but the modern game delevoped slowly from these, often violent, games. In medieval England entire villages used to play against each other, trying to force the ball into the "goal" - which was mostly the town gate. This sort of game is where we get the term "local derby" which comes from a couple of villages near Derby in England who used to play against each other and may still do so from time to time.
The first footie rules were written by Students in Cambridge in 1848, and the first official footballclub was built in 1857: FC Sheffield.
http://www.sheffieldfc.com/  (and not: itīs not the blades)
1863 the English Football Association was founded.

The next countries to form football associations after the Netherlands and Denmark in 1889 were New Zealand (1891), Argentina (1893), Chile (1895), Switzerland, Belgium (1895), Italy (1898), Germany, Uruguay (both in 1900), Hungary (1901) and Finland (1907). When FIFA was founded in Paris in May 1904 it had seven founder members: France, Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands, Spain (represented by the Madrid FC), Sweden and Switzerland. The German Football Federation cabled its intention to join on the same day.

Well - as every Sean Bean fan knows, the SUFC isnīt in the Premier League (http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league) anymore - but you can watch their way in the English League Championship here:
http://www.statto.com/football/teams/sheffield-united

Homepage SUFC: http://www.sufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10418,00.html
And if you like to discuss SUFC - hereīs a forum: http://www.sheff-utd.co.uk/forum/

Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 05:04:12 AM »
Will top it up later

Soulmate

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 05:16:22 AM »
Just read - due to the SUFC Homepage there will be a very exciting match on 8th of August - could bet, that some celeb footie fans will attend it if they have time :-)))))

England vs. Germany on Bramall Lane !  The teams will be built of football legends !

Funny comment (okay - maybe itīs only funny for a german lady like me :-)
"This is the only chance an England football team will get to put one over Germany this summer and we'll need every red-blooded English man and woman at Bramall Lane to cheer us on to victory,"
(said Reid)
"Having seen off Scotland at St. Mary's, I know the players are desperate to beat Germany on 7th August and confirm their status as Europe's top Legends nation."
(said Lester Holcombe)

The England and Germany line-ups will be announced in the lead-up to the game.

Tickets for The Legends: England v Germany are Ģ10 for adults (over 16) and Ģ5 for children/OAPs. They are available by visiting the Bramall Lane box office or by calling Sheffield United on 0871 222 1889.
Infos: http://www.sufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/SpecialEvents/0,,10418~1336500,00.html#continue

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:52:18 AM by Soulmate »

Mike

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 05:17:50 AM »
Have to buy a ticket. now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:57:31 AM by Mike »

Soulmate

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 05:21:37 AM »
Believe me - if I would have a cent left I would die to see that - itīs said all the old guys like Matthaeus & Co are playing. Damnit. Must win lottery. It will be a dream match.  :frustrate: :frustrate: :frustrate:

I so hope they will show it somewhere in our TV - I will throw a party !

Mike

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »
Believe me - if I would have a cent left I would die to see that - itīs said all the old guys like Matthaeus & Co are playing. Damnit. Must win lottery. It will be a dream match.  :frustrate: :frustrate: :frustrate:

I so hope they will show it somewhere in our TV - I will throw a party !

Maybe Premiere.

Myowyn

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
unfortunatlely I won't be there to see it, but on the 16th, I will go and see a blades match!

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
 :footie:

remember, my soccer team is also read and white, atletico de madrid, and before liverpool, fernando torres was  in atletico de madrid, I'm very happy for him, and also for luis aragonés, he also was an atletico de madrid's player

Soulmate

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »
Maybe Premiere.

Hope so - but just to be sure we should spoil BF a bit... she must be our online-reporter!!!

MW - hope they win when you are there :-))) (mumbling: miracle miracle miracle :-)

Myowyn

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
Yeah I also hope  that and well could be great if sean could be there too!

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »
how you gonna spoil me then SM and what do you want me to do?

Soulmate

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 06:05:58 AM »
1st: Sean with a red ribbon?
2nd: if no tv channels show it here, you must be our online reporter and tell us whatīs going on! For a footie fan this match with the great legends is a real dream!!! Bet your hubby will love it too!
So - get used to all the things you have to say, like "he didnt find his game yet" (whatever that may mean), learn which system they play (very modern is 4-3-2-1 -, some play 4-2-4 - to know that itīs necessary that you can count when they show the players on a map - nothing else), and donīt scream "GOAL" when it was an offside - cause thatīs causing unnecessary heart attacks ! Hint: I always wait until the players jump on each other and do things usually only gays do, before I start to scream - that avoids humilitation !
:-)))))
Soulmate

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »
You know I had no problem undersatnding the first sentence of your poist but the rest was like a jibberish!!
just give me a reminder when the match is on and i'll see what i can do -apart from actually go and watch it!

Soulmate

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »
I bet that you understood the first one.... lol
Whatīs wrong with actually going there watching it? What do you think - on a legend game like that, wonīt all real footie fans who possibly live in that town where it finds place or own a cottage there or have family where they can stay, go and sit there and watch it?

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »
well apart from anything i've just realised I'll be on a different continent by then!

Soulmate

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »
Oh s... ! I guess Paulie is the only Brit we have in here then?

Did you read that SUFC is building a hotel in Sheffield?
http://www.sufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Hotel/0,,10418,00.html

Pretty ugly if you ask me ....no character and charme at all!

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
let's hope it looks a bit better when it's finished.

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 03:42:10 PM »
90% of the hotels in sheffield look ugly

Soulmate

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »
who on earth is building faceless houses like that? Looks like a garage, but not like a hotel I would feel comfy in !