News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First case of swine flu on SBO  (Read 8293 times)

tinytim

First case of swine flu on SBO
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:34:29 AM »
Hi there,

I write this above all to hush fears. Swine flu is a very nasty thing but if you are quite healthy in common you will survive! Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to write these words here. lol

I tend to get injured or ill in my holidays. (Don’t ask me why! *gg*) This year I fall over my shoes in the first week and bruise my tailbone. A painful and prolonged injury, but nothing serious. So I though, o.k. that’s it for this year and were quite optimistic to enjoy the rest of the holidays.

Last Saturday I awaked with a slight sore throat. I went to my spinning course, though, because I thought an hour of sweating would be a good idea now. After that I did my shopping’s for the weekend and went home. And that was it. End of the flagpole. It began at a moment's notice. I’ve never had such shivering attacks in my life before. Two feather beds, a heating blanket and a hottie and in spite of that freezing like hell.
Saturday and Sunday were the worst days with fever (slight in my case), these horrible shivering attacks, a heavy diarrhoea and of course cold and cough.   I’m quite weakened now and I have difficulties in breathing, but I’m alive;-) The doc said that the spook will be over in a week if everything goes right. He told me not to leave my flat this week because of the danger of infection. I’m sure even without that advice I would not go anywhere because just brushing my teeth was so exhausting that I needed a little rest after it.

So - if you don’t count among the at-risk-groups: Swine flu is not nice, but nothing to panic! 

Btw. If you think you are infected, call your doctor before visiting the surgery. I did and they were quite thankful for that. They told me to come at a time when the surgery isn’t so much frequented. And of course they try to avoid that infected persons have a seat in the waiting room.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: First case of swine flu on SBO
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »
I'm sorry that you've been so sick, tinytim.  It sounds like you've had a very bad time.  The difficulty in breathing is scary and having such chills must have been  horrible.  I"m glad that you are over the worst of it and I hope that you will be fully recuperated soon.  You probably don't have much appetite, but I'm sure you know to drink plenty of liquids to keep from getting dehydrated, and to try to eat a little something to give you nourishment.

I've had a sore throat since Saturday that won't go away, and also a little bit of stomach trouble, but that's it.  I think I just have some kind of virus.

Take care and be well soon!

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »
nice tinytim to know you're well, and me, I work in a hospital  and in spain, the vaccine will be obligatory for all the persons who are employed at the hospitals, we're persons of risk for the simple fact of being employed at a hospital

tinytim

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:57:05 AM »
Thanks for for your sympathy and good wishes. :-)

... in spain, the vaccine will be obligatory for all the persons who are employed at the hospitals, we're persons of risk for the simple fact of being employed at a hospital

That's good, galamb. I actually don't know if it's the same in Germany.

@MF. In the first days drinking had no effect (don't want to explain in detail why..lol), but now I try to drink as much as possible. Appetite is quite poor, but will surely come back soon.

There are so many cases of swine flu in my area, that they aren't obliged to register anymore. The doctor makes a rapid test and that's it. Vaccine is still reserved for the case of an extensive epidemie and then particularly for the at-risk-groups.

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »
Oh TT you poor thing. you're not meant to be sick on your holiday.
They've stopped registering it or diagnosing it properly here. You just call a help line which is apparently manned by 16 year old school leavers and if you answer yes to the appropriate questions they give you a reference number to send someone to collect the Tamiflu from the chemist. You don;t see the doctor and you are not supposed to go to a chemist yourself. My other half runs a pharmacy which is a designated Tamiflu centre whcih means people are supposed to send their 'flu buddy' to collect stuff for them, but he's had to put a notice up asking people not to come in the shop if they have swine flu. People are so stupid -they come in to a shop full of sick at risk people never mind the healthy staff, when they've been told not to go out anywhere!
Wishing you a speedy recovery now TT and hope you get some of your holiday back. :thumbsup:

PS Galamb as health workers and me and the other half are supposed to be first in line for the vaccine in the Aututmn as well. They'll have to catch us and tie us down first!

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
We're a long way from you, TT, but at least we can send moral support.  As for all you hypochondriacs out there *ahem, BJ, ahem* take heed of what TT says and know that there is NO reason for panic.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
Oh my gracious, TT.  That must have been scary.  I'm glad you feel better now, even if weakened.  Take care and get well soon!

Offline RnRPaintGrL

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:54:57 AM »
Hope you feel better soon. Get lots of rest and watch lots of Sharpe's. That will bring you right. Hypochondriacs only need to know one word, Lysol! ( for those who don't know its a cleaner that kills germs) I prefer the wipes, they are easier to control where the cleaner goes.

Lady Jane

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
Sorry to hear you've been ill TT. Hopefully you are on the mend now. Get plenty of rest and be kind to yourself, that means you can have whatever you fancy, without guilt! And look on the bright side, you've had it now you wont get it again!

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »
Yes, LJ is right. Hope you will be better soon. And to all those people talking about hypochondriacs:  :lalalala

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
Hope you're recovered soon, TT! Some tea and toast, maybe?

Offline norskmom

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 10:54:18 PM »
So sorry you are under the weather TT. Hope you feel better soon. Lots of rest and plenty of fluids. You'll be right as rain in no time.

tinytim

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 05:32:58 AM »
Ohhhh….You are all so sweet! Thank you so much, guys.  :hug: Mental support ever helps!:-)

But I didn’t post that to complain. I just wanted to tell you that swine flu isn’t worse than any other flu. I agree with my doc…  Swine flu is not least a big deal for the pharmaceutical industry (thinking of the company that came up with tamiflu). Especially if you keep in mind, that the death rate here in Europe is comparable to any other of the autumnal flus that reaches us every year.

Btw. (BJ: close your ears!!!;-)) I don’t think that you really can protect yourself. It has also a lot to do with good or bad luck. I was not at work and spent the last days before the outbreak with long bike trips along the Rhine. Alone. No crowds of people. I just did some shopping’s in the supermarket. So the chance to get infected was in fact much lower than usual.

creighton

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »
Get well soon TT. Around Caddo people are getting sore throats and congestion. Just normal for the beginning change of season. I woke up this morning with sore throat and coughing like crazy. Not worried about it but if fever comes poor Chelsea will not be permitted to attend school. Notices are out from the school that if any student has a sick relative in the household the child is not to attend school for 2 days. Really stupid. Get plenty of rest TT. Good thoughts sent your way.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 07:47:53 AM »
Swine flu is under control now

:mutley:

Lady Jane

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 08:30:19 AM »
 :mutley: I hear there is an oinkment available now!

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 08:33:45 AM »
I imagine working like that

tinytim

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:05 AM »
 :rofl Mike!!!!

Jaja...Wer den Schaden hat.... - Very mean....but very funny! Bitch! :pink

kimmy

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 02:24:22 PM »
Hey TT!  There's a silver lining.... I bet you can wear your skinny jeans now!

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
ROFL, all of you!  I particularly like the picture, Mike.