News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ireland or France ,Hands up?  (Read 3128 times)

Lady Jane

Ireland or France ,Hands up?
« on: November 19, 2009, 02:09:25 PM »
As many may know already, Ireland lost out on a place in the World Cup last night to France. France scored when Thierry Henry guided the ball with his hand to the foot of his French teammate who then scored. The Ref claimed not to have seen the hand ball and the goal was allowed to stand. Every Irish person is sick and disgusted today as you can imagine. Personally I'm so upset today i can't even think straight. If anyone is interested in reading a little more on this subject here's a link to a news report today
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1119/ireland.html

I know it's only football and we should probably all get a grip, but everyone is so gutted, it's very hard to just let it slide. Plus, as someone said at work today, a place in the World Cup means a huge financial boost to the FAI, money which is passed down to all the small clubs in the country. So everyone will pay for that decision. The only message any kids will take from last nights match is ;if you want to win - cheat!

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
Re: Ireland or France ,Hands up?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »
I didn;t watch it but that's all anyone is talking about today. I don;t understand why the authorities can'r do anything about it when even Henry has admitted a foul. Why don;t they have the 4th official watching a video so that this sort of thing doesn;t happen.  The teams shouldn't have been seeded either -it makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:56:20 PM »
It's an absolute travesty - and if this doesn't FINALLY lead to some serious discussion of the role of the fourth official then both UEFA and FIFA should be ashamed.  The power of the referee's is getting out of control when the governing associations bend over and accept such a blatant cheat just because the ref let it pass.

I feel so sorry for Ireland.  They played their hearts out and France was just pissing up and down the pitch.  I've seen comments suggesting that it's Ireland's fault for losing because they still had plenty of time to score after that happened, but that's really not taking into account how devastated they all felt in the wake of such an awful call.

It is small consolation that Henry's reputation will never recover.

My sympathies, LJ.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:58:48 AM »
Yeah... even I heard about it.  Here in un-footie mad USA.  That's a bludy shame.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »
Syl, have you seen the gate figures for the new MLS expansion team (the Seattle Sounders) there this season?  OVER 30,000 - average.  That's equivalent to the average for the entire Premier League!  The average for the MLS was just over 15,000 - that's about the same as the Championship in the UK.

I think the US is becoming fairly footy-mad . . .

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
Perhaps.  :D  The Sounders is a good solid team.