News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Black Death reviews  (Read 39871 times)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: Variety Review of Black Death
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »
Thank you lighty for sharing your knowledge with us.

Would have been better if I hadn't forgotten all my Latin lessons.

:mutley:

Thanks very interesting.

I don't recall learning either bulgarus or pissiare in my Latin classes . . . I think my eduction was censored!

Mike

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
 :mutley:

shalgerson

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
Hey !!     :holycrap    I learned pissiare in my Latin classes -- and that was in High School!!    :evillaugh    :backout

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
Hey !!     :holycrap    I learned pissiare in my Latin classes -- and that was in High School!!    :evillaugh    :backout

Well, to be honest - I may have learned it, but simply don't recall doing it!  Makes sense I would have, since my professor taught for a couple of years at the Jack Karouac School of Disembodied Poetics (Naropa Institute - now University) in Boulder, Colorado . . . he was totally 'cool, man' - yeah know?

I do remember that he once gave us a pop quiz with only one phrase.  We agonized over it - the words were easy enough to translate, but it was obviously idiomatic.  After an hour or so, he took pity on us.  He had written the phrase himself - it was the Latin version of:

"That dog don't hunt"

I can't recall it exactly, but it used canis and some form of indagare . . .

:funshit:

Mike

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 04:55:02 AM »
I don't recall learning either bulgarus or pissiare in my Latin classes . . . I think my eduction was censored!

I looked into my books. Yes I learnd it. And I had a priest as teacher for a year but he was cool.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 09:12:38 AM »
Bean is stony-faced throughout, the stoicism that first appeared in LOTR here ramped up as things take a turn into Wicker Man-esque weirdness

Overall this is violent and gory, but full of excellent, emotionally charged performances and a very British sense of the odd that’s been sorely lacking from horror for many a year. Not afraid to face weighty issues and wear it’s philosophy on it’s sleeve, Black Death is one of the finest horrors released this year and should summon it’s own hefty cult following in years to come.

http://slashingtheseats.net/2010/06/06/review-black-death/

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »
So, the reviewer likes the film, but thinks that Sean is weird?

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 05:40:31 PM »
Weird?  In what way? That he can actually ACT compared to US actors?  Or is he simply clueless about Sean's body of work?

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 09:10:47 PM »
You are sooooo right about amerian actors!!! They cann't act all they can do is POSE!!!!!Or they use the same bland expression
for all emotions!!!!!( N. CAGE ) But that's just as good what SEAN does. Right? :snark

seanya_ro

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 06:27:11 AM »
http://thelondoneer.blogspot.com/2010/06/black-death.html

you really should go and see it as I think it represents Sean Bean and Clarice Van Outen's most significant roles in ages. If you're of a weak constitution I will warn you, however, that there are lots of scenes centred around brutality and blood-letting...

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 06:55:28 AM »
Set in the plague year of 1348, Christopher Smith’s best film to date is a tale of fundamentalist Christianity, fearful superstition and atavistic paganism. Based on a fluid, intelligent screenplay by Dario Poloni, it marks Smith out as Britain’s most talented, least appreciated genre filmmaker. Striking visuals, confident storytelling, authentically grubby settings and an unsettling moral relativism combine to make his fourth feature emotionally involving, action-packed and thought-provoking.

http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/88560/black-death.html

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »
sorry I can't see that movie in spain, it seems interesting

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 08:12:59 AM »
Though its title must rank as one of the most off-putting in film history, Black Death isn't as bad as you might fear. It is unquestionably very grim, but the fresh-faced Eddie Redmayne gives an achingly soulful performance to counter the gore and the generally dark, disease-ridden air of 14th century England. He stars as a young monk struggling to keep the faith as the bubonic plague goes biblical, but a typically gruff Sean Bean has no such trouble as a crusading knight of the realm. Together they are the angel and the devil sitting on the shoulder of organised religion

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/moviereviews/a224330/black-death.html

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »
really liked this film, I had been expecting a fairly standard swords-and-sorcery affair but it’s actually much more interesting than that. About halfway through it morphs into a kind of atheist horror story as it emerges that the villagers aren’t devil-worshipers at all but a bunch of militant Richard-Dawkins types reject the existence of God.

http://www.profoundlymoving.com/2010/06/black-death/

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
, Smith ups his game here with a satisfyingly sinister film and even manages to coax a commanding performance from Bean as the warrior who's "more dangerous than the plague

http://www.hornseyjournal.co.uk/content/haringey/hornseyjournal/whatson/story.aspx?brand=ISLGOnline&category=whatsoncinema&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=whatsonhcej&itemid=WeED09%20Jun%202010%2017%3A01%3A49%3A870

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »
Black Death is the week's best fiction film, if only on the basis that being hit by a medieval corpse cart is preferable to being hit by a pantechnicon carrying the world's patriarchal prejudices. Like the recent Valhalla Rising , this journey-allegory involving a band of warrior Christians trekking to a promised land is filmed in stripped colours and scarified textures and scored to electronic music.

Sean Bean is the chief soldier-monk, moving in with his men on a plague-free village said to be practising sorcery. Dutch actress Carice Van Houten ( Black Book ), fetching in lipstick and blonde hair, is the alleged witch and necromancer. A sexually conflicted young monk (Eddie Redmayne) seems to have wandered in from Greenberg . Otherwise everything is rather good in a style that Tarantino would call "getting medieval on your ass".

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3130e190-7427-11df-87f5-00144feabdc0.html

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 01:49:39 AM »
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/505646/black_death_review.html

l
Osmund, the young monk (as played by Eddie Redmayne), would be the viewer's normal point of relation, but his youth, innocence and ignorance make him difficult to side with. Sean Bean's towering performance easily supports the weight of the film and, combined with his look, can't help but bring about memories of Boromir, but it's a massive asset to the film and one that I relished (you can read my thoughts on Boromir in one of our lists here).

It is a film that is as compelling as it challenging, cleverly managing to avoid casting judgement over either those with firm religious beliefs, or those without. And by transcending those age old debates, it can focus on a much more universal theme: that acts of violence committed by one person on another is always wrong, regardless of the cause or justification.

So, while Black Death may not be an easy journey, it's more than deserving of your time and money and comes highly recommended. Just make sure you're not alone when you do it.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:25:13 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 07:00:44 AM »
Black Death is a sturdy genre movie and Smith has done well to create a grimy and gruesome world that has plot which is smarter than that of your average slasher. But its unfocused characters and lack of pacing serve to hamstring a good premise and prevent it from being truly great[/quote

http://blog.onthebox.com/2010/06/10/black-death-review-down-with-the-sickness/

This is bracing, often brutal stuff, set in a world where, as Ulric says, ‘God has slipped over the horizon

http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/88560/black-death.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:08:40 AM by patch »

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 09:13:46 AM »
I"m glad to see these good reviews of the film and Sean.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 11:09:10 AM »
I"m glad to see these good reviews of the film and Sean.

Yup.  A pity I won't be watching it!  

So, while Black Death may not be an easy journey, it's more than deserving of your time and money and comes highly recommended. Just make sure you're not alone when you do it.

Sylvene doesn't do horror movies.