News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 301563 times)

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2009, 02:15:57 PM »
Bf I always admit it when I am wrong....It just does not happen very often.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2009, 02:30:36 PM »
Alright Lighty..you have convinced me that I may have been slightly wrong. :damnit

And in matters football, it takes a strong man to admit that (especially to a girl!)

You're a champ, XB! :thumbsup:

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »
Bf I always admit it when I am wrong....It just does not happen very often.

and there you went and spoiled it- i thought it was too good to be true!

Offline Xenia

• The Powder Room
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2009, 10:37:12 PM »
Sheffield United goalkeeper Paddy Kenny has been suspended from football for nine months by the Football Association following a failed drugs test.

The Irish international failed a drugs test following last season's play-off semi-final clash with Preston North End.

The 31-year-old tested positive for the prohibited substance Ephedrine and he was charged under FA Rule E25 in relation to Regulation 2 of The FA Doping Control Programme Regulations.

He was suspended upon confirmation of his initial test on July 22, and he will now not be allowed to participate in any football until April 22, 2010.

The FA Regulatory Commission confirmed that although Kenny had 'on the balance of probability' not intentionally taken the substance - which is believed to have come from a cough medicine - they could not overlook the offence.

"The Regulatory Commission considered carefully the evidence and the submissions from both parties. Whilst we found that the Player satisfied us on the balance of probabilities that the substance was not taken with the intention of enhancing sporting performance, his admitted conduct displayed significant fault," chairman Christopher Quinlan stated.

"A professional sportsman including a football player has a strict responsibility to ensure prohibited substances do not enter his/her body.

"In this instance Mr Kenny knowingly ingested an over-the-counter medicine above the prescribed dosage without reading the accompanying package or leaflet and without reference to his club's doctor or other medical staff.

"It is incumbent upon all professional footballers to understand the perils and dangers of so doing and to act in the way he did, contrary to the Doping Control Programme delivered by The FA and in any event what should be a matter of common sense for a professional sportsman, showed in our judgment a complete disregard for those responsibilities."
No comment  I've read this at Sky sport

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »
He is damned lucky - he could have easily gotten two years.  Nine months is recoverable, if he stays fit.

Lady Jane

« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »
Here are some thoughts from the Blades Board about this matter, kinda funny.
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=463&fid=221&sty=2&act=1&mid=2124648217

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »
Wow.  What a nasty forum (having browsed around it a bit).

I'll stick with the other one!

Offline Xenia

• The Powder Room
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2009, 02:40:53 AM »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »
Kevin Blackwell has left his job as Sheffield United manager by mutual consent, the club has announced.

The Blades were beaten 3-0 by QPR on Saturday, conceding three goals in the first 23 minutes as fans at Bramall Lane chanted, "Blackwell Out!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/8914869.stm

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2010, 04:03:34 PM »
To be expected.  We lost a friendly to a team that hardly qualifies as professional.  We lost the Carling Cup 1st round to Hartlepool.  Hartlepool??  REALLY???
We drew Cardiff by the skin of our teeth and today's match was awful.  QPR scored their three goals in the first 25 minutes of the match . . . they were all good goals, too.  It could be fairly argued that the referee was beyond bad - and I have to wonder at his objectivity after listening to the summariser talk about how he (the referee) high-fived a QPR player after a particularly good run of play.

Really?  The Referee high-fives a player during a match?  Gads.

That said, I think Kevin was on his way out before today's disaster.  There have been stories floating around that Kevin McCabe is looking for investors to take the majority share - he wants out of the business, I guess.  One story suggests that they have found an investor from Malta who will take 75%, but insists that Blackwell go.

Well, Blackwell has gone.  What will happen next remains to be seen.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2010, 08:53:27 AM »
Sheffield United have confirmed Gary Speed has been appointed their new manager on a three-year contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/8918047.stm

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »

If I read this right - this is his first managerial position.

Good Luck Gary !

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »
Yes, it is, Annie.  He did receive two offers earlier this year - from Swansea.  They wanted him a LOT.  He was still under contract with SU, though, and they refused to release him . . . which struck most people as very bizarre and got the rumour mill going full blast.

Turns out the suspicions were right and they had already decided that Kevin was going to go (probably barring some massive improvement in form, which of course the squad has not produced).

I sincerely wish Gary the best and hope he does very well - a lot of supporters are very annoyed by the choice - they wanted Phil Brown (just let go from Hull) or Sean O'Driscoll (currently gaffer at Doncaster) . . . hell, I suspect some of them wanted McCabe to go out and entice Wenger or Ferguson . . .

(I despise that sort of instant negativity - give the man a chance before slagging him off!  Geeze.)

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2010, 10:38:29 AM »

The problem is that, whatever sport it is, you always think your club deasrves the best.  It's difficult to remember sometimes that not everyone wants to come to your part of the country and that some managers/coaches/players just wnat more than yoru club's finances can possibly stretch to.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a couple of wins  - that might just make the 'glass half empty' people think that this isn't such a  bad choice after all. 

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »

The problem is that, whatever sport it is, you always think your club deasrves the best.  It's difficult to remember sometimes that not everyone wants to come to your part of the country and that some managers/coaches/players just wnat more than yoru club's finances can possibly stretch to.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a couple of wins  - that might just make the 'glass half empty' people think that this isn't such a  bad choice after all. 

I understand that fans want the best - but armchair critics are annoying.  Do managers make bad decisions?  Of course they do - but constantly using them as the team whipping boy is counter-productive.

Gary will be praised if he leads them to a couple of wins . . . until he has a loss.  Then it will start up again.  Some of the critics will never accept him; they're easy to ignore as they do nothing - absolutely nothing - but complain.  If they can't criticise his management, they'll criticise his demeanor or his suit or the color of his tie.  Worthless gits.

Blades fans love to complain.  A bunch of Eeyores.

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
Its not just a Blades thing Lighty . It runs the length and breadth of the UK. Even St. Brian Clough came in for his fair share .

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »
Its not just a Blades thing Lighty . It runs the length and breadth of the UK. Even St. Brian Clough came in for his fair share .

I'm sure you're right, XB - and damned if that's not depressing!  Is it my imagination or does it seem to get worse the higher in the table (and division) a club climbs?

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:51 AM »
You're spot on there Lighty.

There are ManU and Arsenal fans who have never  been (and probably will never go )  to see their teams live but it doesn't stop them.  Radio 5's  Saturday evening 606 show has them phoning in and whinging about the most petty of things on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:34:12 AM by Annie »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
I honestly don't get it.  I'm frequently unhappy with the Blades' performance - and I've been known to mutter and grumble with the best (or worst) of them in the immediate aftermath of a loss . . . but that doesn't last and I pop back to support and a certain amount of rosy-glasses optimism before the day is over.

LOOKING for things to complain about is incomprehensible to me.

That isn't what I consider 'support' for a club.