News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 300905 times)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #380 on: April 07, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
Blind ref this match - and the assistants weren't much better . . . but we won anyway!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #381 on: April 10, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #382 on: April 10, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
Rochdale 2-5 Sheff Utd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17594158

Damn.  Missed this one - and it looks like it was brilliant!  argh.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #383 on: April 10, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
Rochdale 2-5 Sheff Utd

The Sufc Goals

http://yfrog.com/4j7jsz
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:49:21 PM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #384 on: April 14, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #385 on: April 14, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
And Wednesday drew - so we're four points clear at second.  I suspect there are some unhappy Owls today.

Up the BLADES!

versusterminus

« Reply #386 on: April 15, 2012, 01:53:35 AM »
http://tvnz.co.nz/football-news/italian-footballer-piermario-morosini-dies-4833628

All italian football canceled during the weekend. :(
Couldve so easily have been Fabrice Muamba.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2012, 09:54:53 AM »
Oh, so very sad. 

Peace to this young man's family and friends.

I know footballers have to pass regular fitness tests, but something is apparently lacking.  There isn't any evidence that they are using substances that could damage their hearts (I don't think) and while I realize that some people have heart conditions from birth that should probably preclude their participation in sport, shouldn't they catch that at some point of a fitness test?

Statistically, 1 death per year is pretty high, isn't it?

versusterminus

« Reply #388 on: April 15, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »

I was enquiring as to the same, just yesterday. They most be most rigorously tested sportsmen out there considering the pay they make, yet this keeps happening.

Statistically, yes, that would be considered very high. I know these sudden deaths connected to sports were problematized
here a few years ago when young boys suddenly just collapsed on the pitch. Everywhere from 8-18, since then, not much
has happened until Muamba and now Morosini. There's a few collapses each year but I dont remember many of them being
directly related to any substantial heart conditions or similar issues.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #389 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »

I was enquiring as to the same, just yesterday. They most be most rigorously tested sportsmen out there considering the pay they make, yet this keeps happening.

Statistically, yes, that would be considered very high. I know these sudden deaths connected to sports were problematized
here a few years ago when young boys suddenly just collapsed on the pitch. Everywhere from 8-18, since then, not much
has happened until Muamba and now Morosini. There's a few collapses each year but I dont remember many of them being
directly related to any substantial heart conditions or similar issues.

Found a list and it's actually a little higher than one per year.  I know SCA is not something that can be diagnosed - until it happens - but it's still very strange and very sad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_footballers_who_died_while_playing

versusterminus

« Reply #390 on: April 15, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »

Guess its not enough to warrant any scientific studies, though I must admit my curiosity gets the better of me.
There must be some sort of connection here. You rarely hear other famous athletes face the same horrors. You rarely hear of skiers collapsing in the tracks or hockey players on the ice (though it does happen a lot, they usually have a very different cause).

Sure, cognitive heart conditions are common enough, more common than people usually think, but can there really be said to be a common cause there? I'd love to know. Someone ought to study it.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #391 on: April 15, 2012, 01:18:50 PM »

Guess its not enough to warrant any scientific studies, though I must admit my curiosity gets the better of me.
There must be some sort of connection here. You rarely hear other famous athletes face the same horrors. You rarely hear of skiers collapsing in the tracks or hockey players on the ice (though it does happen a lot, they usually have a very different cause).

Sure, cognitive heart conditions are common enough, more common than people usually think, but can there really be said to be a common cause there? I'd love to know. Someone ought to study it.

I agree.  A quick search suggests they've done some study in general, but nothing particular to football.  Might be time to do that.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #392 on: April 20, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »
Footballer rape trial: Ched Evans jailed five years, Clayton McDonald cleared

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17781842

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
WHAT THE HELL?

They convict one and acquit the other??  They both admit to having sex with the girl.  If the charge is rape because she was too 'incapacitated to consent' then they should both have been convicted.

good grief.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #394 on: April 20, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »

statement from Evan’s lawyer, released via Sheffield United’s website, said: “Ched Evans is shocked and extremely disappointed with the decision reached today by the jury at Caernarfon Crown Court to convict him of the charge brought against him.

“Mr Evans firmly maintains his innocence in this matter and is being advised regarding an appeal of the decision.”

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/guilty-rapist-ched-evans-has-thrown-away-his-career-says-judge-1-4470156

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #395 on: April 20, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »

statement from Evan’s lawyer, released via Sheffield United’s website, said: “Ched Evans is shocked and extremely disappointed with the decision reached today by the jury at Caernarfon Crown Court to convict him of the charge brought against him.

“Mr Evans firmly maintains his innocence in this matter and is being advised regarding an appeal of the decision.”

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/guilty-rapist-ched-evans-has-thrown-away-his-career-says-judge-1-4470156

He's an idiot and deserves what he got - for stupidity alone.  Problem is, since the charge was that she was incapable of consent due to extreme inebriation - and since there is CCTV footage of her stumbling around BEFORE she got to the hotel room with McDonald - why did they conclude that she 'consented' to have sex with McDonald but was incapable of consenting to have sex with Evans?
The girl is an idiot, too - hopefully she'll learn something from this - but I doubt it.  Any teenager who can drink as much as she admits to drinking and claim that she regularly drank that amount has serious problems that have nothing to do with waking up naked in a strange bed.  Unfortunately, this verdict will cement her belief that the drinking was not part of the problem - and it was.

I don't excuse either of these young men (or the third who apparently tried to take pictures through the window), but damn, girl.  Pull your head out of your arse and stop looking for excuses.  Nobody 'spiked' your drink - you drank enough to down a rhino.  If you didn't have problems with that quantity in the past, it's probably because you managed to make it home before you passed out.

Damn shame about Ched.  Stupid is as stupid does, though.

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #396 on: April 20, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
This whole episode is shame.  I do not condone forced sex in anyway, but I also do not condone getting drunk and using that as an excuse for behavior.  Why one and not the other is a good question.  I am sorry for all involved.

versusterminus

« Reply #397 on: April 21, 2012, 01:27:20 AM »
So, anyone watching El Clasico tonight?

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #398 on: April 21, 2012, 03:24:25 AM »
United must now look to finish the job of securing promotion back to the Championship without their star striker.
Manager Wilson will be keen not to let the events of yesterday affect his team’s momentum as they look for the result which could see them go up today.
Today, if the Blades beat MK Dons and Wednesday lose to Carlisle, the club will have secured promotion and manager Wilson will be a hero. To make things even sweeter for the Blades, they will also deny their arch-rivals automatic promotion by nailing second spot in the League One table.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/blades-must-close-out-promotion-without-jailed-evans-1-4470833

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #399 on: April 21, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »
So, anyone watching El Clasico tonight?

Sorry, versusterminus - I was busy busy last night!  What was the result?

United must now look to finish the job of securing promotion back to the Championship without their star striker.
Manager Wilson will be keen not to let the events of yesterday affect his team’s momentum as they look for the result which could see them go up today.
Today, if the Blades beat MK Dons and Wednesday lose to Carlisle, the club will have secured promotion and manager Wilson will be a hero. To make things even sweeter for the Blades, they will also deny their arch-rivals automatic promotion by nailing second spot in the League One table.
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/blades-must-close-out-promotion-without-jailed-evans-1-4470833

Danny was asked in interview "how will you feel if you secure the spot today?"  He said, "ask me after the match". 

I love his consistency - he simply refuses to speculate.  And it's a horrible blow today teamwise - losing Evans and Cresswell is not fit (shoulder) today.