News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Age of Heroes reviews  (Read 3344 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Age of Heroes reviews
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:18:22 AM »
Physically imposing Bean is reliable as the unit's gruff commander

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117945185/

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: Age of Heroes reviews
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »
Why is it that people who don't like certain film genres always wind up reviewing those genres?  Mr Gant is clearly no fan of war flicks in general - so why bother writing the review?  Do they get paid by the word?

He didn't even bother doing a lick of research on the background of the 30 Commando unit, choosing instead to suggest that it may or may not have been a 'real' thing.  That's just shoddy, and had he written that review for my class (I actually do have students write movie reviews of historical films), he'd have received a failing grade.

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »
Agreed.  That seems to happen a lot.   But what this guy finds as negative, I usually like so it wont deter me from renting the DVD.  However it  might prevent others and that is a shame.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:15:22 AM »
Is Sean Bean our era's Jack Hawkins? If that thought has ever occurred to you, then he is a perfect fit for Age Of Heroes, a well-crafted little war film which manages to lifts parts of virtually every familiar bank-holiday boys-own war movie of the past three generations, including but not limited to The Guns Of Navarone, The Eagle Has Landed, and The Dirty Dozen.

As I said, it's frustrating that a film made so well, its action handled so deftly by director Adrian Vitoria, has so little new to say.

http://irresistibletargets.blogspot.com/2011/05/age-of-heroes-assault-on-familiar.html

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:55:47 AM »
This British thriller chugs along at a not terribly exciting pace, not helped by Miko’s perfect hairstyle and make-up, which remains so throughout the long walk through difficult terrain and all weathers, and the rather automaton style of acting by Bean and Dyer. A lot of little incidents as well as larger action–based episodes take place but the film just doesn’t lead to the nail-biting excitement which one should get from this type of movie. You may be interested to hear that two sequels are planned.

http://www.close-upfilm.com/2011/05/age-of-heroes-15-close-up-film-review/

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:54:09 AM »
ANYONE who grew up on manly matinées of The Heroes Of Telemark or Where Eagles Dare might just take a shine to low-budget Second World War adventure yarn Age Of Heroes.

Inspired by true events in the life of James Bond creator Ian Fleming, the film charts a daring commando raid on a German radar research station in Norway.

Sean Bean is a gruff, reliable presence as Major Jones with Danny Dyer as bolshie corporal Rains and William Houston as stalwart Scot Mac. The gruelling training, clandestine mission and sacrifice is familiar Boy's Own stuff but the lack of a decent budget really hurts the film

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/247763/Age-of-Heroes-film-review-and-trailer

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »

The Metro reviewers (who, quite frankly seem to be so 'hip' that nothing normal is worth seeing) came up with this.

From the distributor who brought you Age of the Dragons (a sci-fi/medieval take on Moby Dick starring Vinnie Jones and Danny Glover) comes this boringly bad effort. Sean Bean and Danny Dyer co-star in this true story of the formation of Ian Fleming's 30 Commando Unit. Mercifully it's on limited release

It may not sound good but it's no worse than most of the rest of this week's reviews.  The worst of the vitriol was reserved for Johnny Depp and the latest pirates film.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »
I never read reviews normally and I never pay any attention to them.  If I had I don't think I would have discovered even half of my most loved films.

I'm still trying to find which cinemas are actually showing it - 'Limited Release' but where?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:41:54 PM by Jess »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 02:03:06 AM »

Age of Heroes DVD review.

However, where the film does deliver is with the action scenes. While early scenes in Dunkirk may look like they were shot in the Forest of Dean, when the film relocates to Norway, it sets the stage for some decent snow-bound action. The combat scenes are actually very well handled, with director, Adrian Vitoria, delivering the requisite gunfire and explosions with aplomb. It's just a shame that the film's centrepiece, the German radar compound, is clearly a few sheds built out in a forest

http://www.denofgeek.com/Reviews/932541/age_of_heroes_dvd_review.html