News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird flavoured crisps  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
Weird flavoured crisps
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »
They even have Henderson's Relish flavoured crisps. OUr boy should love those:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/04/british-crisps/

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: Weird flavoured crisps
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »
We've been getting some interesting ones here lately, also. I had some Kansas City Steak and Loaded Stadium Dogs just last week.

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:13 AM »
Well that's official - I've always been weird as I've always liked Cheese and Onion crisps.

I've never seen the Yorkshire brand - I suspect it's very local.  Fairfield I've come across when I've been over toward the east coast.  Tayto is an irish brand which I've tasted when I was there for a visit - they tend to be quite greasy and artifical tasting (or the ones I tried were).   Walkers started out as local to the midlands but spread rapidly due to a very aggressive marketing campaign.  They do special campaigns with new (and sometimes very weird) flavours - sweet and sour and the great britsh breakfast spring to mind.  Tyrells are the most interesting one. As well as potatoes they use other root crops such as parsnips, beetroot and carrots.  They're based somewhere in Hereford but have spread south and tend to be marketed as a bit of a superior crisp. I've not come across the Devon ones -  I'm not sure how I've managed to miss them so far.  I'll be looking out for them.  Not that I'm a crisp junkie or anything like that.

Going off tangent a bit - if you want weird - our local supermarket was doing Christmas dinner pizzas at the end of last year  (Pizza base with turkey, bacon strips and mini stuffing balls).  Now they're doing 'sweet' pizza. (Base with vanilla cream topped with mini marshmallows and chocolate shavings drizzled with raspberry sauce).   Now that truly is awful.

Offline norskmom

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »
I have tried the Henderson's crisps and they are quite good. My boys eat them up like they are candy. We usually spend at least a week in Sheffield every year  during our trips to the UK. As much as I enjoy the Henderson crisps, I find that just pouring some Henderson's relish in a bag of plain salted crisps and giving it a good shake are just as good.  Sable, I haven't forgotten that I owe you a care package.  :foryou:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:02:03 PM by norskmom »

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
ISable, I haven't forgotten that I owe you a care package.  :foryou:

Siggie, you always surprise me!  :thumbsup:   I'll be in Vegas in early May so I'll make Lighty take me to the International grocery store there. They usually have a selection of Walkers but not the newer flavors. Still don't have a Lush store anywhere near me, though.

Offline norskmom

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:00:24 PM »
Thai crisps and Karma soap headed your way as soon as I get over the flu.  :thumbsup:

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »
Siggie, you rock!  :snoopy:

Amber

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 09:19:07 PM »
Haven't tried the Hendo's flavour ones - bit of a purist as I like it in its natural form - but the tomato, basil and mozzarella ones are v. good which reminds me that I still have some hidden away at the back of the pantry for a day when I fall off the diet wagon.  Need to fall soon then as I have some Crabtree and Evelyn lemon and white chocolate cookies in the same place!

Amber

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 07:09:50 PM »

Oh the power of the subconscious, having never had the Hendo's flavoured ones, guess what just happened to 'fall' into my bag today, along with their Roast Lamb and Mint Sauce flavour - they were in TKMaxx of all places, go figure!

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 12:48:58 AM »
I've become quite addicted to Lay's potato crisps new flavors, particularly the Mango Salsa flavor and the Garlic Cheesebread and the Double Cheddar and Black Pepper. The Wasabi Ginger is really interesting as is the Cappucino. I think the Frito-Lay people have finally figured out that there are more things in life than BBQ and Sour Cream and Onion. I still miss the Burts Guinness and the Walkers Sweet Chili and Worcestershire flavors. I hope Lay's keeps on trying to catch up to the Brits when it comes to variety.

Offline Karrie A

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
Our new trial flavours from Lays this year are Mac and Cheese Jalapeno, bacon poutine, and cinnamon bun. Unimpressed with all of them. (For those who want  to know - poutine is chips, gravy and cheese curds. Millions of variations these days including duck  and lobster.)

Amber

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
Duck and lobster together or separately?  I am always amazed at what gets put with what but then I can't even fathom kedgeree - who in their right mind thought of putting egg and fish and rice together, let alone for breakfast -yeuch!

Offline Karrie A

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »
Oops! Separate. In the duck poutine the chips are fried in duck fat as well! (Yech.) I don't mind kedgeree-I've had it a few times.
By the way another flavour of crisps that Lays is trying out is tzatziki sauce.  Here in Canada we are probably best known as the home of ketchup flavoured crisps.

In Canada we call crisps chips. We call chips French fries or chips.

Amber

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
I wouldn't think it was very healthy to have anything cooked in duck fat on a regular basis, even the duck itself!  Having said that, we always have duck at Christmas and the roast potatoes cooked in the duck fat are a wonderful once-a-year treat, though cooked in goose fat is even better.