News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cash competition  (Read 9143 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Cash competition
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:17:01 PM »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/fun-games/competitions/2010/03/04/win-47in-lg-hd-tv-dvd-player-115875-22085514/

To celebrate the DVD release of psychological thriller CA$H - starring Sean Bean and Chris Hemsworth - one winner will receive a hoard of goodies, including a 47in TV, a speaker system, portable DVD player, a Playstation 3 and a digital camera courtesy of Momentum Pictures.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:33:19 PM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: Cash competition
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
http://www.theatresmoa.com/events.htm

Cuffed for Ca$h? Would you join 10 strangers, for an entire week, handcuffed to a massive briefcase in Mall of America® for a chance to win $20,000???

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:34:15 PM by patch »

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 10:19:46 PM »
For a chance to win $20K?  No.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:38:08 PM »
I think all these contests are great.  I don't know if the 'film' (company/distributor/whomever) is behind them or if they're spinning off by themselves, but what fantastic publicity for the movie!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:57:55 AM »
My daughter saw a TV commercial for the UK DVD release of Cash on MTV.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 08:24:36 AM »
http://www.theatresmoa.com/events.htm

Cuffed for Ca$h? Would you join 10 strangers, for an entire week, handcuffed to a massive briefcase in Mall of America® for a chance to win $20,000???

As much as I would like the money, I would never enter into a competition like that.  I don't know what it would entail, and what the contestants have to go through and have to do to their fellow competitors, but I'm sure I would be the first one eliminated.  I would not be any good at something like that at all.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:08:54 AM »
Those sort of contests used to be incredibly popular for shopping malls and car dealerships and such to put on back in the 1980s when we (as a nation) were reeling under the effects of then President Reagan's trickle-down economic policies that were driving the lower middle class into near penury (much like now).

I think they appeal both for the chance to 'win' something and for the entertainment value - I recall one put on by a car dealership that lead to a near riot in a mall in Denver.  The contest required the participants to keep one hand (at least) on the 'prize' (a car) for 24 hours (and yes, there were NO bathroom breaks allowed).

As is often the case, the final three candidates were all female.  They were tired, cranky, hungry, etc - literally at the end of their ropes.  One of them was accused by another of lifting her hand from the car while switching hands.  Screaming and cursing ensued.  The accuser lost her temper and took a swing at the accused - who managed to keep her hands of the car.  The combatant was evicted from the contest.

She was dragged away, literally . . . and came back 10 minutes later with a group of her friends, invaded the area . . . and all hell broke loose (as it can only do when women are doing the fighting).  They showed it on the news for weeks!

They gave the car to the third contestant, who maintained the presence of mind to keep dodging the fighting for as long as she could, even climbing on TOP of the car to keep contact.

Crazy stuff.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
I recall seeing a episode of '' My Name is Earl'' about a contest to win a car.
Years ago there was a movie "They shoot Horses don't they?" about a dance contest.The last couple standing winning the prize.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 11:45:55 AM »
Those sort of contests used to be incredibly popular for shopping malls and car dealerships and such to put on back in the 1980s when we (as a nation) were reeling under the effects of then President Reagan's trickle-down economic policies that were driving the lower middle class into near penury (much like now).

I think they appeal both for the chance to 'win' something and for the entertainment value - I recall one put on by a car dealership that lead to a near riot in a mall in Denver.  The contest required the participants to keep one hand (at least) on the 'prize' (a car) for 24 hours (and yes, there were NO bathroom breaks allowed).

As is often the case, the final three candidates were all female.  They were tired, cranky, hungry, etc - literally at the end of their ropes.  One of them was accused by another of lifting her hand from the car while switching hands.  Screaming and cursing ensued.  The accuser lost her temper and took a swing at the accused - who managed to keep her hands of the car.  The combatant was evicted from the contest.

She was dragged away, literally . . . and came back 10 minutes later with a group of her friends, invaded the area . . . and all hell broke loose (as it can only do when women are doing the fighting).  They showed it on the news for weeks!

They gave the car to the third contestant, who maintained the presence of mind to keep dodging the fighting for as long as she could, even clim
bing on TOP of the car to keep contact.

Crazy stuff.

This is exactly the reason why I would never enter in anything like that, however much I could use the money. I'd rather starve than make a spectacle of myself doing something like it.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »
I recall seeing a episode of '' My Name is Earl'' about a contest to win a car.
Years ago there was a movie "They shoot Horses don't they?" about a dance contest.The last couple standing winning the prize.

Endurance dance contests were one of the earliest 20th century forms of this sort of thing (they did other, equally stupid things in the 19th century) - they started in the 1920s, mostly among the flapper set - but the Great Depression gave them meaning beyond just youthful 'fun' since they offered the chance for a monetary prize.  Some went on for MONTHS.

Interestingly (for me, anyway!), the first marathon dancing on record (discounting bacchanalia, which wasn't - erm - organized - and tended to end up with men getting killed by crazed women . . .) was in 14th century Germany.  It was considered to be an outbreak of St Vitus Dance, until it became apparent that the people had been bitten by tarantulas - the venom of which was supposed to make people jerk and jump and run around excitedly.  This is one of the presumed word origins for the dance called the tarentella (not the case in Germany, but the idea of the spider bite).  Anyway, these people 'danced' for hours.

Chances are strong that people just felt like dancing, since the spider bite (particularly tarantula bite) scenario is pretty lame!

Here's one video - there are plenty more, I'm sure (I show this clip to my classes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw1afR4mLvw

This is exactly the reason why I would never enter in anything like that, however much I could use the money. I'd rather starve than make a spectacle of myself doing something like it.

I agree - it's not something I could bring myself to do.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 12:34:23 PM »
Healthy people doing stupid stuff like that to their bodies ......

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 04:34:24 PM »
Not that I would compete in an endurance contest anyway, but if I did, the first problem that I would have is the bathroom one, since I have to pee so frequently.  I can't believe that the people holding the contests would be so unfeeling as to not allow bathroom breaks.  Do they get their kicks watching people wet themselves, or suffering trying to hold it in?

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
Not that I would compete in an endurance contest anyway, but if I did, the first problem that I would have is the bathroom one, since I have to pee so frequently.  I can't believe that the people holding the contests would be so unfeeling as to not allow bathroom breaks.  Do they get their kicks watching people wet themselves, or suffering trying to hold it in?

I'd imagine they didn't need to go to the loo very often - dehydration would start setting in pretty quickly, even if you were just sitting with your hand on a car (or maybe they just wet themselves). 

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 06:43:18 PM »
Depends

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
Depends

Yeah, these days those are probably the answer.  ick.

Eve

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »
I have too much self respect to do something like that.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
You really have to wonder why people go on things like that.  Like why do they go on Jerry Springer or some of those reality shows that make them look like complete morons without a stitch of self-respect?

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 10:28:57 PM »
You really have to wonder why people go on things like that.  Like why do they go on Jerry Springer or some of those reality shows that make them look like complete morons without a stitch of self-respect?

Because 100 is the average IQ.

:bang:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:09:16 AM by patch »

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »
Patch, could you just post the picture? Everybody who is not on Facebook can't open it.