News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 300843 times)

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #300 on: December 31, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! You mean they are getting promoted? 

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #301 on: December 31, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! You mean they are getting promoted?  

Not yet. *chuckle*

The match today means they slid into second in the table (behind Charlton, who are pretty safe in first).  First and second spots are automatic promotion spots - third spot is battled out by the teams who end up in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th position.

No guarantee that the Blades will hold second, but it's a MUCH nicer place to be than the position they were in last December!

Here's a link to the table, in case you're interested:

http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10418,00.html

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #302 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:07 AM »
Carlisle   3 - 2   Sheffield Utd

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16331320.stm

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #304 on: January 07, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »
Sheffield Utd   3 - 1   Salisbury

FA Cup third round

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16371906.stm

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #305 on: January 07, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »
Sheffield Utd   3 - 1   Salisbury

FA Cup third round

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16371906.stm

Not the most exciting match - I don't really think the lads were that into it.  Without seeing the goal Salisbury scored, I can't say for sure, but I almost think Simonsen just let it by so they didn't go home entirely empty handed.  I always feel for these little clubs.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #307 on: January 10, 2012, 03:42:49 PM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #308 on: January 10, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »
Fun match - not a huge challenge, but fun . . . ;)  I wish the gaffer had given Beattie more of a run-out - the lad wants to prove himself so much (and I do have a soft spot for him).

4-0 is good; brings our GD to 22.  Still only one point separates Wednesday from us, though - and only three points from Huddersfield, who have 28 on GD.

We need to beat Bury on Saturday - that's all there is to it.  It would be nice if Wednesday and Huddersfield lost their matches, but we simply have to win. 

'Cuz I said so!  :mutley:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #309 on: January 14, 2012, 11:28:30 AM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #310 on: January 14, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
Good match, though a bit lackadaisical in the first half.  Cressy, Evans, and Williams scored again - and again, the gaffer waited until the last few minutes of the match to bring on Beattie.  I know he doesn't like to shift around a winning combination, but I think he could have safely put Beattie on for more than three minutes!

We're in okay shape at this point, as long as we keep winning.  Wednesday lost to Charlton, but Huddersfield drew Oldham, so we now have Huddersfield breathing heavy on our heels instead of the Owls.

Next match is Charlton - send your winning thoughts to the Blades!!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #311 on: January 21, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »
Charlton   1 - 0   Sheffield Utd

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16559604.stm

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #312 on: January 21, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »
Sigh.

Can't say I was positive we'd win this one - or even draw - but I was perhaps a bit too hopeful.

Good match, overall, and we didn't squander chances.  A few mistakes - including an incredibly stupid move from James Beattie that got him shown red (arguing.  Really?  Arguing?  What is it with that nonsense?  He's in contract talks - as a free agent; why in the name of all that is holy would he do something stupid like that???)

Anyway.  We hit the woodwork so many times that it should need repair, but couldn't get it in the back of the net.  Their keeper sounds pretty weak, actually - but they have a defender who sounds like he could play keeper himself.  He deflected about half the chances we had - always in the right place (which is more than could be said for the keeper himself, I think).

Table wise, this puts us in a precarious position.  Most of the league still has a game in hand, so we're in double trouble if we don't win solidly next match.  Still in second, but by a slender two points - and Huddersfield in third has two more on GD than we do.  ack.

We'll move on to next week!
UTB!

TayaTheWolf

« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »
I was at the Wednesday/Hartlepool match at the weekend with my friend who is a massive pools fan. I think I was cheering louder when Sweeney got the equaliser. Just wish they had been able to score a third lol

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #314 on: January 25, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »
I was at the Wednesday/Hartlepool match at the weekend with my friend who is a massive pools fan. I think I was cheering louder when Sweeney got the equaliser. Just wish they had been able to score a third lol

Ah well - at least they kept the Owls GD down!

TayaTheWolf

« Reply #315 on: January 25, 2012, 02:49:14 PM »
Yeah though if at the end of the season the table is like it is now we could have an interesting play-off match

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #316 on: January 25, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »
Yeah though if at the end of the season the table is like it is now we could have an interesting play-off match

Honestly - I'm not interested in a play-off match.  This season I want straight promotion!  I am willing to allow  :evillaugh Wednesday to win a promotion spot in a play-off match, as long as we are going up.  Derby's are fun.

TayaTheWolf

« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2012, 04:15:01 AM »
They are indeed.  :evillaugh Especially when they give you an early kick off so people can't drink too much before the match hehe. Like that stops anyone :mutley:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »
Sheffield United have extended striker James Beattie's contract until the end of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16745492.stm

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
Sheffield United have extended striker James Beattie's contract until the end of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16745492.stm

Good.  I was afraid that his (very) silly outburst that resulted in ejection would throw a major wrench into the gears.  He'd best settle down, now.