News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheffield United  (Read 300887 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: Sheffield United
« Reply #560 on: December 29, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #561 on: December 29, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »
Sheff Utd 2-3 Hartlepool

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20822886

I actually turned this one off (metaphorically left the grounds before the whistle) - apparently the Blades just didn't feel like playing today.  And Danny was talking about how they were shooting for 90 points on the season.

Sure.  Great way to reach that goal - lose to a club that came into the match with NINE points.  NINE.  Now they have 12.  Kudos to them . . . not so much for the Blades.

*mutter*

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #562 on: December 31, 2012, 04:02:11 AM »
SOLDIERS were given a heroes’ welcome by fans when they were guests of honour at Sheffield United’s match against Hartlepool.

Troops from the Yorkshire Regiment’s Third Battalion who have just completed a tour of Afghanistan, their wives and children, plus families of 10 colleagues killed in the war zone were VIP guests at the Bramall Lane.

A group of 10 soldiers brought a wreath out on to the pitch and there was a minute’s silence in memory of those who died before the game, which also marked the Blades’ 150th anniversary.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/united-we-stand-1-5264727

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #563 on: January 01, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #564 on: January 05, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »
FA Cup third round

Oxford Utd 0-3 Sheff Utd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20863598

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #565 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #566 on: January 12, 2013, 11:06:39 AM »
I have the flu.  Not a cold.  The flu.  I'm on day six.  It sucks.

I got up to listen to this match.

I should have stayed in bed.

:censored:

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #567 on: January 12, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »
Thanks for the score and I am sorry you are sick.  Hope you get better soon.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #568 on: January 19, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »

versusterminus

« Reply #569 on: January 20, 2013, 07:38:23 AM »
First match for me in 3 months, 5 minutes in Chelsea's ahead one to nil. Yay.

versusterminus

« Reply #570 on: January 21, 2013, 06:30:35 AM »
Frustrating defeat. We picked up some slack in 2nd half but were still shite.

What made me laugh though were the commentators talking about how the weather was good for Arshavin (who's from Moscow) because it was Siberian. Please, -1c and snow is a lukewarm afternoon.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #571 on: January 22, 2013, 01:10:39 AM »
The League One fixture between Bury and Sheffield United on Tuesday has postponed because of a frozen pitch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21022529

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #572 on: January 22, 2013, 03:38:41 AM »
Doesn't surprise me.  The premiership sides with their undersoil heating etc are OK but lower league sides just don't have the funds to protect pitch and stands in this weather.

Fair play to DiCanio at Swindon who bought pizza for the hundreds of supporters who turned up at the weekend to help clear the pitch and stands of snow to allow their game to go on.

versusterminus

« Reply #573 on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:48 AM »
The League One fixture between Bury and Sheffield United on Tuesday has postponed because of a frozen pitch

Frozen pitch? That's brilliant to play on, ball has a very good bounce. They sound a bit spoiled.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #574 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »

Frozen pitch? That's brilliant to play on, ball has a very good bounce. They sound a bit spoiled.

The decision is made by the official, not the clubs - you know that.

versusterminus

« Reply #575 on: January 22, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »

The decision is made by the official, not the clubs - you know that.

Im quite aware of that, my critique isnt towards the club but mainly the standard to which the pitches are held.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #576 on: January 22, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »
Im quite aware of that, my critique isnt towards the club but mainly the standard to which the pitches are held.

Games get cancelled in bad weather at every level - undersoil heating won't save the day every time (remember 2010?) and not every club (even some premier league) can afford something that has limited success.

Yes it would be great if all the clubs had the best and brightest stadiums, but that's not the case - nor will it be anytime soon.

versusterminus

« Reply #577 on: January 22, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »

That is rather the opposite of what I was thinking, though. Play on muddy pits if you have to. At least in Premier League youre being paid enough.

Some of my best matches has been sliding through mixes of mud, water and grass in pouring rain. Thats when the sport comes alive.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #578 on: January 22, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »

That is rather the opposite of what I was thinking, though. Play on muddy pits if you have to. At least in Premier League youre being paid enough.

Some of my best matches has been sliding through mixes of mud, water and grass in pouring rain. Thats when the sport comes alive.

Absolutely agree with that - wet, muddy pitches make for very interesting footie - and fairly safe for the players.  Frozen skating rinks that are so hard that their studs can't get a grip - not so much!

I don't think undersoil heating is always the answer though - it appears (from a bit of research) that it isn't as effective as it could be hoped.  Works well to a certain point, but a combination of too much cold and too much snow overwhelms it.  Given the expense, I imagine that the lower league clubs can't justify the expense versus the effectiveness.
At least that's what I took away from the bit of research - I could be totally wrong (wouldn't be the first time . . .) !

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #579 on: January 22, 2013, 10:25:39 PM »
In the USA our NFL football used to be fun when watching mud, rain, snow games.  The players would slide and plumes of water would slosh up.  It was always fun to watch them covered in mud.  But that was in the 60's and 70's.  Players sometime had ankle injuries, but rarely knew injuries.  Then the went to AstroTurf, in the late 70's, 80's, and 90's.  All of a sudden knee injuries became prevalent.  Now most of the fields are grass with some sort of heating under the field in the colder areas.  So big chunks of turf come up but not the mud games of the past.  Not sure if these new fields have reduced injuries or not.  But I have to agree that heating is not always the answer.  The turf seems to be more of a mess then when it was natural with not heating.