News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A thought for our webmistress and her state today  (Read 3764 times)

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
A thought for our webmistress and her state today
« on: May 21, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
I'm sure everyone knows that the town of Moore, Oklahoma was hit by a devastating tornado yesterday.

Today, our webmiss, Sable, is busy doing what she can to help - with plenty of volunteers helping the humans, she is working with many others to try and help the horses who were injured.  Reports are that as many as a 100 - probably more - died, and many, many more are suffering now.

Sable, please know that we're thinking about you, the citizens or Moore and the state of Oklahoma - and all of our four-legged friends, of every size, who have suffered so much.

Hugs.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: A thought for our webmistress and her state today
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
SableThinking of you!

Offline PamMcM

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
Bless you, Sable

Annakarenina

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »
Horrendous photos in the UK press today - can only imagine a fraction of what it must be like to be there. Bless you Sable and may you stay safe yourself!   

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
Sable I hope that your family and friends are all okay.  I feel helpless sitting here in Colorado.  But I have donated money and went around to my neighbors to collect money and other donations for the Salvation Army to send to Oklahoma.  I only wish there was more I could.  Thank you for helping and my prayers are with you and everyone in Oklahoma.

Offline Cora

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 11:10:16 PM »
The pictures of the devastation leave me speechless. So much heartbreak and loss. Best wishes to you, Sable, and best of luck helping all of God's creatures in the wake of this tragedy. Peace. ♥

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:49:59 AM by patch »

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:53 AM »
The pictures and stories have been horrific and, at times, overwhelming.

My thoughts are with everyone in the state at this time.

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
of course, also in spain, my best wishes for oklahoma

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »

http://www.habitatforhorses.org/horses-killed-in-oklahoma-tornado/

Moore Oklahoma Tornado Lost and Found Animals

https://www.facebook.com/OKpets

With great sadness, I have to report that this horse in this photo was later put down due to a severe head injury. There wasn't anything we could do. The horses that have survived total a mere 2% and some are not out of the woods yet. There is still one little mare trapped in the rubble that is in pretty good shape and she is being kept fed, watered, calm and comfortable and people have been able to get in to her while they dig her out. She should be freed by this afternoon. Thankfully, no photos of any of the animals killed or the cleanup in progress have been found posted anywhere, but given the numbers of sightseers that came out just to take photos of the devastation I am sure there will eventually be some, especially as the recovery progresses..

We moved the last of the horses out of the area yesterday while the bulldozer that FEMA sent to the site was doing its grisly work. The animals are all doing well and quickly decompressing from the stress and shock. They are truly amazing little troopers. I do not plan on going back in to the area. My heart just hurts too bad.

I took some photos of the hardest hit area of horse farms and training facilities. The reason there were so many horses in the area was because Remington Park Quarter Horse racing session opens this coming weekend and there were many racing stables that had already arrived at the training facilities where they board during the session. For those with Facebook access, the photos are on my page at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150468230654115.458792.682924114&type=3

The Lost and Found Animals page that Patch posted contains probably the most comprehensive collection of ways to support the recovery effort. Thank you all for your support as Oklahoma works to come through this.

~Sable

Offline ayllass

• The Powder Room
  • Ian's Treasure
  • Boromir's Nurse
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 02:10:19 PM »
You are all so much in our thoughts Sable. Everyone I speak to is moved by what has happened.
Be strong! Love and hugs x

Famam extendere factis - By our deeds we are known

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
Sable, thank you so much for helping the horses affected and injured from the tornado.  I hope that the mare will soon be rescued and will be okay.  It's all heartbreaking.  I have sent a donation to the Disaster Relief Fund of the Humane Society of the United States as well as to the Red Cross.  I salute those of you who are physically helping the tornado victims.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »
Its been a very busy week or so for me. Things have gotten more or less organized and we have identified some critical needs. The Humane Society has taken on the giant task of trapping the roaming cats and dogs in the disaster area who are still too shell-shocked and frightened to either return to the remains of their homes or to be approached by humans while volunteer shelters and vets have managed the small animals collected so far. There have been a good many reunifications of owners with pets.  We are still pulling large animals from the more remote areas that were hit. I know that Oklahoma is a long way away for most of you, but there are ways for you to help. As you have heard, the impact on the horse population in the areas of the Oklahoma tornadoes was severe. While the world has responded magnanimously to the human tragedy, the response to the large animal tragedy has been done on a much smaller, and for the most part, very local scale.

Everyone can help. Perhaps you can do a fundraising event in your area??? For injured horses and large animals, Doc Wiley is in need of donations to cover the ever-growing pharmacy costs for the tornado horse victims in his care. Please consider a donation directly to Doc Wiley or to the pharmacy service. Doc Wiley is also serving as a supply source for many of the people who have taken in injured animals.

Equi-Center Veterinary Hospital
Michael J Wiley
6600 W Rock Creek Road
Norman, OK 73072-2019
405-366-9328
Just tell them you want to donate to Tornado victims. You can pay by credit card or send checks. He has many clients that have lost everything and need our help.

Essential Pharmacy Compounding
620 North 114th St,
Omaha, NE 68154
402-408-0015
Just tell them you want to donate towards the pharmacy costs for the tornado victims at Equi-Center Veterinary Hospital. They also have a critical needs list from whichyou can specify the item(s) you would like to donate.

We are working on an Amazon Wish List for the long term needs of the recovering animals which will make it easier for our International friends to be a part of this massive effort. If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions please drop me a PM.

Thank you, Beanie Babes!

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:53:51 AM »
 Thank you for doing this.  It is good to know legitimate groups who will provide immediate help.   :thanks1

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »
Forgot to ask, would each of you be so kind as to copy and paste this to your Facebook walls??? Or send out a mass email???

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »
Done and done.  Thank you, Sable.  :thanks1

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
You got it.  I have lots of horse friends and I know they will donate money.