News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 301677 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2010, 09:25:14 AM »
Gary Speed's first game as Sheffield United manager ended in defeat as promotion favourites Middlesbrough claimed their first win of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/8919057.stm

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »
Gary Speed's first game as Sheffield United manager ended in defeat as promotion favourites Middlesbrough claimed their first win of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/8919057.stm

To quote Keith Edwards (and probably SB, too) - 'It were poor'.

It was.  Speed played 4-5-1 and half of them were playing out of position (same thing Blackie did, although he could argue last season that it was injuries that forced it).  Our lone striker was slower than molasses and the rest of them were playing like they faced execution if they made a mistake.  The gaffer waited until the last 25 minutes before he made any substantive substitutions - and instead of pushing two up front and going for a goal (since we were one down) he kept the original formation and played safe.

I do not understand why we don't play 4-4-2.  We play better with two up front.  I don't understand why we don't play players in their strength positions . . . I guess that's why I'm not a manager!

That said - it could have been worse and the goal that beat us was made off a pure and simple mistake.  Mistakes happen sometimes.  Boro didn't play well at all the first half and created very few chances.  They got lucky.

Gary has a lot of work ahead of him and I hope he thinks about reevaluating his best use of his squad, but it's still early days yet.

UP THE BLADES!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
Sheff Utd   1 - 0   Preston
Gary Speed was given his first win as Sheffield United boss as a goal from Jean Calve saw his side beat Preston at Bramall Lane.

Right-back, Calve, on loan from Nancy, was making his Blades debut and marked it with a spectacular 35-yard strike

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/8941327.stm

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
Definite improvement - since it was a win!  The new signee, Calve, planted the ball from almost 35 yards out.  A defender, his first match with the squad . . . it was funny to listen to, because the commentator cheered the goal, then chuckled about the big celebration Calve was giving - then commented that Calve had hurt himself whilst celebrating!

Turns out that he developed a cramp immediately after making the shot . . . so he wasn't really celebrating, I guess.  Just twitching in pain!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2010, 08:20:17 AM »
Doncaster Rovers v Sheffield United

17:00–19:25 Match of the Day Live
2010/2011, Doncaster Rovers v Sheffield United
Live coverage of the Yorkshire derby in the Championship, presented by Colin Murray

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/schedules/england/today

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »
Sheffield United chairman Kevin McCabe has announced he will step down from his role at Bramall Lane next month.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/9227626.stm

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »
So, is that a good thing?

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2010, 03:32:07 AM »
I  honestly wouldn't know myself but I'm sure it will be heavily discussed among SUFC supporters.

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
It would seem that he doesn't intend to pull out moneywise so it shouldn't make any difference.  IF he did decide to go down that route, it would possibly lead to foreign owners and all the hooha that surrounds such things.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2010, 06:27:03 PM »
This has been mooted for awhile - I think he's just more interested in scaling back his involvement as Chairman.  Whether or not it's a good thing depends on how much a supporter blames the Chairman for failures on the pitch.

He's been getting a lot of guff because he wasn't willing to pour millions into buying new players - but his frugality is one of the reasons that SUFC, while in debt (like all clubs), has not been in the kind of trouble so many other clubs are currently in . . . he doesn't rob Peter to pay Paul.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2010, 11:40:37 AM »
Micky Adams confirmed as Sheffield United manager.

Micky Adams has left Port Vale to take over as manager at Sheffield United.

The much-travelled ex-Fulham, Brighton and Leicester boss, 49, has agreed a two-and-a-half year deal to become Gary Speed's successor at Bramall Lane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/9327422.stm

Blades foundation remains rock solid.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/blades_foundation_remains_rock_solid_1_2891310

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2011, 02:27:56 AM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2011, 09:08:35 AM »
ARE The Blades going to be able to get out of the bottom three? Join the debate - VIDEO

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/are_the_blades_going_to_be_able_to_get_out_of_the_bottom_three_join_the_debate_video_1_3046065

The only debate that matters is the one that takes place on the pitch.  I hope they'll pull it out - they have time to do it - but it won't change my feelings about them if they don't.
*listening to the Ipswich/Blades match as I type.  Hope remains!  UPB! *

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »
Not looking good today 2-0 down after HT.

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »
Looked even worse at FT  :goodgrl2:

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »
Yep and Crystal Palace won so depressing all round.  :backout

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
It was disappointing - particularly the two sendings off in the 89th minute.  Kozluk is still too much of a hothead; hasn't changed a whit since the last time he played for us - and somebody needs to stuff a sock in Williamson's mouth.  I agree with Keith Edwards; it was immature behaviour on both their parts.  Now we've lost them for at least the next match . . .

sigh.

Sean was, presumably, there (according to a tweet) - hope he took the train, because he'll be in no condition to drive after drowning his sorrows from this match.

I just don't get it.  They played really, really well Tuesday and had I don't know how many shots on goal - couldn't get one in the box.  They weren't playing badly today until the last 15 minutes - and still were denied a goal.  Simonson is definitely having trouble - I would have thought saving the penalty would give him confidence, but he just can't seem to keep the ball out of the box.

sigh.  again.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
We are 1 up with less than 6 minutes (normal time) to go.  Keep your fingers crossed . . .

Blo&*^ F&*^%$ HELL.  An equaliser.

ARGGGGGH.  Now they're struggling to keep from losing.

ARGGGGGGGHHHHH.

Should be about over, if the freaking official will just call time . . .

1-1.

damn.  Better than a loss - but damn.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:53:03 AM by lighty »

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
We are 1 up with less than 6 minutes (normal time) to go.  Keep your fingers crossed . . .

Blo&*^ F&*^%$ HELL.  An equaliser.

ARGGGGGH.  Now they're struggling to keep from losing.

ARGGGGGGGHHHHH.

Should be about over, if the freaking official will just call time . . .

1-1.

damn.  Better than a loss - but damn.

This is EXACTLY my feelings over the past 15 minutes. ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »
Sigh. :damnit