News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 300969 times)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #460 on: August 18, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »
Nil nil without RvP, rumors about a transfer though and plenty of new players. Talksport seemed to think we'd sold off Messiah. But he's just a very naughty boy. We'll be fine.

I suspect you're right. :)

What would talk radio be without hyperbole?  :evillaugh

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #461 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »

versusterminus

« Reply #462 on: August 20, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »
Nil nil without RvP, rumors about a transfer though and plenty of new players. Talksport seemed to think we'd sold off Messiah. But he's just a very naughty boy. We'll be fine.

I suspect you're right. :)

What would talk radio be without hyperbole?  :evillaugh

I listen to radio approximately once every 10 years and  its the same shit it's always been. At least on the mainstream channels. With that being said, UK radio IS a cut above many other stations.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #463 on: August 20, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
Ex-Sheffield United striker Ched Evans refused permission to appeal rape conviction

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/breaking-ex-sheffield-united-striker-ched-evans-refused-permission-to-appeal-rape-conviction-1-4851877

The appeal to a higher court will fail, also.  The courts are using him as an example and an object lesson. 

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #464 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:01 PM »
You are probably right about him being used as an example, and that is too bad.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #465 on: August 21, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #466 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »
I'll take the draw - but we should have put this one to bed in the first half.

Interesting turn in the commentary; apparently the new expert summariser is Kevin Blackwell!  It was sort of weird listening to the last gaffer talking about the squad under the new gaffer . . . but he's still a Bladesman.  That's all that matters. :)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #467 on: August 25, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #468 on: August 25, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
Once again - they should have won this.  They just can't seem to find the back of the net and the new squad has so many young ones that start to panic when the opposing side shows any vigor that they blow easy chances.

This was a particularly disappointing match.

versusterminus

« Reply #469 on: August 26, 2012, 09:34:27 AM »
Another disappointing draw for the Gooners. Well played mostly but just couldn't get it into the net. Can't take another match like this or confidence in players might start dwindling.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #470 on: August 26, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »
Another disappointing draw for the Gooners. Well played mostly but just couldn't get it into the net. Can't take another match like this or confidence in players might start dwindling.

Hang in there.  It's just the beginning of the season.  :hangin

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #471 on: August 31, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »
SHEFFIELD UNITED: Blades recognise Sheffield’s golden girl Jess Ennis

SHEFFIELD United have named a stand inside their ground after Jessica Ennis, the League One club announced last night.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-blades-recognise-sheffield-s-golden-girl-jess-ennis-1-4883244

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #472 on: September 01, 2012, 05:23:03 AM »
Sheffield United eye £320m deal

SHEFFIELD United owner Kevin McCabe last night insisted that a proposed multi-million pound deal with a Nigerian businessman could help catapult Danny Wilson’s side back towards the Premier League.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-united-eye-320m-deal-1-4887784

versusterminus

« Reply #473 on: September 01, 2012, 08:26:18 AM »
He didn't respond to some random inbox spam, did he?

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #474 on: September 01, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »

:catlaff

I think McCabe has wanted out for a while.  I also think it's a damn shame that English football has come down to nothing but money, but it's too late to change it.
The Blades are in trouble.  Their finances are 'safe', but they obviously don't have any to spare and certainly nothing splash out on a pricey player.  We've lost Monty (to Australia) and Quinny (to Hull) - and they picked up Dave Kitson yesterday, another player aging out of the system.  Unfortunately, without money you can't bring in the better players.  If they have skill, they can demand ridiculously high wages.  American gridiron football is the same, but at least the draft system means that clubs that are struggling have a shot at recruiting young players who have great potential.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #475 on: September 01, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #476 on: September 01, 2012, 10:33:16 PM »
 :goodjob:  Nice to see a win.

versusterminus

« Reply #477 on: September 02, 2012, 02:40:20 AM »

:catlaff

I think McCabe has wanted out for a while.  I also think it's a damn shame that English football has come down to nothing but money, but it's too late to change it.
The Blades are in trouble.  Their finances are 'safe', but they obviously don't have any to spare and certainly nothing splash out on a pricey player.  We've lost Monty (to Australia) and Quinny (to Hull) - and they picked up Dave Kitson yesterday, another player aging out of the system.  Unfortunately, without money you can't bring in the better players.  If they have skill, they can demand ridiculously high wages.  American gridiron football is the same, but at least the draft system means that clubs that are struggling have a shot at recruiting young players who have great potential.

Arsenal is one of the few teams in the premiership that doesn't consist solely of bought talent. It has a solid foundation with own players such as Walcott, Ramsey, etc. Our problem seems to be that we don't actually buy enough. There should be some sort of wage-ceiling in the premier league, as well as a change to the transfer rules cause as of right now, those with the most money win. Teams like Man C are ridiculous.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #478 on: September 02, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »
Arsenal is one of the few teams in the premiership that doesn't consist solely of bought talent. It has a solid foundation with own players such as Walcott, Ramsey, etc. Our problem seems to be that we don't actually buy enough. There should be some sort of wage-ceiling in the premier league, as well as a change to the transfer rules cause as of right now, those with the most money win. Teams like Man C are ridiculous.

Exactly.  A wage-ceiling would go a long way toward reestablishing some kind of equilibrium in the system.  I understand that the working life of a professional athlete is considerably shorter than an office worker, but I don't understand why that is sufficient reason (and that is always the excuse that people fall back on, when challenged) to ensure that they never have to lift a finger to work after they retire. 
This is a short - but interesting article on the topic: http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/05/05/Top-20-Highest-Paid-Players.aspx

What fascinates me is doing the conversion (using one of my favorite websites, http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/ ) of the wages from earlier decades.
A player earning £12 per week/£624 annually in 1947 would have an equivalent cost of living value in 2010 of £366 per week - or £19032 per year. 
Average pay in 1947 (according to the Financial Times) was £416.41 annually (£8 per week) - an equivalent of £12,800 in 2010.

In 1947, with the wage cap in place, football players were still making more than the average wage . . . but not like today.
 :wellll:

versusterminus

« Reply #479 on: September 02, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »

Exactly.  A wage-ceiling would go a long way toward reestablishing some kind of equilibrium in the system.  I understand that the working life of a professional athlete is considerably shorter than an office worker, but I don't understand why that is sufficient reason (and that is always the excuse that people fall back on, when challenged) to ensure that they never have to lift a finger to work after they retire. 
This is a short - but interesting article on the topic: http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/05/05/Top-20-Highest-Paid-Players.aspx

What fascinates me is doing the conversion (using one of my favorite websites, http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/ ) of the wages from earlier decades.
A player earning £12 per week/£624 annually in 1947 would have an equivalent cost of living value in 2010 of £366 per week - or £19032 per year. 
Average pay in 1947 (according to the Financial Times) was £416.41 annually (£8 per week) - an equivalent of £12,800 in 2010.

In 1947, with the wage cap in place, football players were still making more than the average wage . . . but not like today.
 :wellll:

There's no way of defending pays that players like Shrek, Gerrard, Torres, Zlatan etc. have today. They have accelerated beyond imaginable levels for way too long. Its sort of like for actors, really. Only actors can work all their lives, players ought to be happy if they have functioning knees at 35.

Liverpool FC - Arsenal 0-2

Our first win of the season, also our first two goals. Took us 210 minutes, but finally the new transfers Cazorla and Podolski got to score. Important mentally but it was a pretty weak Liverpool. Next couple of matches will be teams like Man U and Chelsea, where the real test for our new transfers will be. Its nervous now.

Also currently watching Southampton - Man U. Would love to see the Mancs lose.