News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crusoe Trailer and pics  (Read 16433 times)

Mike

Re: Crusoe Trailer and pics
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 02:53:29 AM »
Thanks lighty very useful hints for someone who even can't sew on a button.

tinytim

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 03:30:24 AM »
Very interesting. Thanks lighty!:-)

Myowyn

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 05:05:41 AM »
very interesting I would like to try to create a coat like that one, so thanks for the draw (dunno how is it calling in english?) if you could give more info I would be glad but feel free to pm for that if you can!

Am I wrong or not, did the woman o that time wear a corset too?

Mike

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 06:41:47 AM »
I think the wore one. You could be fat and in this thing you were slender. Nobody asked if you could breath but you were slender

Myowyn

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »
I've two of them and well it's true it's great believe me but I need help to put them on!

But I try to never close them to hard, I couldn't breath!

Mike

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 06:49:23 AM »
A friend of mine has one too the only thing I heard from her was I can't breath, I can't breath. After a while I just said then strip it. Women fight for it to throw it away and she bought one at ebay. stupid her.

Myowyn

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 06:57:59 AM »
it depend how you wear it, but I'm use to and I never close it to hard so it's nice, I can breath and I love that!

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 07:12:43 AM »
I would never wear a corset.  I try to wear as few clothes as possible.  I hate things around my neck, so I never wear turtle neck sweaters and most sweatshirts feel too tight on my neck too.  In the winter, when I'm inside the house, I wear short sleeve t-shirts.  I rarely wear anything heavy or thick like sweaters or sweatshirts.  I would have died if I had to wear all those clothes women wore back then.  Maybe I should join a nudist colony.

Myowyn

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 07:15:38 AM »
think so yes, MF, do you really like to test that???

I love these kind of clothes....... not the nudists........ corsets!  :mutley:

Soulmate

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 10:14:01 AM »
Same here, MF - but sometimes, for a special event, it is very nice to dress up like that - it feels much more female, sexy, you move and walk in a very different way.
But I am happy too that we have a choice - they didnt. And I can´t stand wool - I would die if I´d have to wear wool socks or underwear - am a cotton or silk type.  Sean looked comfortable though - am just not sure if his hairstyle was authentic?

Myowyn

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »
 :agreed: we have the choice women of that time hadn't, you're really tru on that!

But just as you I'm also feeling sexier like that, coz the body is better with than without! just for me!)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »
Myowyn - in english it's called a "pattern."

Here's a pattern for a justaucorp - note that it is the fuller version, rather than the narrower.  You can adjust the fullness in the back by removing one (or two) of the gores in the back on pieces "A" and "C".  If you're not familiar with pattern drafting (drawing your own patterns based on your measurements), you might want to start with something a little simpler than this, though.  By all means, cut it out in cheap muslin first (always a good idea anyway) and consider investing in a tailor's dummy: example here (http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/13/70/23467013.jpg) - it's almost essential for proper fitting.

Women did wear corsets (called stays until the mid-18th century), although they were different from the modern kind that nip in the waist and emphasize the breasts.  The purpose of their corsets was to provide posture support - and flatten and lift . . . flatten the breasts and force them up because that's what fashion demanded (see pictures - 17th, 18th, 19th century).  They were probably a lot more comfy than the 19th century version because they weren't as constricting around the waist.  A good discussion of the development of corsets is http://www.farthingales.on.ca/corset.htm.  That's where the pictures come from:

Handspun wool is much less likely to irritate than modern wool garments you buy in shops.  Mass produced wool starts with treating the wool with a chemical that dissolves all the vegetable matter (seeds/grass/burrs/etc).  It does a pretty good job, but it also alters the texture of the hair shaft.  If you look at a strand of wool under magnification, you'll notice that it has overlapping "scales" - when the hair is spun into thread, those scales catch on each other and bind together.  That's why wool cloth is so dense and sturdy, and why it can be felted (literally matted) into a solid mass.  Normally, those scales will close (lie down) after they hair relaxes . . . the chemical that removes the vegetable matter makes them stay open all the time.  And that makes the wool scratchy because its like each hair has teeny tiny teeth on it.

Some wool is naturally hard or harsh - usually that's used for rugs and stuff, not clothing.  Some wool is as soft as silk (unless its chemically altered).  Handspinners' do not use chemicals - I wash my wool with dish soap and remove the vegetable matter manually (yes, it is tedious and not perfect).

Some people who think they are allergic to wool because it makes them itch are really allergic to the chemicals used to treat it; or they are just reacting to the scratchiness of the treated wool.  Some people are allergic to lanolin, the natural grease produced by sheep that remains on the wool even after it is washed.

If you really hate wool, find a handspinner and ask them if you can fondle something they have spun . . . you may be surprised at the difference.

His hairstyle?  Not so much - really not for someone of his class.  For working class folk, probably (though it might have been longer and worn in a queue).  He should be wearing a peruke or periwig.  I saw one picture of Sam Neill (in the trailer, I think) and he is wearing one, so they do realise that most men did.

Mike

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 02:51:26 AM »
You know that it's very healthy to wear. The inside organs can be injured.

Health risks

Glénard's disease is the most common illness caused by prolonged corset use. It is characterized by lack of abdominal muscle tone and visceral displacement.
The use of a corset has two basic risks: compression of the chest and downward pressure on the abdomen.

Compression of chest

The natural stomach and a stomach deformed from the use of corset. The chest cavity can vary in size due to a number of floating ribs. If a corset is correctly fitted, the wearer's posture should be upright; the corset should provide pressure from below the ribcage, rather than on either side. A correctly fitted corset will seem too big around the chest before it is tightened. Beginners should be careful not to exert too much pressure on the ribs and chest cavity.
Improper corset use may deform the stomach and liver.
Wearing a tight corset may lead to difficulty breathing, or more use of intercostal breathing . Tightlacers are more likely to notice this, as the volume of the lungs diminishes.
Developing children are far more vulnerable to the potential health risks of corset use. As such, corsets should only be worn by fully-formed adults, never by growing children.

Downward pressure on the abdomen

The abdomen can be covered by a skirt. Those seeking to save money may buy a cheap corset that ends at the top of the abdomen, pressing down on the abdomen (as seen in a previous image). A more expensive corset will have some sort of abdomen support, whether that be in the form of a busk, front lacing or a hip belt.

Myowyn

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 06:16:53 AM »
Thanks Lighty for the info about doing a pattern, I will try first something easier! But hope one day doing that!

Mike I agree with what you explained and it's also what I said. I mean I never close it to hardly, coz if you can't breath, it won't be great but I stay on my first position and yes, it's sexy if it's well weared.

But I also agree about the corsets of these times, they were really different from now, so it was impossible to move well, like just catching something on the ground. The back must stay really right and if the corset was going lower, it was also hurting when the woman sat down. I can't come inside the specificities coz my english isn't good enough, I could explain it in french but not in english!
Sorry I hope you will be able by my words to understand what I've said!

Mike

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 06:58:40 AM »
Yes dear I understood what you meant. I tried to find something in French but I could find anything and I can't translate it. My French is lousy. I couldn't even buy cigarettes and this would be very important for me.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 07:09:36 AM »
I still say I'll pass on the corset and just wear a sexy teddy instead.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 07:11:57 AM »
Right corset takes to long to get it off

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 07:13:32 AM »
I still say I'll pass on the corset and just wear a sexy teddy instead.

Mike

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2008, 07:18:10 AM »
 :laffat:

I guess that isn't MF was talking about.

Good to see that you are back healthy BF.

Myowyn

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 07:43:22 AM »
 :laffat: this teddy is really fantastic, but how do you put it on you, is it really sexy????

I can already imgine a man taking off your clothes and finding this teddy!   :laffat:

I would also pay to see that!

Don't mind mike if you can't find something in french, that's ok! But I still believe a corset is sexy!  :sooobad