News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diets  (Read 6179 times)

Lady Jane

Diets
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:39:32 PM »
Yeah, I know, I've said a bad word! I dont know if we all see the same banner ads on this site, if we do then you will have seen the one about a flatter stomach, if not, this is the one Im talking about
http://www.helensdiet.com/blog/rachael-oprahs-diet.php
I read it earlier and though Im not really overweight I do hate my pot belly, no amout of diet or exercise has ever gotten rid of it.
Could these products really work or are they too good to be true? I saw this on Oprah so its not a bogus diet pill. I went ahead and ordered a trial as it is free and the shipping cost is very low. "Helen" in the ad claims to be from Donegal (as I am) but that is just a marketing ploy as the tone of the piece is 100 % American. That does not put me off, as it is only very slightly dishonest, and probably whatever part of the world you live in "Helen" will be from the same area, as a way to grab your attention and establish an element of trust. I would value your opinions on this ad. Am I being a mug? I have never bought any medical type product over the net, far too smart for that, but this one has me intrigued!! What you think? Worth a go or a lot of poo?

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: Diets
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:07:25 PM »
I don't remember seeing that particular banner ad here, but I have seen some of those ads (or similar ones, elsewhere).  I clicked on your link and Helen said that she is from Asheville, North Carolina.  I'm nearby in South Carolina. 

I know that there has been a lot of press about acai berry being so good for you and helping with weight loss.  I had even thought about getting some from one of these ads that had only low shipping costs.  I'm very skeptical about weight loss pills though, so I didn't go ahead and place the order.  From what I've always heard, they don't work and some can have bad side effects, like making you jittery.  I do know that acai is supposed to be different and natural, then past weight loss pills.  I have seen a lot of it in the natural food stores that I go to.

I would love it if this was true and if these pills really worked.  It would be great to lose some weight.  Please let us know how it works for you.  I see that there are a lot of comments on that page and that they are all very positive, which makes me wonder if they are fake.  It seems like the colon cleanse part of the pills may make you lose some weight, just as taking a lot of laxatives might.  I'd say go for it, since there has been a lot of talk about the wonders of the acai berry.  Hopefully, it's not all hype and there is some truth to the claims.

Offline exbill

• Bad Boys Club
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
LJ be very careful with these ads . The partner of one of the guys on my shift sent for some dieting pills ( not the same ones you mentioned ) on a one off trial for £38. They have been taking £38 out of her account every few days since even though she has tried to block it. The bank say they cannot do anything about it for 14 days because it is not a direct debit/standing order. The company you have mentioned may be on the level but just be wary.

Offline Dusty

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 12:48:46 AM »
I'm even more sceptical because of the two comparison pictures on that site. Those pills gave her more hair. You can see in the 'before' her hairline is far back on her forehead (as if she's lost a patch of hair), and in the 'after' she has a normal hairline. It is not the same girl in both pics.
Let's not even mention that Helen is now from... Miami.
When I attempted to leave the site, I got a popup box with some drabble about something or other. Make that of it what you will.

:rofl
On occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary ~James Nicoll

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:32:38 AM »
Girls, I'm terribly sorry but those things don't work. Someone mentioned being jittery as a side effect, but just think of where the jittery may come from. There are pills around that affect the thyroid and YES you lose weight, but after that you're whole metabolism goes awry and it won't be normal again. There is really some dangerous stuff around, apart from the fact that you pay good money for it. I have weight problem too, but the only thing that really helps is eating sensibly and taking excercise. I know exactly what my problem is. And oprah recommends it? Come on, girls, is oprah your friendly family doctor? No, Oprah wants to make money, and she has been succeeding so far. So why not a diet pill? I seem to remember the last time I saw her, she could use a few of the pills herself. What I mostly abhor about an ad like this is that someone who has had weight problems all her life will attach her name to it, just because it will make her more money than she already has. Sorry.  :backout

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
I'm with BJ on this one.  I had some health issues three years ago and can distinctly remember my well-respected doctor telling me that I needed to drop some weight, but NOT to resort to any diet pills.  I dropped 50 pounds over 8 months and have managed to keep it off.  It was due to a heavy fiber, low fat, no refined sugar and no dairy but for skim milk.  My exercise was horse riding and walking.  LOTS of walking using a long, brisk stride, even if its just a trip to the bathroom.  Stretch out those legs and make those hips move.  And NO between meals snacks, no pizza, no fast food other than Subway, no gravy, sauces, mayo or creamy dressings, and no ice cream.

tinytim

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 02:56:29 PM »
I must agree! There is no such thing as a wonder pill or a wonder recipe to reduce weight.
O.K.  I have no weight problems, but I must add I did and do a lot of sweat-inducing sports as long as I live. I love that and I need it for my body and also for my soul!! AND I eat healthy food:  Means a lot of vegetables, low fat fish and high fibre carbohydrates. Fortunately I really like and prefer this sort of food.
I don't think that everybody have to act in the same way. It's perhaps a kind of disposition, likes and dislikes. And to torture oneself never helps in the long run. Although I’m convinced that this is in large the only way to reduce weight constantly.

Move yourself in a way you like! Find it out. Walking is great, ride a bike instead of taking the bus, take the stairs instead of the lift etc. Take care what you eat! AND... very important: Take your time!!!!

Unfortunately no wonder will happen without any efforts. These ads are only about making money and your would be well advised to save your money for things which are actually worth it. And be aware that a lot of these magic cures are often enough dangerous or at least unhealthy. 

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »
I'm going to add a couple of provisos to the "eat right and exercise" mantra, ladies.

If you don't get exercise and you do eat 'for the moment' then yes, you probably need to change up your life style a bit.

If you DO take exercise and you DO watch your diet, and  you're still struggling with weight . . . consider a few other possibilities.

A lot of it has to do with age (so, LJ, you're in your 30s, yes?  Your metabolism is starting to slow down and you need to adjust to that).

If you're older, don't forget about things like menopause.  Peri-menopause can wreck havoc with your hormone levels and that can cause unintended and unexpected weight gain.

As you get older, you stand more of a chance of developing hypo-thryroidism, which can cause weight gain even if you're an exercise and nutrition fiend.

It's not as simple as 'eat right and exercise' . . .

And crunches DO NOT WORK.  Stop screwing up your back trying to get rid of a pot belly.

Lady Jane

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:34:49 AM »
Thank you all for the advice. I do try to eat sensibly but have a weakness for pizza and junk food in general, but I try to limit my intake. As I said, Im not overweight, just need to improve my muscle tone. But as I am also  a lazy cow perhaps thats why these instant fixes appeal to me! Will probably try the berry pills when/if they arrive. I can always stop taking them if I notice any side effects. Not so sure about the "colon cleanse" thing, sounds too icky, and lazatives as a way to weight loss is never a good idea. Ive never been on a diet, as such. My older sister had an eating disorder when she was growing up, so the constant focus on food in my house when I was young has resulted in me having an aversion to diets and also, to an extent, to food itself. I view food now as a necessary evil, I eat to live, but I do not derive the pleasure from food that I see other people enjoy.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 06:16:36 PM »
As I said, Im not overweight, just need to improve my muscle tone. But as I am also  a lazy cow...

I resemble that remark!  :P  Unfortunately... I'm overweight.  People say it ain't so, but for my frame... I am... and my doctor will remind me of it again on Wednesday... especially if my blood pressure is high again.  I also love to cook and I love to eat... and I have a weakness for potato chips.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
Meden agan.

Live moderately.
Love immoderately.
Hate not at all.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 07:13:49 PM »
I think I hear some Pringles calling me.  I have a coupon even...

Offline norskmom

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »
Oh why did you have to mention Pringles? Salty snacks are my addiction.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »
Pringles are gross . . . blech.

Make your own crisps!  Warm from the stove, with curry dipping sauce.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »
Gods... don't even go there lighty!  Home made crisps are the closest thing to heaven this side of the earth... especially if made from sweet potato.

Offline norskmom

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:26 PM »
Wow ! Lighty...I make homemade crisps as well as chlps with curry sauce quite often. Good stuff! The only reason I'm craving Pringles is becaue Sylvene mentioned them and I'm PMSing. Bad Sylvene!! (I swear they most have changed the recipe though, they used to taste much better years ago or my taste buds have changed.) Hubby came home from his meeting and gave me smokehoues almonds instead so I'm a happy camper.

creighton

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 08:36:14 AM »
Be careful of any diet pills from any ad. Newspapers,mags,tv. My daughter picked some up from Walgreens that had been advertised on tv.
I took them and they caused my heart to race. Before they wore off I was afraid I was going to have to get medical help. I actually began to feel very paranoid. So be very careful before taking anything like that without first consulting a Dr. everyones reaction to them is different. My daughter has no problem with them and has lost 35 pounds. She is a bit bitchy though. I have finally come to realize there is no quick weight loss. There is no pill going to get it off. Proper diet and exercise is the only healthy way to do it.

Lady Jane

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
Began taking the Life Cleanse/acai berry pills today, fingers crossed. If I notice any side effects I will stop taking them at once.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 03:55:54 PM »
That's a coincidence that you started taking the pills today, Lady Jane.  For some reason this morning, I remembered this thread and wondered if you had gotten them yet.