News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 301699 times)

versusterminus

Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #440 on: May 27, 2012, 10:58:08 AM »
Wait...if two teams manage to hold each other off, doesn't that mean that they are well-matched?  I thought that it was all about playing not just to make goals, but to make sure that the other team doesn't make goals.  If neither are making goals, doesn't that mean that they are both doing their jobs well? Playoffs are supposed to be all about the best teams getting matched up against each other.  Or have things changed and I didn't get the memo?

All matches are important, granted, some more than others (such as this one) but by that logic, all matches are suppose to be equal and not about scoring. Football is ALL about scoring. The game is based on it. You get the beautiful play because you need the technical skill to score. Not saying that matches are boring because there arent any goals, matches can still be riveting. However of what I saw in last nights game, it was anything but. Missed passes, dull playing, nasty attacks (yes, I know that is always the case) and in general not very interesting play by either teams.

As for the penalty shoot-out, I have personally never seen anything like it, despite having following european leagues and all imaginable championships since a young age. I hate penalties because it is so unfair. It doesnt assess skill so much as bloody luck. Problem is though, having played 90 minutes, added 30 minutes to that, youre gonna need a new team if you want to settle it in any other way.

Totally unfair lose in the end and I can imagine if I was Sean, things would have been broken, screams wouldve been heard and stuff been thrown. Its one hell of a passion after all.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #441 on: May 28, 2012, 01:19:45 AM »
Report by a Blade on his day out at the play-off final

Wembley Strife and £4 Pints.http://originalblogname.tumblr.com/post/23858611457/wembley-strife-and-4-pints

So I guess what i’m trying to explain, is that the disappointment I experienced yesterday, as much as it hurts, is simply another day in a lifetime of supporting Sheffield United. Yes, there will be more days like this, of that i’m sure. But there will be better days, too. So when I joke “if we get to another Final at Wembley, I’m not going”, I definitely will, I’ve got to. And I’ll pay £4 a pint, as well!

Sheffield United Tour of Canada and USA 1962
http://footysphere.com/post/202580946/sheffield-united-tour-canada-usa-1962

http://footysphere.com/tagged/sheffield_united

http://www.footballphilately.com/2010/05/sheffield-united-philatelic-journey.html

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #442 on: May 28, 2012, 01:40:50 AM »
Report by a Blade on his day out at the play-off final

Wembley Strife and £4 Pints.http://originalblogname.tumblr.com/post/23858611457/wembley-strife-and-4-pints

So I guess what i’m trying to explain, is that the disappointment I experienced yesterday, as much as it hurts, is simply another day in a lifetime of supporting Sheffield United. Yes, there will be more days like this, of that i’m sure. But there will be better days, too. So when I joke “if we get to another Final at Wembley, I’m not going”, I definitely will, I’ve got to. And I’ll pay £4 a pint, as well!

Sheffield United Tour of Canada and USA 1962
http://footysphere.com/post/202580946/sheffield-united-tour-canada-usa-1962

http://footysphere.com/tagged/sheffield_united

http://www.footballphilately.com/2010/05/sheffield-united-philatelic-journey.html

That's exactly right.

versusterminus

« Reply #443 on: May 28, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
4£ a pint? Bloody cheap.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #445 on: May 29, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
 :mutley:  Oh how the mighty have fallen without Sean's director support.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #446 on: May 30, 2012, 07:12:09 AM »

Ched Evans among 11 players released by Sheffield United

The Welshman is among 11 players to leave following the Blades failure to gain promotion from League One.

James Beattie, Andy Taylor, Johnny Ertl, Steve Simonsen, Jack Adams, Connor Brown, Seamus Conneely, Corey Gregory, Shane Murray and Marc Warren are all free to find other clubs.

Simonsen announced yesterday that he was not being offered a new contract.

New deals have been offered to striker Chris Porter and midfielders Lee Williamson and Kevin McDonald.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18264057

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #447 on: May 30, 2012, 07:35:25 AM »
So they are going to seriously rebuild this team.  That might be good if it were at all possible to get some better players.  Perhaps they should also look at coaching and management.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #448 on: May 30, 2012, 01:17:15 PM »
So they are going to seriously rebuild this team.  That might be good if it were at all possible to get some better players.  Perhaps they should also look at coaching and management.

I think Wilson did a good job with them this year - he brought a much needed element of calm control into what has been several years of chaos.  He can be faulted for relying too much on Evans - but who wouldn't tend to rely on a striker who was well on his way to being top scorer in not just this league but all of them (until he went to jail . . .)?  I don't think he should be faulted for failing to use his players well when there was something to get out of them.  Quinn has improved a lot under Wilson and while he took a chance pulling in McGuire from the academy, it proved a wise decision.  Porter was also a risk that has proven well - Beattie was a nostalgic choice, I think, and possibly one that came from McCabe.

Simonsen has always been a risk and not a particularly wise one, but finding a good keeper at this level is hard to do - and that's where you're dead on the mark, najin.  Where are the better replacements going to come from?

versusterminus

« Reply #449 on: June 02, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
Who's watching the rehearsal match now versus Belgium?

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #450 on: July 18, 2012, 03:19:01 AM »

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #451 on: July 18, 2012, 08:40:59 AM »
It is too bad that they have not been able to play well enough to deserve promotion to another league.  A few years ago it looked like they might actually become a major club but the sure have gone down hill.  In fact they started going down hill when Sean stepped away as director.  Maybe they need his 'mojo' to get back on the winning track.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #452 on: July 18, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
It is too bad that they have not been able to play well enough to deserve promotion to another league.  A few years ago it looked like they might actually become a major club but the sure have gone down hill.  In fact they started going down hill when Sean stepped away as director.  Maybe they need his 'mojo' to get back on the winning track.

They are a major club, najin - they're just not a very good one lately.  They 'deserved' promotion this time around, but they didn't make it - by a single spot kick - and you get what you earn, not what you deserve.  It's kind of like the Rangers in Scotland.  The players and coaches are the same ones that have been in the Scottish Premier league for years and years - but because the administration and owners screwed up (royally and then some), they are paying the price - first by being dissolved as a club and now, reformed under a new owner, at the bottom of the third division in Scottish football.  As far as the players go, they're still a major club.

Historically, the Blades have spent the vast majority of their existence in the top two flights of English football - since 1889, sixty seasons in the top tier and forty-two in the second level - only six years in the third (where they are now) . . . and one in the bottom.

From 1989 until last season, they were in either the Premier league (top division) or the Championship (second level) - granted, most of that was at the second level, but they weren't languishing in the Sunday leagues!

As far as Sean goes - I think, unfortunately, that long memories and a willingness to believe the worst (and a fair bit of jealousy on the part of some) precludes his ever being accepted again as a director - by the fans, anyway.  He's better off staying in the terraces.

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #453 on: July 18, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
Clubs in general have suddenly woken up to the fact that  a) they are not gods and b) they can't spend money like it's going out of fashion.

If Joe Public is having difficulty in feeding his kids - he's not going to have to £40 or more needed for a ticket for the football on Saturday.  If they can afford the ticket they can't afford the merchandising - a critical source of revenue for clubs.  (Not counting the programmes/drinks/snacks revenue) It's cheaper to buy a SKY TV package and watch it at home with a beer from the cut price shop down the road.  Advertisers are getting the jitters and have cut back.  Finally, HMRC (or Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs to you non brits) ie teh taxman has at last clamped down on non paymnet of taxes. Clubs have found themselves in court for non payment and faced hefty fines.  Suddenly it seems a good idea not to try out that dodgy offshore accountancy practice suggested by the foreign owner's accountant any more.

In short, they've had to grow up.  It's hard on those that get made redundant but at the end of the day, they are a business and have to start acting like one.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #454 on: August 11, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »
Capital One League Cup first round

Sheff Utd 2-2 Burton Albion

Burton Albion win 5-4 on penalties

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19124048

http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/20120811-burton-report-242479.aspx

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:23:40 PM by patch »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #455 on: August 11, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
sigh.

One day, we may actually win something on pens.

versusterminus

« Reply #456 on: August 18, 2012, 04:05:17 AM »
Happy bunny today, been waiting for PL to start since it ended.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #457 on: August 18, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »
And the first Chip Butty rendition of the season as we begin the season against Shrewsbury.

UTB!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #458 on: August 18, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »

versusterminus

« Reply #459 on: August 18, 2012, 04:26:32 PM »
Nil nil without RvP, rumors about a transfer though and plenty of new players. Talksport seemed to think we'd sold off Messiah. But he's just a very naughty boy. We'll be fine.