News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modern Tech vs. The Past  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
Modern Tech vs. The Past
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
Yes, Sable is an anti-Facebook person:

We have: Facebook
They had: Dinner parties
You remember that bit in the Stephen King film Misery where Kathy Bates' character ties up an author and smashes his feet to pieces? It's the perfect metaphor for Facebook. The login window is the snowy car crash, your home page is Kathy Bates' bedroom, and the status updates are a sledgehammer hobbling you. Only Facebook doesn't hobble once: Facebook hobbles you every minute. Forever. Let's keep that image fresh in our minds, and compare it to a dinner party. In times past, people would have these delightful gatherings where they would sit and talk to each other.

Right, so on one hand we have Kathy Bates smashing your feet to pieces, and on the other we have a quiet gathering of friends, a tender chicken lightly dappled with provençal sauce, a zesty white wine and some topical conversation. Think about it. Really think about it. Now make your choice.

Best thing about Facebook: Divorce proceedings.
Best thing about dinner parties: Pudding.

Winner: Dinner parties.

Source:  http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49303991,00.htm

And of course, I wouldn't have found the article if not for:

We have: Viruses
They had: A real Trojan horse
Computer viruses: they're everywhere. Well, unless you're a Mac user, but they're going to figure out how to get you too, any day now. It takes about half a second for an unprotected machine to accumulate so much spyware and related junk that it becomes a sort of lawn-sprinkler, spurting more malware and spyware across to its other unprotected computer friends. There's nothing more inelegant and pointless than a computer virus.

The real Trojan horse -- the one used to sack Troy in the movie Troy, and debatably in 'real history' -- is amazing. Those silly Trojans thought the giant wooden horse outside their city gate was a present from the gods. Turned out it was packed full of Greeks, eager to go postal.

Best thing about viruses: Absolutely nothing.
Best thing about a real Trojan horse: Sean Bean.

Winner: Trojan horse.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
Re: Modern Tech vs. The Past
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »
ROFL!  ROFL!  ROFL!

Of course the advantage of Facebook is that I can have a virtual dinner party with diverse friends from all over the globe.

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:14:11 PM »
With you on oth counts Sable - i hate Facebook and only joined to see my kids' pictures at uni and my son won't add me as a friend anyway!
And i definitely agree with the article about the best bit of Troy!! :thumbsup:

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
I don't belong to Facebook, although it seems like everyone else in the world does.

I also agree that Sean Bean is the best thing about a real Trojan horse!

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 05:09:42 PM »
Technology is as good as it is useful.  If it isn't useful, it's not good.

I use Facebook, but not to the extent that many do - I don't play the games and I don't post pictures.  It's a semi-convenient method of getting hold of people; it lends itself to the sort of short commentary that I am occasionally inclined to make; and it's a way of at least keeping an eye on a loop, even if I'm not in it.  I would never share anything truly personal about myself and I will never put a picture of myself on that site.  I don't friend people unless I know who they are (speaking of which - you never did explain that suggestion that I friend 'Georgina Sutcliffe', Sable . . . )

Same goes for most technology.  I can and will use it, with care, if it is useful to me.  If it's not, no dice.  And that person's analogy to Kathy Bates makes no sense - unless you are one of those people that get addicted to technologies and can't walk away.  Then they are a hobble; otherwise, just a tool.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
I don't friend people unless I know who they are (speaking of which - you never did explain that suggestion that I friend 'Georgina Sutcliffe', Sable . . . )

Gee, I didn't???  Well, I just thought it was a good idea since you seem to admire her so much...  :mutley:

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »
I don't friend people unless I know who they are (speaking of which - you never did explain that suggestion that I friend 'Georgina Sutcliffe', Sable . . . )

Gee, I didn't???  Well, I just thought it was a good idea since you seem to admire her so much...  :mutley:

Smart arse. :nananana:

Did you?  Friend her, that is.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:13:09 PM »
She tried to get ME to friend her.  Said she might bite because I'm a published journalist.  ROFL.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
I believe we should move this particular off-shoot of the discussion . . .