News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 300908 times)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »
That combined with a couple of very nice outcomes lately - I'm sure he's on a Blades high.

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2009, 02:05:03 PM »
so SUFC will return to Premier League?

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2009, 03:18:19 PM »
Only if they win promotion, galamb.  This is a monetary compensation.

They're currently 4th in the table and will (unless they complete fall apart now) at the very least be in the playoffs (top two slots win automatic promotion, while the teams in positions 3-6 play against each other to determine the third promotion place).  They are 6 points behind Birmingham, the team in the second slot . . . it's not beyond believability that they could push their way to that place.

But they're not going to get a freebie because of the Tevez affair!

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »
Real Madrid , I've read, wants tevez

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2009, 08:20:50 PM »
Madrid wants Tevez? Really?  He's been playing pretty mediocre football lately.

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »
it was said last december, real madrid wanted him, and I thought: atlético de madrid is red and white coulours, and when he'll play versus atlético maybe he remembers sufc

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »
Ten fascinating facts: Sheffield United
Sheffield United - Ten things you should know about the Blades
By Mark Shail  July 08, 2009

1. Sheffield United were formed in 1889 at the Adelphi Hotel, Sheffield (now the site of the Crucible Theatre), as a way of keeping the Sheffield United Cricket Club occupied during the winter close season.

2. United won the league title in 1898 and the FA Cup in 1899, 1902, 1915 and 1925.

3. Bramall Lane is widely regarded as the oldest ground anywhere in the world, first used in a game between Hallam and Sheffield Club in 1862.

4. The club’s darkest days were between 1975 and 1982, when they were relegated three times in six seasons.

5. There was an upturn in fortunes for the Blades in the late 1980s following the arrival of manager Dave Bassett. The club secured successive promotions in 1989 and 1990 and played in the first ever Premier League season in 1992 where Brian scored the first ever Premier League Goal for the Blades.

6. United have a range of songs sung by the fans, the most notable being their unofficial anthem ‘The Greasy Chip Butty’ song.

7. As well as neighbours Sheffield Wednesday, United fans also have a fierce rivalry with Nottingham Forest, attributed to the miners’ strike of the 1980s, when workers of the Nottingham pit refused to join the strike.

8. Actor Sean Bean, former Sports Minister Richard Caborn and Michael Palin are all keen supporters of the Blades.

9. Ex-Blades’ midfielder Alex Sabella was one of the first South American’s to play in the English Football League having arrived at Bramall Lane in the mid to late 1970’s.

10. Former United striker Brian Deane scored the first ever goal in the Premier League in a 1-1 draw against Liverpool.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2009, 04:04:44 PM »
Well - plog.

Just finished listening to the first match of the season (tried watching, but the live stream locked up).  Blades at Middlesborough.

A draw at nil-nil.

Better than a loss, but I have to agree with a statement Keith Edwards made toward the end . . . he was getting frustrated (doesn't take much for that; he's a lot like Sean I suspect).

Blackie had just pulled Brian Howard, who was delivering the same lackluster performance of late last season (not sure what his problem is) and replaced him with our new acquisition, Chad Evans, who hasn't had a lot of pre-season practice but is supposed to be our new golden boy.  So we had two strikers on the pitch - no score - and less than 20 minutes left in the match.

Does Blackie push Chad up to play AS a striker?  Nooo - he keeps him back in the midfield.

So, Keith says, "well, he could play him next to Henderson (the other striker) . . . if we wanted to score a goal . . ."

I know it's the first match - but sometimes Blackie's excess of caution makes me NUTS.

sigh.

UTB!

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »
I have no idea what you're talking about, because I know absolutely nothing about football, but we were up in Yorkshire when it happened so we saw some of it on the telly.

:mutley:

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2009, 05:11:12 PM »
Should I try explaining or leave you in blissful ignorance, BJ?  Whereabouts in Yorkshire were you?

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »
For Yorkshire read Nottinghamshire or any county going south.....  Bj obviously teaches English and not Geography............Giving a woman a map is like giving a chimpanzee a hand grenade. :dusty:

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »
Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire, ...... north anyway .... close enough ......:mutley:

Blissful ignorance, I think, Lighty!!

We were in Nottingham visiting Exbill and PLRanson, Lighty. Had a lovely two days!!!

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »
For Yorkshire read Nottinghamshire or any county going south..... 
Anything north of the the Thames is 'oop north' anyway XB.

At least if women don't know where they are, the have the sense to stop and ask. If Moses had stopped to ask the way, the Jews wouldn't have wandered in the desert for 40 years.

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2009, 09:55:21 AM »
At least if women don't know where they are, the have the sense to stop and ask. If Moses had stopped to ask the way, the Jews wouldn't have wandered in the desert for 40 years. :catlaff

Anything north of the the Thames is 'oop north' anyway XB

I thought it was anywhere north of the M25..your 3 lane car park.  :goodgrl2:

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2009, 10:32:04 AM »
yesterday, my soccer team, atlético de madrid, also red and white won liverpool in anfield, well, the spanishliverpool, lot of spanish there, even benítez, btw, I know abel, atético de madrid's trainer

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
Sorry to go back on a post but..... I am bored and feeling pedantic.

3. Bramall Lane is widely regarded as the oldest ground anywhere in the world, first used in a game between Hallam and Sheffield Club in 1862

Is that the oldest  exclusively football ground ?  The Notts County FC which was the first league club formed in 1862 originally played on the Trent Bridge Cricket ground which was opened in 1838 pre-dating Bramall lane by some  24 years.. In later years they bought their own ground within the City of Nottingham . The reason for Notts. County FC playing in the City of Nottingham and Nottingham Forest  FC playing in the County area of Nottingham has confused many locals for many years. But I will not bore you with the explanation.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2009, 12:46:23 PM »
 I think you answered your own question, XB.

You asked why the Lane is considered the oldest, when Notts County FC is an older team.  No one disputes that they are an older team (the first professional team - Sheffield FC gets the nod - I think - for oldest amateur team).

But by your own admission, Notts C. no longer uses the original grounds for play and Trent Bridge is still a cricket ground, right?  Unlike the Lane, which started as a cricket ground, became a football stadium and has remained a football stadium.

According to that criteria (which is, apparently, what is used to decide), the Lane is the oldest major football stadium still in use.

But Notts County is the oldest professional club.

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2009, 01:49:52 PM »
Alright Lighty..you have convinced me that I may have been slightly wrong. :damnit

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
Alright Lighty..you have convinced me that I may have been slightly wrong. :damnit

can we frame that line?