News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Book club rule, don't mention Sean Bean  (Read 3879 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Book club rule, don't mention Sean Bean
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:05:40 AM »
Want to run a successful book club? Avoid wine, steer clear of Middlemarch and don't mention Sean Bean

And members say any clubs which discuss Sean Bean are 'destined for failure.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/9268847/Want-to-run-a-successful-book-club-Avoid-wine-steer-clear-of-Middlemarch-and-dont-mention-Sean-Bean.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:14:34 AM by patch »

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
Re: Book club rule, don't mention Sean Bean
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:51:53 AM »
I can see not drinking wine or reading the classics but it is hard to believe that discussing Sean Bean could kill a book club.  So how many book clubs have failed because of Sean?  The article does not say.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:47:34 AM »
No wine?  Welllllllll....pbfttttttttttt...then what's the point of bothering to go? And never mention our costume-drama-adapted-from-books expert?  Truly, pointless! Talk about a boring waste of time!  Social clubs should be fun, first and most.  If I want staidness and politically correct discourse I'll just go to work.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
 :thumbsup:

And I happen to love 19th cent. lit.

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »
I have the misfortune to be married to someone who likes activity holidays (water based).  Even more unfortunately the holiday companies we tend to travel with are used mostly by what could be classed as professional/middle class people.  

As a result, I flop onto the nearest sunbed for a serious bit of reading on day one (the reading material strictly of the 'not thinking too much/ entertaining read' variety) surrounded by thirty somethings wielding hefty tomes that look like textbooks.  A discussion will follow between them as to who recommended what and how this holiday is going to be used to improve their minds as well as their skills on the water.   Invariably said books end up in the sand unread as their owners fall asleep (or find something better to do).

As I'm generally older than the rest of them I, and my tastes, are usually ignored (generally because I can be seen to be reading some bodice ripper and am therefore not worthy of being included in a serious book conversation.

What really, really, annoys me is that halfway trhough the holiday I'll run out of books and head to the hotel bookshelf to deposit what I brought and pick up a few new ones to read.   You can guarantee that all the serious stuff will be packed on there and my bodice rippers will disappear within a couple of hours (I suspect to be read in the privacy of the rooms). I have a deep suspicion of book clubs that aim to improve the mind (and generally wouldn't trust anyone that read the Torygraph anyway).  

I once went on holiday and met a girl at dinner who stopped talking to me after 10 minutes when she discovered that I didn't read teh Financial Times every day.  The fact that I didn't was evidence (apparently) that I lacked the intellect to converse at her level. I told her I had a life instead.  She didn't seem amused -for some reason!

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
The Financial Times?   Ewwwwwwwww......................

Well, there's no accounting for taste ...

I myself have never ever thought it important what others thought I should read. I read what I like. It's MY time. Even at school, my literature list looked rather different from what the others had. I couldn't care less. If I want to read a good bodice ripper, I will and if I want to read 19th. cent. stuff I will too. Off to read in my Dictionary of Sarcasm .....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:32:13 AM by Blue Jay »

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:36:25 PM »
Our book club consists of eating lots of good food and playing games - usually rousing rounds of "piss and moan" (better known as "hand and foot")

Occasionally we talk books while playing - sometimes high lit and sometimes the latest thriller.  We occasionally discuss Sean Bean, too - and it hasn't led to the demise of the club in a decade.
Of course we're old farts and don't care what other people think!

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
Can I become a member too?

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »
Our book club consists of eating lots of good food and playing games - usually rousing rounds of "piss and moan" (better known as "hand and foot")

Occasionally we talk books while playing - sometimes high lit and sometimes the latest thriller.  We occasionally discuss Sean Bean, too - and it hasn't led to the demise of the club in a decade.
Of course we're old farts and don't care what other people think!

That sounds like my kind of book club, lighty! 

moonchild

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »

And members say any clubs which discuss Sean Bean are 'destined for failure.'

What a peculiar thing to say. I wish they'd given some context and more explanation. It actually sounds like a roundabout compliment -- Sean is more interesting than any book and will hopelessly divert the discussion.

Offline Cora

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 08:18:06 PM »
It actually sounds like a roundabout compliment -- Sean is more interesting than any book and will hopelessly divert the discussion.

That’s the impression that I got, too. Once his name gets mentioned everyone starts talking about Sean and to hell with the books! A lot of Sean’s best roles have been adaptations from books, so I bet his name is bound to come up quite a bit. Best of luck to any book club that tries to impose a Sean Bean ban. It’ll never work. He’s too much fun to talk about!

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
It actually sounds like a roundabout compliment -- Sean is more interesting than any book and will hopelessly divert the discussion.

That’s the impression that I got, too. Once his name gets mentioned everyone starts talking about Sean and to hell with the books!

Yup!  Sounds like it!