News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 300844 times)

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
 :mutley:

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
Right - have stopped swearing now.

So - we're going down now for certain aren't we?  Two games left - 6 points behind - we'd go down on GD even if we won both games and CP or Doncaster lost both.  That's how it works isn't it?

OK - unless Doncaster or CP lose both by an enormous margin and we win ours by a large margin.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:44:17 AM by Jess »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2011, 11:14:10 AM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »
Right - have stopped swearing now.

So - we're going down now for certain aren't we?  Two games left - 6 points behind - we'd go down on GD even if we won both games and CP or Doncaster lost both.  That's how it works isn't it?

OK - unless Doncaster or CP lose both by an enormous margin and we win ours by a large margin.

Yeah, we're down.  When you have to depend on what another club (or clubs) do to save yourself, you're doomed.  And our final schedule is not easy-breezey, either.

Best to start thinking ahead to a bounce out of Division 1 . . . assuming the Blades pull themselves together sufficiently next season.  If not, then they'll be where they deserve to be.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2011, 02:13:12 PM »
Best to start thinking ahead to a bounce out of Division 1 . . . assuming the Blades pull themselves together sufficiently next season.  If not, then they'll be where they deserve to be.

Yes, you're right. They've been terrible this season.  I do feel sorry for Sean as he must be gutted, but I suppose these are the highs and lows of following any team that passionately.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »

Yes, you're right. They've been terrible this season.  I do feel sorry for Sean as he must be gutted, but I suppose these are the highs and lows of following any team that passionately.

I suspect so, but since he's been following them they've been all over the map, division-wise - including a drop that took them from the old Division 1 (what is now the PL) to the old Division 4 (what is now Division 3) in a span of four years.  They bounced out of the fourth division in a year, but then bounced between Divisions 2 and 3 (today's Championship and Div. 1) for another eight years before they made it back to the top.

He'll survive, as you said and he may be spending more time with his local club anyway - I bet they let him between the sticks for off-season five a side matches . . .

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
Sheffield Utd   2 - 2   Barnsley
Sheffield United are relegated to League One after only managing a draw against Barnsley at Bramall Lane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13174211.stm

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »
Well, I think pretty much everybody was resigned to it by now.  At one point earlier, they were 2-1 up and CP were 1-0 down and I was thinking that their only hope would be if they went on a crazy scoring spree but that's never looked likely the whole season.

They weren't robbed or anything - they just haven't been very good this season.

Oh well, onwards, and hopefully, upwards!

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2011, 12:55:11 PM »

Oh such a shame ........ btw Nottingham Forest beat Scunthorpe  5 - 1 this afternoon .  :thumbsup:        :backout

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »

Oh such a shame ........ btw Nottingham Forest beat Scunthorpe  5 - 1 this afternoon .  :thumbsup:        :backout

Now to the playoffs!  Good luck, XB!!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #210 on: May 07, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »
sheffield united relegated to the 3rd tier of english football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6HpwUKlIng

Mike

« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2011, 02:54:21 AM »
Black day for Sean. Think he will wear mourning for the next year. Poor Baby.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »
Awww... poor baby.  Let me comfort him.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
You'd think he'd be used to it by now .....  :backout

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »
You'd think he'd be used to it by now .....  :backout

One would think.  Hell, I haven't had nearly the years of support and I'm used to it.  :damnit

I will admit that this is the first time in a very long time they've dropped below the 2nd tier and that stings a bit more.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #215 on: May 10, 2011, 07:59:19 AM »
Blades: Lane chief ready to pump in extra cash.

SHEFFIELD United will take steps to ensure they are no longer reliant on loan players to strengthen their squad, plc chairman Kevin McCabe confirmed last night, after admitting that instability behind the scenes contributed to the club’s relegation from the Championship.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/blades_lane_chief_ready_to_pump_in_extra_cash_1_3364663

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #216 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »
Blades: Lane chief ready to pump in extra cash.

SHEFFIELD United will take steps to ensure they are no longer reliant on loan players to strengthen their squad, plc chairman Kevin McCabe confirmed last night, after admitting that instability behind the scenes contributed to the club’s relegation from the Championship.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/blades_lane_chief_ready_to_pump_in_extra_cash_1_3364663

I'm gobsmacked.

From what his son (who is CEO? CFO? of the club PLC) said in the Club statement last week, I'd have bet dollars to doughnuts that they wouldn't be putting an extra penny into the club.  Kevin McCabe really is a Blade, though, so he might have just told his kids that it's his damned money and he'll do with it what he damn well pleases.

Maybe we can hold onto some of our senior players.  Maybe we can get a decent senior player in who isn't a loanee or given a "I wanna take my ball and go home" clause.

Maybe a teeny, tiny, minuscule, pinpoint of light?

Thanks for the link, patch!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:15:18 AM by lighty »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #217 on: May 10, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »
Sheffield United sack manager Micky Adams

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13354375.stm

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »
Sheffield United sack manager Micky Adams

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13354375.stm

Right.  After McCabe complains of four managers in a year, he sacks the fourth one.  Hope he's got a miracle up his well-tailored sleeve  . . .

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #219 on: May 10, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »
He's probably thinking 'We've hit rock bottom, there's nothing much to lose from starting from scratch.'