News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 300835 times)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #320 on: January 28, 2012, 09:43:52 AM »
Well, if he's at the match, I suspect Sean might be moving toward the beer queue for the half . . . we're two down at 40 minutes and just not doing too well.
It's not over by a long shot, of course, but I think we're proving that we're not quite ready for the premier league.

Still hope springs eternal - it's only two . . .

And 60 minutes into the match, we're down another one.  Sean may be headed BACK to the bar . . .

Honestly, I didn't expect to win, but I'd rather not go down in flames.  ouch.

*Frantically stamping out the flames . . .*

4-0 Birmingham.  Our FA Cup season is over. :(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:54:29 AM by lighty »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #321 on: January 28, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »
Sheffield Utd   0 - 4   Birmingham

FA Cup fourth round

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16664303.stm

TayaTheWolf

« Reply #322 on: January 28, 2012, 11:16:35 AM »
First home defeat in nine games :(

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #323 on: January 28, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
First home defeat in nine games :(

Yeah - if it weren't for the early hour here (I'm in the US - Pacific Time), I would be headed for a consolation pint myself. :(

Oh, well - at least Tranmere held Huddersfield to a draw in the league.

TayaTheWolf

« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2012, 12:23:24 PM »
I'm having my consolation pint at home (home brew hehe) but also celebrating that Liverpool beat Man U hehe

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #325 on: January 28, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »
I'm having my consolation pint at home (home brew hehe) but also celebrating that Liverpool beat Man U hehe
Yes, I rather enjoyed seeing that score this morning!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2012, 12:01:17 AM »
Saturday's game between Colchester and Sheffield United in League One has been postponed because of a frozen pitch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-united

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2012, 08:57:49 AM »
Didn't know it ever got that cold up in Sheffield.  Is this a first?  We have 16 inches of snow here in Boulder but it is 28 degrees F.  So they had to close down some roads to knock icicles off the bridges as they were big and falling on the cars below causing accidents.  That was a first here.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
Didn't know it ever got that cold up in Sheffield.  Is this a first?  We have 16 inches of snow here in Boulder but it is 28 degrees F.  So they had to close down some roads to knock icicles off the bridges as they were big and falling on the cars below causing accidents.  That was a first here.

They were due to play in Colchester (in Essex).  Apparently, because of the way the stadium is built, there is an area of the pitch that is in shadow most of the day.  That, combined with the cold and damp, apparently left a strip of the ground frozen.  When the match official (whose job it is to make these determinations) visited the grounds, he decided that issue - combined with the weather report, which called for more cold and damp on Friday night and Saturday - made the pitch too dangerous for the players.

It does get cold oop nort, though!

I remember when my family moved to Denver, in 1973.  It was the first "100 year" blizzard they had called in - well - a hundred years.  Then there was another one in 1983 or 4 - and another one in the 1990s, as I recall.  I think "100 year" blizzard is getting slightly over-used!

I tend to go with the time honored Colorado response - "it's Colorado.  It snows."  On the other hand, I don't live there anymore, so you have my sympathies!

TayaTheWolf

« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »
An awful lot of football games got cancelled today. I got to the match I was supposed to be photographing today and got told it was off. Made my day sad lol

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #330 on: February 04, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »
Yes it snows in Colorado but I love it.  I put in a Sean Bean video and do some hand sewing.  It is warm and cozy inside and if I put on the right video (say Lady Chatterley's Lover) I get warm and cozy inside too.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #331 on: February 04, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
Yes it snows in Colorado but I love it.  I put in a Sean Bean video and do some hand sewing.  It is warm and cozy inside and if I put on the right video (say Lady Chatterley's Lover) I get warm and cozy inside too.

I'll bet . . .  :pant:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »
Good match - a bit lopsided (Blades dominated even before they started scoring) - but lopsided in the direction I prefer!

TayaTheWolf

« Reply #334 on: February 11, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »
And Wednesday lost as well :)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #335 on: February 11, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #336 on: February 14, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »
Caught the last half of this one, so missed the goal . . . but it was an edge of the seat performance.

And we've broken the "but they haven't beaten a 'big' club" meme.

And we're back in an automatic promotion slot.

And Wednesday lost again!

Woot!!

UTB!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #338 on: February 18, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #339 on: February 18, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »
Good match, again.  Sounded rough and tumble, but it also sounded like we're playing really solid football!  Not happy that McDonald went out with an injury - hopefully it was a strain and not a hamstring tear or other, equally bad, thing.

I was sorry Beattie didn't score, but glad that his cross to Evans was the one that gave us the win; I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights. 

And Wednesday lost again, and we still have two matches in hand over them, so we're 5 points clear of them with acres of space to increase the lead - 6 points behind Charlton - and our GD is only five points off Charlton.

A good place to be for mid-February, all told.

I am cautiously optimistic!

Up the Blades!